Fire pvp in 5.1

90 Undead Warlock
Love my Fire Mage to death. Was my main in all of cataclysm even though it really wasnt viable without an Affliction Lock. Fire seem's to finaly have some viability on its own for Mist of Pandaria, not in an overpowered way either. Then i read patch note's like Pyroblast being nerfed 10% for pve reason's (good change by buffing critical mass back and nerfing damage but please not Pyroblast!!!) and Incanter's Ward being dispellable. Now our burst is going to be able to be stopped by offensive dispel's in 2 way's and defensive once by deep freeze. Any silence, cc or defensive during our deep. Atm if you cant kill something in your deep freeze your most likely gong to lose. Our damage outside of our deep freeze combo is horrible. With these upcoming change's i feel that its going to be impossible to kill any enemy who know's what they are doing.
Ponder this thought sorry for the life story and have a good 1! ^^
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Do you mean in 5.2? for the changes and what not that is...

I dunno, I think their argument to the 'nerf' in pyroblast is because with the change in scorch they 'might' think more fire mages will pick PoM up so the loss in damage will be regained through another instant pyro cast. I'm just giving one of many posibilities that they may be thinking for on why they'd do this for ANY other reason than just in pve situations.

What concerns me more is how impossible it is to kill a competant healer (the one exception being a priest and maybe monk). The amount of dispells being tossed out these days it's hard to set up a 'perfect' burn phase in pvp, on targets. Toss in the instant heal capabilities of pallys, and damage reduction spells of druids... ugh! A fire mage needs to rely on a 1.5min CD to do the amount of damage needed to really kill a healer in full pvp gear. Now if we don't time this just right or something goes wrong with a certain dispel then we really only have 2 chances every time they have their 'oh sheeit' spell on CD. A frost mage has many more chances to redo their burn setup.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Fire will be strong again. Not quite at frost's level but still very effective when played correctly.

Though fire definitely does NOT need alter time to kill a healer. Deep and cs is more than enough, alter time is just overkill at the moment.

EDIT: Next season just opens up PoM to fire, though it will be situational. The damage is fine and with a stream of pyro crits, you can kill someone outside of deep.

It's still just very RNG.
Edited by Tainaqt on 3/4/2013 1:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
1.5 was not in reference to Alter Time. it was in reference to combustion, which is most certainly needed against most full resil healers. Or at least from where I'm standing, I suppose the damage mitigation at the moment on ptr may not be up to par yet with all the fire mages stacking pvp power and all that.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
See the thing everyone seems to forget about fire mages using pom is that without it being proc'd by the usual ways and being the actual buff it is doing 25 or 50% less damage (I forget the number but it is one of the two). So it really isn't all that helpful and won't hit as hard. Check your heating up or pyroblast proc sometime it also increases its damage done by either 25 or 50%.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
I'd almost rather be running while charging fireballs/polymorphs/RoF than have a PoM Pyro that isn't going to give me the nice (or was) bonus to the instant pyro.. I'd assume a pom pyro is going to do almost identical dmg to a hard cast fireball
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
03/05/2013 09:08 AMPosted by Helìx
I'd almost rather be running while charging fireballs/polymorphs/RoF than have a PoM Pyro that isn't going to give me the nice (or was) bonus to the instant pyro.. I'd assume a pom pyro is going to do almost identical dmg to a hard cast fireball

Just about, which is what I was getting at, however what it would do is also put up the pyroblast dot which might make up for something if it crits... maybe?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
I agree, at the moment in pvp our damage is so easily countered that anyone who knows mages will just dispel spam when you start going for the kill. Blizzard needs to make pyro hit harder in pvp or buff fireball scorch and hell maybe make combustion damage worth something again in pvp. Right now combustion is just used to stun, reset cd on FB and get heating up in a deep freeze and it hits for 30k IF THAT and the DoT hits for jack.

They need to revamp fire mages and take a look back into Cata or Wotlk days.
Reply Quote
I agree, at the moment in pvp our damage is so easily countered that anyone who knows mages will just dispel spam when you start going for the kill. Blizzard needs to make pyro hit harder in pvp or buff fireball scorch and hell maybe make combustion damage worth something again in pvp. Right now combustion is just used to stun, reset cd on FB and get heating up in a deep freeze and it hits for 30k IF THAT and the DoT hits for jack.

They need to revamp fire mages and take a look back into Cata or Wotlk days.

^QFT

I've been saying for a while... the whole pve vs pvp nerfs/buffs business would be solved if they sat for a couple of days and scripted the spells to have higher/lower dmg depending if it's a NPC of a PC... But apparently that's too much of a hassle.

And with inferno blast not spreading living bomb anymore... R.I.P. Fire mages.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]