Spell Reflect vs. Deterrence question

I use warrior spell reflect and notice spells "en route" get reflected back. In other words, it seems as though I can reflect spells that have completed casting but damage has not reached the target.

On the other hand, using hunter Deterrence with glyph seems to have a different reaction. Spells that completed casting will always hit me even if the missile is in the air while I use Deterrence.

Are they supposed to reflect at different times or is this merely latency on my end?

Thanks!
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Much like Charge vs Disengage - The one that "works", is the one that you can't find in the hunter's spell book.

Supposedly, the answer is latency, but it does leave you wondering.
Reply Quote
I should also clarify that I'm sitting on 75 ms home and world at any given point so reaction speed may be a little off.

Unsure if someone could look into the spells and see if some part of the code makes the reflect spells react differently. I feel they should react the same and maybe they already do! Something tells me they don't. =(
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
They dont use the same mechanics.

Deterrence will only work against spells that have not been cast.

All other similar spells in the game will work on anything that hasnt actually landed on you yet. Things like iceblock, spell reflect, etc.

Hunters are just used to being forced to play with mechanics that are inferrior to the other classes. It's why we still have a 6 sec cast to rez our pet while all other pet classes get instant auto rez spells baseline.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
They dont use the same mechanics.

Deterrence will only work against spells that have not been cast.

All other similar spells in the game will work on anything that hasnt actually landed on you yet. Things like iceblock, spell reflect, etc.

Hunters are just used to being forced to play with mechanics that are inferrior to the other classes. It's why we still have a 6 sec cast to rez our pet while all other pet classes get instant auto rez spells baseline.

Frost and unholy both have to wait an obscenely long time iirc for their instant pet if it is on cd.

Affliction and destro have to give up a MAJOR resource which might as well be a full focus bar to get a free instant pet.

Demo's instant pet is about the only thing that is not getting the cost or the 1 use and no pet otherwise like frost/unholy since you can still hard summon.

Also with affliction's instant pet you get locked out of hard summon after using it for a short period as well.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
I use warrior spell reflect and notice spells "en route" get reflected back

Let me stop you right there. They do not. Spell reflect has to be up before the spells are launched.
Reply Quote
Let me stop you right there. They do not. Spell reflect has to be up before the spells are launched.

So when I fire CBs and see the spell reflect icon over a warrior and he reflects it back, that's actually just latency on my end?

If that's the case, then at least it's more predicting the cast rather than quickly reacting to it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
So when I fire CBs and see the spell reflect icon over a warrior and he reflects it back, that's actually just latency on my end?

Correct
Reply Quote
97 Dwarf Hunter
Latency

Butchering gameplay and what could have been exciting experiences since 2004.
Reply Quote
Chaos Bolt is one of the few spells where the warrior can wait until the last moment to reflect. If the combined latency of you and the warrior is greater than 250ms, the icon usually won't appear on your end until after the bolt is en route... But in actuality it was up before the cast finished.
Edited by Taunque on 3/8/2013 11:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I use warrior spell reflect and notice spells "en route" get reflected back. In other words, it seems as though I can reflect spells that have completed casting but damage has not reached the target.

On the other hand, using hunter Deterrence with glyph seems to have a different reaction. Spells that completed casting will always hit me even if the missile is in the air while I use Deterrence.

Are they supposed to reflect at different times or is this merely latency on my end?

all spell reflect mechanics work the same way. If you SR or Deterrance AFTER the ability leaves the caster's hands (its in the air flying towards you) its too late it will hit you.

If you SR or deterr before the ability is finished casting, you will reflect it.

where latency becomes an issue is if things like you get cycloned with SR up. On your end, you put SR up before the cyclone got off, but on his end he got the cyclone off before SR went up. And the game decides who was lagging.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]