This number over Death Strike

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
What is that? Is that telling me how many times I can death strike with my runes?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight
The number appearing(and increasing) is your Scent of Blood stacks.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=49509/scent-of-blood
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
So wait for like 2-5 stacks and use? Does it help you to time death strikes better?
Reply Quote
27 Pandaren Warrior
Use Death Strike when you need to.

The only reason you should be holding off on Death Strikes is to maximize your Blood Shield from incoming damage.

The SoB stacks are just a bonus; icing on the cake, so to speak. Higher SoB stacks are great, of course, but since the proc rate is random, I wouldn't go out of my way to try to stack them while tanking.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Use Death Strike when you need to.

The only reason you should be holding off on Death Strikes is to maximize your Blood Shield from incoming damage.

The SoB stacks are just a bonus; icing on the cake, so to speak. Higher SoB stacks are great, of course, but since the proc rate is random, I wouldn't go out of my way to try to stack them while tanking.

The proc rate isn't random. It'll proc any time you hit your target with a melee.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Sigh....

Your successful main-hand autoattacks have a chance to increase the healing and minimum healing done by your next Death Strike within 20 sec by 20%, and to generate 10 Runic Power. This effect stacks up to 5 times.

CHANCE...
Reply Quote
27 Pandaren Warrior
03/02/2013 03:14 AMPosted by Fàbulous
The proc rate isn't random. It'll proc any time you hit your target with a melee.

That's not true anymore. :c
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
@Machival

Yep try it on a training dummy and see the stacks grow, another great reason to have yourself hit and exp capped other than dps(and agro) is the blood shield mitigation from bigger DS.
Reply Quote
27 Pandaren Warrior
@Machival

Yep try it on a training dummy and see the stacks grow, another great reason to have yourself hit and exp capped other than dps(and agro) is the blood shield mitigation from bigger DS.

My DK is hit capped and expertise soft capped.

The tooltip says that it's a chance, though, so I assumed that it was, y'know... a chance.

I did test it, though, and it is a 100% chance on normal melee hits. Sorry for mis-info there. They should really reflect that on the tooltip. >:c

However, this still doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't be going out of your way to stack SoB before using Death Strikes, as incoming damage taken w/in the last 5 seconds from most raid bosses is going to outweigh the bonus that you gain from waiting for higher SoB stacks.
Edited by Machival on 3/3/2013 8:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
You dont need to save Scent of Blood for anything. It's just extra.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Scent of Blood and Death Strike
Many people have come to the conclusion that you should wait until you have high stacks of SoB before using Death Strike. This is simply not true, and your current stacks of SoB should have no affect on how you use Death Strike.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7416264606
This is your bible. Get to know it. Reniat continues to do an amazing job with this guide. The information within is something you can trust.
Edited by Ginxer on 3/4/2013 12:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
03/02/2013 04:23 AMPosted by Cataclysmik
CHANCE...

Right, it is a chance, but given that a fixed percentage is not given, it must be on the PPM system. Therefore, to determine the chance, you must determine the PPM. If you go through this process, you'll see that the "chance" for a 2H weapon is greater than 100%, and that the chance for DW is less than 100%. Since you will be tanking with a 2H, it is guaranteed on every successful auto attack.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
The chance thing still being in the tooltip is really unnecessary. The chance at this point is if you miss on your auto attacks. So for example it's practically impossible to cap against dodge & parry as a tank so there is always the chance you won't get a stack. Hence it says chance. But it' s a 100% chance on hit. You just have to hit the mob. Being a DW tank actually makes it harder on your self because the hit chance goes to the toilet for auto attacks to do so.
Reply Quote
27 Pandaren Warrior
03/04/2013 04:01 PMPosted by Tor
But it' s a 100% chance on hit.

This is correct from what I saw in a 20 minute test on Raider's Training Dummy.

Again, sorry for spreading mis-info.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]