Help With Affliction

1 Tauren Shaman
I've been playing with specs a bit on my warlock, and settled on Affliction.

It seems I don't really know what I'm doing. >.< I've been using Ask Mr. Robot for gearing and such and Icy Veins for my talents/glyphs/rotation; my dps is not nearly as high as I'd like it to be. My current ilvl is 474.

My question is: Do I stick with the Icy Veins setup, or should I try to use the setup in the sticky here on the forums?

Thank-you in advance.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
You really need to provide a bit more information. Glancing through Icy Veins, I'm sort of not seeing where it contradicts with the sticky. As for ask Mr. Robot, the default on it tells you to dip below hit cap and tells you to gem pure mastery over int/mastery; the former is a bad idea if you're still getting used to the rotation and the latter is for a higher ilevel because your stat weights change and Mr. Robot doesn't seem to account for that.

Stuff that might help: your glyphs, talents, hit/haste/mastery ratings. some idea of what damage you're actually pulling. As it is right now it's impossible to tell if your problem is gear, rotation or whether you're actually doing anything wrong at all in the first place.

The sticky is solid as far as I'm aware, it's what I've been following.
Edited by Samariel on 3/2/2013 1:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
I don't know why people bother posting on alts when asking for help.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
You really need to provide a bit more information. Glancing through Icy Veins, I'm sort of not seeing where it contradicts with the sticky. As for ask Mr. Robot, the default on it tells you to dip below hit cap and tells you to gem pure mastery over int/mastery; the former is a bad idea if you're still getting used to the rotation and the latter is for a higher ilevel because your stat weights change and Mr. Robot doesn't seem to account for that.

Stuff that might help: your glyphs, talents, hit/haste/mastery ratings. some idea of what damage you're actually pulling. As it is right now it's impossible to tell if your problem is gear, rotation or whether you're actually doing anything wrong at all in the first place.

The sticky is solid as far as I'm aware, it's what I've been following.

I'm currently pulling 30-40k.

Also, I've been using SoC for large groups, and that's probably not a good idea; I'm still learning the rotation.

03/02/2013 01:37 PMPosted by Varlth

I don't know why people bother posting at all if they're not adding something constructive to the conversation.

If you must know, I thought I had it set to this character for posting; it seems to have been incorrect.
Edited by Itarilde on 3/2/2013 1:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Hey there. I use Kil'jaeden's cunning instead of Mannoroth's fury.

First off, you definitely need Glyph of Soul Shards. Well, you won't once 5.2 hits but it's pretty important. As for rotation, in groups of 2-5ish I do soulburn + soulswap on 3 enemies, and haunt on one of them, and malefic grasp until haunt runs out. Then I manually apply a few dots on any that need it, and soul drain to build more shards if I need to. Malefic grasp if I don't. With 1-2 enemies, I sb:ss them both, haunt one, keep malefic up and all dots up. Drain soul at 20% always. I use observer (felguard) in heroics, and voidlord for solo play.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

And my rotation isn't perfect, I pull 58k buffed with 470 ilvl.

What would your rotation be for boss fights?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock

I don't know why people bother posting at all if they're not adding something constructive to the conversation.

If you must know, I thought I had it set to this character for posting; it seems to have been incorrect.

He's kinda right. You can't ignore gears/gems/reforge. You can't be constructive if you know nothing about the poster.

Now here's for you:
1. Aim 4717 haste before reforging into mastery
2. Do you play with your trinkets enough? That means refreshing when they are up.
3. Make sure you don't use haunt whenever you can but when it's the best which means while you have at least 9 seconds left on ALL your dots and that these are buffed by some int proc usualy provided by your trinkets.
4. For now you should go for Grimoire of Sacrifice.
5. 5 enchants missing and 1 empty socket really doesn't help.
6. You're not even hit capped. Unlike tons of people think, you MUST be hit capped when you're not enough skilled with your warlock (even when skilled I suggest getting hit capped). Simcraft is a bot that takes less than 0.1 seconds to realize he just missed a spell unlike you, a human. You losing a sh1tz load of DPS when not hit capped.
7. Maybe you should go for KJC instead of MF. You can only use Fel Flame on the move which is bad for affliction when you overwrite your buffed dots with unbuffed corr/UA by extending the time of those by 6 seconds.
8. Fel Flame shouldn't even be part of your rotation in case you're using it. I use like 0 to 2 per fight on my lock.
9. Pandemic is your friend when having INT procs.
10. Your ilevel might be too low to go for pure Mastery Gem and your trinkets must provide more INT to make mastery look even better. Affliction is all about managing your INT procs and sending haunt when you feal you are at your strongest state.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
03/02/2013 01:47 PMPosted by Itarilde

I was. I was telling to post on your alt so that people could look over your armory.

03/02/2013 01:47 PMPosted by Itarilde

I've been around a long time. There's a lot of people that post on alts because they don't want people to know who they are. You ask them to post on their main, and they say they prefer not to. As if they aren't anonymous enough on the internet. But whatever.

You shouldn't be running MF over KJC. KJC is just too good. If you were using it for something specific then ignore this, but simply speccing into KJC, and not even binding the on use aspect is almost always the best talent to take for raiding.

Sacrifice is better than Sup as well for most fights. Scaling issues and such. When 5.2 drops (Most likely that's this Tuesday) Sup will go farther than Sac until T15 geared. Sac scales. Sup doesn't. So it's one of those talent tiers. The only fights I've ran sup for so far is Wind Lord (I throw him on boss, and then do a ton of dot/SoC spamming), and WoE in which I just throw him on one of the emperor dudes, and then proceed to dot anything that even twitches. Basically if you can't MG spam most of the time then sup will be better than sac.

Look into replacing your gloves asap. I'm sure you know that. Wasted itemization is wasted. You're also missing several enchants, and a gem. Most notably windsong. It all adds up.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to download Affdots if you don't have it, and learn to use it effectively. Affliction is a snapshot DPS spec. If you don't learn to watch your procs, and such you will end up doing meh DPS. Once you learn to utilize, and track those buffs alongside Affdots your DPS will skyrocket.

Finally, I would say once you start to knock on the 480 ilevel's door to start looking at the 4717 corruption breakpoint.

Otherwise, as I said, Affliction is all about utilizing your buffs, and refreshing DoTs when needed. The other part is maximizing soul shard usage.

03/02/2013 03:24 PMPosted by Itarilde
What would your rotation be for boss fights?

Well, now we know you don't have Affdots. I don't mean that rudely, but even though every spec isn't supposed to have a set rotation Affliction is an exception even to that. It's all about maximizing your DoTs.

Your opening should be CoE > DS (Use your trinket here too since you have one)> SB:SS > Haunt > MG spam. All your procs (weapon, trinkets, whatever) should proc fairly quickly since it's the beginning of the fight and the ICD is off CD. You can reapply your DoTs either manually or through another SS:SB combination based on your soul shards. Then it's a bit more haunt MG spamming until you end up reapplying weak DoTs and you can start pooling shards for the next time you can throw up haunt and spam MG. When you hit execute phase you just replace MG with drain soul. You will swim in shards at that point so you can be pretty liberal with haunt and SS:SBs

The thing people need to understand about Affliction is it's not about 100% Haunt uptime. It's about maximizing that haunt uptime with strong DoTs, and pure MG spamming during that haunt uptime.

03/02/2013 03:32 PMPosted by Hankuley
6. You're not even hit capped. Unlike tons of people think, you MUST be hit capped when you're not enough skilled with your warlock (even when skilled I suggest getting hit capped). Simcraft is a bot that takes less than 0.1 seconds to realize he just missed a spell unlike you, a human. You losing a sh1tz load of DPS when not hit capped.

I agree that being hit capped helps the less skilled our, but being around 14%+ or so hit cap is just fine if you can play the spec adequately. I have not been hit capped yet, and I rarely see misses. It's just not a requirement for T14. In T15 gear, and stat inflation there will be no reason to not be hit capped, but I really dislike people stating you should be hit capped with affliction.

Unlike other specs Affliction has no CDs on their abilities, or no procs to work off of (such as hot streak for mages, or MC for Demo). So missing with an ability (haunt being the exception here) means another GCD of casting it, and that's it. Whereas Destruction losing a Chaos bolt is monstrous. Elemental losing Lava Burst is bad. Classes wasting their procs (Not sure if pyroblast still works the same as it did for them in Cata, but this would be a good example) is painful. Affliction doesn't suffer from this. It's very easy to recover from a missed spell.

At the OPs ilevel I would aim for 14% hit and no more. It's plenty enough to learn how to play affliction and s/he would rarely have to react to missed DoTs/Haunts. The DPS net gain of playing with fire on that 1% RNG chance is better than wasting another 340 stats to remove it. Especially when the OP should be working on that 4717 breakpoint and needs ever stat s/he can get.
Edited by Varlth on 3/2/2013 3:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Rotation for Boss fights:

Keep up DoTs. SB:SS during execute phase and to apply to fresh targets, manual cast otherwise.
Channel MG >25%
Channel Drain Soul <25%
Haunt when you are most powerful. Try and keep yourself at around 2-3 shards when not using CDs/Pots, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Thank-you all. ^_^
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
SoC for large groups is fine. Make sure you pair it with soul burn and curse of elements to get elements up on every target and SB:SoC to spread corruption. The Aff AoE rotation is pretty boring honestly. On large groups you'll have a lot of shards rolling in from nightfall procs, so feel free to spread more dots around with SB:SS.

Anyway: Get Kil'Jaedan's Cunning. Being able to perform your full rotation on the move is invaluable. You're definitely losing on damage if you're using felflame to refresh dots while moving.

Glyph of soul shards is mandatory and GoSac is better most of the time, but both of those are kind of going away in 5.2 so I don't know if you switched out in preparation but that won't be an issue for you soon anyway.

If you're planning to raid, you should probably get hit capped. Having to watch for misses is an extra strain on your attention and not something you want to be doing before you're comfortable with the rotation.

If you don't have affdots, get it. A lot of the afflic rotation is making the most of buffs you get mid fight to make your dots stronger, and affdots will tell you whether you're going to be replacing your dot with a stronger one or a weaker one before you cast.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Rotation for Boss fights:

Keep up DoTs. SB:SS during execute phase and to apply to fresh targets, manual cast otherwise.
Channel MG >25%
Channel Drain Soul <25%
Haunt when you are most powerful. Try and keep yourself at around 2-3 shards when not using CDs/Pots, etc.

It's 20% now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]