Character Migration:Send Ysera Reinforcements

90 Dwarf Hunter
This is my plea to the developers and/or the GM's I am told who actively monitor realm forums in search of these threads.

Ysera has been a dying server since WOTLK. So many have come and gone in only a short few years but I believe Ysera has now reached it's newest low. Ysera has seen all the population statistics. We have logged in and saw "High" population. We have logged in and seen"Low" population and we have seen "New Players" population.

We have gone from having a US 10th ranked guild and a booming economy with multiple weekly Pug raid clears, to having a top US 3006th guild with no 25 mans in sight and the slight chance of 1-2 weekly 10 man pugs that are minimal in their success.

Take a look at the following Link:

http://www.wowprogress.com/pve/us/ysera

1. Summit - Transferred off.
2. Illuminated - Transferred off.
3. Ward - Were known as Unleashed on alliance side. Had to faction change just to find raiders. Guild looks pretty inactive.
4. Late night pain train - Gone
5. Vex - Gone

This does not include recent guilds that do not show on wowprogress as either falling apart and transferring or just flat out leaving.

1. Midwinter
2. Natural Order
3. Continuum
4. Absolute

Might I add these 4 above are the last known 25 man guilds on the server.... Late night pain train as well, but they are mentioned above.

Look at the following link:

http://www.wowprogress.com/realms/rank/us

Ysera has gone from a => 25 Realm to ranking 96th. We are almost out of the top 100.

There is the evidence, here is my question.

What does it take for our realm to become a Free Transfer realm. I am not asking for you to give us all free transfers to a different realm. I am asking for our realm to be opened as a Free Character Migration realm, from high populated servers, to relocate players to Ysera.

What I ask from Yserans

Show your support. This is the first step to take to getting a Free Character Migration in process. If you support this idea, show your support below by commenting... But don't stop there. There are several things you can do to assist in getting this moved along to the proper people and they only take a few seconds of time.

Request for Sticky

At the top right of this post there is a Request for Sticky button. Click it. It only takes a second. You can only request for sticky one time per account. But if enough people request for sticky, this will be bumped to the top of the page and will stay there for the right people to see it.

Upvote.

You can upvote this post on the right side of it. Click the thumbs up button.

Spread the word

Mention to your guildies and your friends. Put this in your guild note, or guild information. Take 15 seconds to mention this in your next raid or pug. Say something over mumble/ts/vent etc... Whatever you use on a daily basis. Make sure people know about this thread and make sure they have shown their support. A Free Character Migration to Ysera can [B]ONLY[/B] help. This is a Ysera specific topic, but support can be shown from everyone from any realm. Anyone who has left Ysera who was once part of this servers family can help us by supporting this topic.

Thanks!

TL;DR: Make Ysera a Free Character Migration server from High Pop realms. Show your support, request for sticky, spread the word.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Having been given the resposability for recruiting members to absolute, I have seen this firsthand and concurr that this would be helpful.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Upvoted!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
I sympathize with the message, but I sincerely doubt Blizzard would take such steps. If Ysera is indeed still #96, it's still a far way down to #246 - i.e. other realms are far more likely to get flagged in any Free Chara Transfer scenario.

The only thing Blizzard can do to guarantee higher player density is to start shutting down realms, and they clearly won't do this. Instead, they attempt to solve the issues via CRZ (to populate zones) and LFD/LFR (to give individuals a quick/easy way into dungeons/raiding). I suspect RealID for cross-realm current-tier normal/heroic raiding is next on the list, and perhaps 'virtual guilds' (cross-realm guild entities) after that.

With this in mind, the old guild model is dying. Players no longer have to be in a large guild to experience dungeon/raid content. Friendships and sentimentality tied to a guild tag matters more.

The end result of that is that the only way to boost up the 'guild progression' system of old, is to convince players that there is honor and glory in sharing an arbitrary guild tag and raiding as a tight-knit group. This appeals to some players, but not all. To the players this really matters to, transfers to greener pastures is usually the first step, rather than to stay and fix the issue locally.

The 'solution' is in the hands of the players, not Blizzard. The answer isn't more random drop-ins, it's keeping those players we have, and convincing them that guild consolidation is in their best interest. That means guilds will have to die, and nobody wants theirs to be it.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
This is a good idea or server merges.

Cross Realm Zones is a great idea until you can't have people in the same guild or raid. It only brings the annoyances of larger servers none of the pluses.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Shrine seems so empty. Ysera could use more folks. Good post
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Thanks guys, Don't forget to request sticky and upvote.

I will be taking this to the game mentioning this post in trade every once in a while. Hopefully get more people here to support this.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/05/2013 07:54 AMPosted by Keb
I sympathize with the message, but I sincerely doubt Blizzard would take such steps. If Ysera is indeed still #96, it's still a far way down to #246 - i.e. other realms are far more likely to get flagged in any Free Chara Transfer scenario.

This is maybe the thing I point out to friends the most often.

Ysera as of today is perfectly average is terms of realms. Horde to Alliance ratio is mostly even. Our server pop is about average (~96 out of 246 as of recent datafarms). Until recently raid progress was perfectly even, until a few big groups packed up their bags and moved to places where recruitment may be easier.

While I understand that Ysera feels very different than expansion X, it's not that Realm attendance is significantly different. It's what the players are doing in game with their time.

With this in mind, the old guild model is dying. Players no longer have to be in a large guild to experience dungeon/raid content. Friendships and sentimentality tied to a guild tag matters more.

^this

It's not that there are SO many fewer players. It's what active players choose to do in game. You don't need to be in a guild to raid or do a 5-man anymore that can finish the zone ... you can use Blizzard's tools to que for that content.

World of Warcraft is moving toward the single player experience. I can que alone for 5-mans, and get put in a run where I don't need to talk to the members of my team. I can que alone for raids, and I don't have to roll anyone for gear - I get my own loot bag. I can do dailies alone, experience the story, and get gear rewards in line with what traditional raiders would get dedicating themselves to playing on a schedule some number of days in a week with 10-25 other players.

If players want to do "non-progression" content, players can use RealID and cross realm services like OpenRaid and Battlemasters to find players to do the content with. From what I can tell, it's not an issue with the game dying. It's just moved in another direction away from the traditional guild/team model.

---

IMO, the thing that kept players engaged in World of Warcraft in the past was the social dynamic. Guilds and other members of the realm community interacted with each other to accomplish things in game. When forming 5-mans, players went to general/trade chats and recruited players. Players met other members of their realm through these interactions and built friendships. If a player was a pain, he didn't get invites and it's possible that he/she would work to reform their behavior (or at least pay to get a name change ^_^).

Players had to treat others with respect if they wanted to accomplish anything in game. Since you couldn't just 'que' for a 5-man, and log randomly without a word when you tired of it, you HAD to build relationships with a guild, or other members of the realm population.

---

Sorry if I've crit everyone with a wall of text.

TLDR: Server merges, transfers, etc won't change the changing climate of World of Warcraft. Players need reasons to engage with other players to build relationships with guildees and other players from their realm.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I agree completely. Up voted!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Personally, I really enjoy the less-than-crowded ambience Ysera has these days. I have played on Ysera during it's High Population Heyday, as well as other even more heavily populated servers from time to time; and while things were cheaper on AH (your mileage may very) and there was a larger pool of players available for guild/raid/PvP recruitment, that doesn't necessarily equate to quality playtime in my opinion.

I think another dynamic which contributes to Ysera feeling small/dead/dying for some people is that, on top of a lower population (historically speaking), there are a TON of really small guilds. The guild system has incentivized the creation and maintenance of guilds. While it makes recruitment more difficult in some cases, it seems like a lot of people are really enjoying being in smaller guilds with their friends and seeing the guild itself progress with their efforts. It's like XP bar #3 (after Experience and Reputation). After all, bars of all kinds are a game mechanic that it's kept all of us coming back year after year. XD

It feels like it's nostalgia more than anything. I think that we all have an idea of 'the good old days'. But it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that things need to be the way they used to be again to have fun. There's a lot about the BC days that I miss, for instance (HA!), but you can't go back -- we've all changed and so has WoW.

That said, if playing on a heavily populated server is a top priority for you, there are plenty out there. But I feel like an influx of population via free server transfers would be solving a problem that is mainly perceptual and subjective. There are a lot of people here still having fun; they're just spread across countless tiny guilds that you may have never heard of.

Personally, I don't miss the login queues. ;)
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
Prime has been here for almost 7 years. We've seen guilds come and go, start up and then fall apart. Really comes down to having good goals and sticking to it. Eye on the long term rather than short term gain.

Best advice is not worry about what other guilds are doing and keep pushing for whatever you set your goals to be. People will come and go. Set realistic goals with your situation at hand. For example, we had a ton of hiccups that began a year ago and followed us into the first half of this tier. Much could not be avoided, like unexpected absences, bad comp issues, random disconnects and lag. As a result we were very much inefficient this tier.

However, we knew our issues and owned them. So we set goals for this tier and achieved them. We would of loved to had time to get more stuff down while it was current. But it is what is. You move on and do better next time. There is some disappointment in that aspect. However, we feel good as a team that we made the most of quite a few bad situations this tier to achieve a realistic goal (Complete Mogushan Vaults heroic) based on our circumstances.

Anyway, there is plenty of people on this server and in guilds that are raiding. The problem is most seem to be struggling to even clear normal. Or they only raid a couple days a week, but lack efficiency and organization to get a reasonable amount of kills.

Raging Grace was a very efficient two days a week guild, but they unfortunately fell apart. Good players there. I know because they were all ex-Prime members from back when we were 25.

Anyway, if people are happy on this server in the guilds they are in, that is all that matters.

So if you mean Ysera needs more people for Heroic raiding. Well this server is not going to attract those people until a lot more guilds on this server start to get more progression kills. This includes Prime. So totally understand the issues with recruiting here. Though Prime seems to always find good people because we entice folks with our stability and longevity. A lot guilds out there, not just this server, don't have that.

One of things us at Prime has been thinking about is running folks through Tier 14 since there is a lot of guilds without at least 16/16 normal to help some of these guilds. The issue is finding a day really for us to lead that.

It's refreshing though that Prime is not alone in wanting to keep raiding on this server active.

I'm sure if we keep threads like this active we can figure something out.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

Anyway, if people are happy on this server in the guilds they are in, that is all that matters.

I totally just "Liked" a post by a Space Goat. Truly these are the End Times -- Bronze Dragonflight notwithstanding.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
edit
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I have to say, that this is the BEST idea I have seen on this forum yet! I mean I came in during Cata, and I heard so many stories about how Ysera has been on a downhill since LK, and now I really know what those people mean considering its now MoP and Horde side...this is what I hear 9 times out of 10.....*crickets*......I hear crickets on occasion when I am leveling my Draenai Shammy too....Sad server really due to population, I would really love to see the population increase! :D Again, greatest post yet!
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Blood Elf Paladin
They've had many chances to make the game more attractive to the current veterans and keep them playing, but they have chosen to cater to the less diehard fans.

This is the core of your argument that you probably want to look at critically. It isn't an issue of 'veterans' vs 'less diehard fans.' It's an issue of what changes Blizzard makes to their game that influences the greatest number of unique players in a positive way.

It's not that they specifically want to cater to the 'less diehard.' Their current goal is when they design content for players, to give players access to it. LFR is one way that they can ensure that all players that want to see the content have a clear way in how to access the content.

If you compare it to the raid philosophy they had during vanilla WoW, less than 1% of players saw all of the bosses in level 60 Naxxramas. While I understand that some players miss those days, I could argue that it's not a great use of their developers time to develop content that most players don't play in.

03/11/2013 09:15 AMPosted by Boshot
LFR is not raiding! It's a joke to give substandard gear to substandard raiders.

To address this concern, I want to ask you the question: Have you ever been in a raid that had "loot drama." For the sake of this conversation, since you chat about World of Warcraft Veterans, I'll say 'yes, you have.'

There is loot drama, because players want loot. There is some percent of the player base that is part of a raiding team that plays on a regular basis. Then there is a larger number of players that want epics from raiding, but can't or won't be part of a regular raiding team.

LFR gives players a way to earn epics without the commitment to a regular raiding team. Prior to LFR, if those players wanted to earn epics from raids, or even just see the fights, they would have to seek out a raiding team that was doing the content, or try to start their own.

---

The point of my post wasn't saying that these changes are good or bad. The point was that a lot of players can do these things outside of the traditional guild set up.

EDIT: I don't believe allowing server merges or transfers (which is the topic of this thread) will address what the OP (Original Poster) seeks to do, which is increase the number of PUGs or improve Realm Raiding Progress in general (not just specific to Ysera or any realm you want to talk about).
Edited by Roshen on 3/11/2013 2:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

I don't understand the logic behind saying that server merges won't increase realm raiding progress. Take a look at any Third-Party website that tracks realm rankings, and note the correlation between population and progress. Having more raiders to pick from will absolutely increase realm raiding progress. I'm not for or against server transfers, as I believe if a person wants an increased realm raiding progression, they can transfer on their own. I do, however, disagree with any notion that there is no correlation between population and progress.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/11/2013 01:52 PMPosted by Showers
I don't understand the logic behind saying that server merges won't increase realm raiding progress.

On a micro scale, sure. More players does everything you say; better chance to find quality players and thus better chance for raid success.

It doesn't change that there is a smaller PERCENTAGE of the player base engaged in raiding in the traditional guild model. Moving the player population around could be a bandaid fix for some of the things mentioned in this thread, but I don't feel it changes the climate of World of Warcraft in terms of Realm or guild communities.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
That's probably true. The dynamics of this game have changed dramatically. It's not necessarily good or bad, but definitely different. I would say that if a person really wants to get involved in more of a raiding atmosphere, the easiest/fastest solution would be to transfer to one of the dozen or so servers that are "high" population with a high raiding presence.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Whenever I switch out of Ysera to my other main server set, I've noticed that it's labeled 'High' more often now than it says 'Medium'. I don't think it's a population issue, I think the guys and gals here talking about players just playing differently are probably on the right track.

On Misha, I notice a definite drop in the number of items I find on the AH, etc. That is a Medium-Low pop server, not Ysera which is usually packed with stuff of all levels (keeping in mind that my Misha chars are Horde, and my Ysera chars are Alliance, which does affect that).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]