Why didn't the Draenei stop using magic?

90 Blood Elf Priest
One thing I don't understand about the Draenei..

The legion was drawn to them, from what I've read, because they lived in a magical, utopian-like society, and they were skilled in magic and used it in abundance.

Weren't the legion drawn to the night elves for (roughly) the same reason? Although the Draenei experienced an invasion on a much larger scale (Sargeras wanted THEM for his lieutenants, while azeroth was just another world to destroy, IIRC) the elves denounced the use of magic, as it is what caused all of the problems in the first place.

The lore seems to show that use of the arcane is corrupting, and unnecessary, and leads to bad things, in general. Yet the Draenei, arguably depicted as the most "good" race, kind of ignore this fact and don't seem to take responsibility for their heavy use of the arcane.

Are the Draenei addicted to the arcane? For a race that is so "attuned" with magic, shouldn't that be the case?

Are the Draenei succeptable to corruption through the arcane?
Edited by Alegos on 3/5/2013 9:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
42 Human Hunter
The Draenei haven't stopped using magic for the same reason that Orcs still tolerate Warlocks, Night Elves allowed the Highborne back into their fold, and why Human begun to fully make use of Warlocks. It's still an effective weapon and you need all the firepower you can get against the Legion.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/05/2013 09:34 AMPosted by Hammerlóck
The Draenei haven't stopped using magic for the same reason that Orcs still tolerate Warlocks, Night Elves allowed the Highborne back into their fold, and why Human begun to fully make use of Warlocks. It's still an effective weapon and you need all the firepower you can get against the Legion.

I don't think that's the same. Warlocks, and highborne, are tolerated. The draenei mages are not just tolerated or accepted, they are the main powerholders of the race after priests and paladins.
Reply Quote
The thing is, the Draenei are the refugees of the people of Argus who were not swayed by Sargeras or the thought of limitless power.

They know their boundaries, they know their past, and now they're only goal is to defeat the ones who betrayed their people and bring an end to something that has troubled them for over 25,000 years.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Arcane power is needed to fight the Legion. It's somewhat silly to forbid arcane magic and use just holy when the enemy is using arcane, fel and a multitude of other powers against you. Arcane magic as practiced by the Draenei wasn't corrupting. It doesn't make sense to discard it.

I wish Blizzard played up the Draeneis use and skill in the arcane. They had a civilization and were so skilled in the use of the arcane he did want them as his lieutenants after all. It's not like the eredar that became the draenei forgot how to use magic.
Reply Quote
42 Human Hunter
03/05/2013 09:40 AMPosted by Alegos

I don't think that's the same. Warlocks, and highborne, are tolerated. The draenei mages are not just tolerated or accepted, they are the main powerholders of the race after priests and paladins.

They were an Arcane based society first. Masters of this art may not have been able to make the jump from magic user to light user like others were. Still they had no reason to stop using the Arcane. Kil'jadeen was actively hunting them so he would've still tracked and found them. Why should they be shunned? They followed Velen like the others did and are in just as much danger.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Draenei didn't have the same experience with the arcane that night elves did.

Are the Draenei addicted to the arcane? For a race that is so "attuned" with magic, shouldn't that be the case?

There's no evidence of that. The only races we know that get corrupted are humans and elves.
Reply Quote
Draenei didn't have the same experience with the arcane that night elves did.

There's no evidence of that. The only races we know that get corrupted are humans and elves.

Serious question, what humans have been corrupted by arcane magic? I just can't think of any off the top of my head.
Edited by Cártian on 3/5/2013 11:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk

Serious question, what humans have been corrupted by arcane magic? I just can't think of any off the top of my head.

Kel'thuzad. But I'm not sure if he was corrupted by magic first or the Legion.
Edited by Lena on 3/5/2013 11:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior

Neither, really. He just wanted to study a form of magic that was forbidden.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk

Neither, really. He just wanted to study a form of magic that was forbidden.

Maybe it's just those damn dirty elves that have issues with arcane.
Edited by Lena on 3/5/2013 11:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Monk
The Night Elves did more than just send signals out to the Legion. They made a giant doorway and invited them on in to "remake" the world.

The Draenei were tricked. By the time they left Argus, probably only a handful of them were arcane users. And they weren't so primitive as to conclude that magic is, therefore, evil.

...Unlike the Night Elves, who were essentially a primitive people that were shaped by alien energies that made them grow far faster as a civilizatoin than they should have.
Edited by Draelk on 3/5/2013 11:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
The draenei have mages?, Because never use them.
(the Draenei never do anything in fact).

Oh wait a sec, the draenei are the nurses of the alliance xD
Edited by Thogramir on 3/5/2013 11:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Monk
I'd rather be someone who cares for the well being of others than a useless alcoholic with poor hygiene.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
03/05/2013 11:52 AMPosted by Thogramir
draenei are the nurses

Draenei... as nurses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6-UftBHk9A
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The Night Elves did more than just send signals out to the Legion. They made a giant doorway and invited them on in to "remake" the world.

The Draenei were tricked. By the time they left Argus, probably only a handful of them were arcane users. And they weren't so primitive as to conclude that magic is, therefore, evil.

...Unlike the Night Elves, who were essentially a primitive people that were shaped by alien energies that made them grow far faster as a civilizatoin than they should have.

That makes a lot of sense.
Reply Quote
86 Human Priest
I disagree that lore has shown arcane magic to be overall harmful. I perceive it more as simply something the legion is very attracted to, but not as something that is bad in and of itself. It's certainly a real pain that demons love arcane magic, but it seems the demons are bad, not the arcane arts. Sort of like how in some neighborhoods, leaving pumpkins out on Halloween night may attract naughty teenagers to showing up and smashing them, but the pumpkins are not bad.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Having the best nurses in the game isn't a bad thing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Arcane itself isn't harmful. Magic must be controlled, or it will control you. It's a simple yet potent force. The Eredar of Argus were using arcane when the elves were still loa-worshiping tusked hunch-backs. They had control over it, weren't corrupted by it, and their society was pretty great.

This "perfection" and their abilities to utilize magic to its fullest potential is what attracted Sargeras himself to them. Looking at history, the Draenei are simply *the* premiere caster race. They're the masters of magic in all it's forms.

Why would the draenei disapprove of arcane? That's what their entire race was based upon. The arcane wasn't was did them in, it was the legion. Their power as casters simply attracted the Legion.

In my opinion the reason the elves shunned magic is because they were in a very arrogant place before the Legion showed up. They basically owned the world. Then !@#$ hits the fan and suddenly they're terrified for the first time in basically their entire history (and fear breeds ignorance). They just assumed it would be safer to stop practicing arcane magic altogether than risk getting nearly exterminated again. The elves are too good to be exterminated.

The Draenei handled things much more rationally and noble, probably because they had Velen and the Naaru to lead them. Most became priests and paladins out of their admiration of the light, they simply thought that the light was better than their old arcane ways; with the Light they could do so much more.

Plus with how many times the Draenei have nearly been wiped out I think it's safe to assume that most Draenei are pretty young. They were born into the current light-worshiping society, not the original Argus-arcane one.

The way I see it current Draenei mages would be skilled masters of the "old ways" similar to worgen druids before their encounter with the night elves. The other type of Draenei mage would be the new student who has taken up study of the arcane out of curiosity or by finding out about his/her race's history. The latter probably being more common.

The Draenei could easily have the most powerful mages in not only the Alliance, but all of Azeroth. They've got the history, the genetic advantage, and the knowledge. They make elven mages look like bratty crack-head children. Only the weak let magic control them, and the elves have.

I'll be waiting for Draenei Warlocks ;)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk

Plus with how many times the Draenei have nearly been wiped out I think it's safe to assume that most Draenei are pretty young. They were born into the current light-worshiping society, not the original Argus-arcane one.

They were only nearly wiped out once.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]