Illuminated Healing OP?

90 Human Priest
Why is paladins top healing spell always Illuminated Healing? What other healing class gets such an OP Mastery? It almost seems to demean the rest of paladins healing spells. Even on fights like Garalon where it is you don't have the opportunity to top off the raid for absorptions to shine paladins top healing spell on parses is still Illuminated Healing. Why wasn't that tuned in 5.2? Mastery down healing up maybe?
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
If they buffed healing for paladins technically it would be a buff to illuminated healing as well. since a holy paladins mastery comes from a percent of the healing done.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
If used correctly with Eternal Flame, it will constantly be the top healing ability of ours. It especially works well on AoE intensive fights like Garalon. However, it is not so op as you are thinking. Seeing as every other class at skill cap outheals the hell out of paladins, especially priests.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Most classes mastery is "op" ... just not all is directly spell related. Look at priests and their outrageous absorbs. My disc priest can pull like 90k heals without blinking in 485 gear because of mastery. If you look at monk healing too and monks stacking mastery (which I'm not sure many are because i don't think that's the 'way to go') but they have a lot of healing attributed to their mastery as well.

I think pallies are def properly balanced right now, having their mastery be their top heal does not make their overall healing ability OP at all.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
03/05/2013 08:41 AMPosted by Nighttstorm
Even on fights like Garalon where it is you don't have the opportunity to top off the raid for absorptions to shine paladins top healing spell on parses is still Illuminated Healing

Why would people need to be full health for Hpallies mastery to dominate? Every heal they cast auto applies IH and it hardly ever falls off. Paladins need strong spells because they lack a "get out of jail free card" i.e. tranq, DH, HTT.

Hpallies are in a good place right now. Very powerful healer that really isn't "overpowered"
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
People should never use galaron as an example of healing, ever.

That is all i have to add to this topic.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Hpallies are in a good place right now. Very powerful healer that really isn't "overpowered"

Have you seen a Holy Paladin on Heroic Megaera using Arcing Light? You should, they're insanely good! :P
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
03/05/2013 09:23 AMPosted by Ceddya

Have you seen a Holy Paladin on Heroic Megaera using Arcing Light? You should, they're insanely good! :P

Imagine if Arcing Light applied this "OP" mastery! =)

Mmmm, Light's Hammer is gonna be amazing on that fight.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Paladin mastery doesn't compete with spells, it simply props some spells up. Like eternal flame since it keeps the mastery rolling until it is consumed.

Paladins do have burst CD's, they aren't some silly channel though... light's hammer does an easy 900+k with only a 1 min CD (without favor/wings) in sub 500ilvl gear. You can horde Holy Power, and you have real mana dumps which can provide strong burst AoE healing, as well as divine favor and wings.

That being said... IH's value is directly related to overheal. AKA as overheal increases in general in a raid, all raw non-shielding healing will decrease while absorbs will stay the same. Thus shields will look bigger relative to heals.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
03/05/2013 09:42 AMPosted by Duboomchikin

Imagine if Arcing Light applied this "OP" mastery! =)

Mmmm, Light's Hammer is gonna be amazing on that fight.

Shrooms, too, at the stack point.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
IH is strong but the real issue that some people have with it is simply better at 'sniping' certain heals like hots from my class. But I wouldn't want to state because of this fact that it's OP per se. I believe Blizzard had the right idea (although the wrong implementation) of this issue by increasing my healing across the board. And let's keep in mind this applies even more so to Disc priests.

A better way to have dealt with sniping at least from a druid's perspective would be to increase front-loaded healing on spells such as Rejuv and WildGrowth without increasing the spell's total output. Rejuv already has this mechanic and the the nature of such a change would help to alleviate potential sniping while granting limited 'burst' both of which would make most of us accept absorbs in a raid positive not personal light.
Edited by Moophious on 3/5/2013 11:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Why is paladins top healing spell always Illuminated Healing? What other healing class gets such an OP Mastery? It almost seems to demean the rest of paladins healing spells. Even on fights like Garalon where it is you don't have the opportunity to top off the raid for absorptions to shine paladins top healing spell on parses is still Illuminated Healing. Why wasn't that tuned in 5.2? Mastery down healing up maybe?

100k heal gets 12% (min) to 40% (my current) shield added on. The shield may or may not be used.

Speaking from personal experience, most of my reactive heals are sniped, due to slow cast times. The other healers are just faster and better suited to getting the raid back to full.... That said, if I know damage is coming, I can keep that damage off better. That's the trade off.

If the raid is stacked... I can pump a butt-ton of hps out... but it's all situational.

Yes, my mastery (IH) is going to be the lion's share of my healing, because it's more advantageous for me to apply a shield than to try and heal. Proactive vs reactive. Using HS whenever I can, HL (mana neutral) between HS's if damage isn't too bad, and EF to blanket, you get this shield coverage. Combine it with DP, and you start getting mana free casts where it just makes sense to put a shield on "someone," even if they aren't taking damage now.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

Every class, except monks, theirs is kind of bad. The difference is that only Holy Paladins and Mistweavers have an actual name for their mastery.

Also keep in mind that Holy Paladins have an incredibly amazing OMG t14 4pc. Once we lose that, you are going to see a big drop on our overall healing.
Edited by Ceresc on 3/12/2013 9:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/12/2013 09:22 AMPosted by Ceresc

Every class, except monks, theirs is kind of bad. The difference is that only Holy Paladins and Mistweavers have an actual name for their mastery.

Also keep in mind that Holy Paladins have an incredibly amazing OMG t14 4pc. Once we lose that, you are going to see a big drop on our overall healing.

Holy Priests do too, and Echo of Light will often be in my top heals, depending on the fight. But yeah, with Holy Paladins, its obvious how good their mastery is because it shows up as its own heal instead of a buff to all heals like Resto Shaman or Druid mastery. Monk mastery isn't too bad either, it just requires that the raid be smart. It's bad when you have raiders that aren't trained to move to the orbs.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
It's far too good.

Insanely better than Druid mastery, at least. You may not be able to see a Druid's mastery in the logs but you know exactly how much it contributed by looking at his armory. Druids who are stacking Mastery might end up with 26-28% raid buffed (as if most of this doesn't go straight to overheal, especially with a Paladin or Disc around -- same for Shaman). Paladins do a fair chunk more from their mastery, and their mastery is ABSORBS (making it far better than it would otherwise be). Illuminated Healing is rarely wasted.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
To be completely honest... Blizzard should recognize a pattern by now:

Aborbs GODMODE.

Regular heals go sit in a corner.

Disc Priests and Holy Paladins are the haves. Everyone else is the have nots.

Druids are OK now in 10s if not paired with those 2, and Holy Priests are on solid ground as well (Disc still appears to be a good bit superior on 10 in most T15 fights). The others are just LOL.

But it should be obvious how out of balance absorbs are and always will be. Something needs to be done.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
You can't really compare healing masteries on an individual basis; some will always be stronger and some will be weaker; you have to compare the overall package. If Healer X gets 40k HPS from his Mastery and 60k HPS from his spells and Healer Y gets 10K HPS from his Mastery and 90K HPS from his spells, it doesn't really matter; they are both doing the same output. The only thing it matters for is stat priorities for the individual specs.

So, you have to look at Holy Pallies overall. I think they are tuned mostly OK right now, if not maybe 5-10% too high given the amount of raid utility they bring. I do worry that their Mastery is going to scale too well with gear and possibly become a Disc Priest 5.1 like situation later in this tier. With 60%+ of their output coming from mana free healing sources (IH, LoD, Eternal Flame, Beacon, Daybreak), I could also see low Spirit builds becoming popular with a bit more gear.
Reply Quote
Yeah, really. You'd think it wouldn't be too hard to tweak absorb healers to have less emphasis on shields and more on actual healing. Make absorb-based masteries provide less absorb and then also buff some other aspect of the class's healing. The situation will never be perfect but it can definitely be closer than it is at present.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
Paladins, right now, are already getting 60%+ of their healing from free sources. Which is maybe what you were saying though it came on the heels of 'scale too well with gear.'
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]