Mage 5.2 PVE raiding survey

100 Blood Elf Mage
Part 1: Show me the numbers:
1) What is your current 5.2 specialization?
2) What type of content have you run in 5.2 (5-mans, solo, LFR, 10-normal, 25-normal, etc)?
3) Link(s) to 5.2 raid logs on your mage (even LFR logs are useful):
4) Did you change specializations for 5.2? If you changed specs for 5.2, what spec were you before?
5) Is your ilevel generally around the same range as your other raid members from the logs you posted? If not, are you over-geared or under-geared compared to the other members of your raid?

1) currently Frost spec.
2) heroic 5-mans, starting 10N
3) sorry, don't have logs. If possible, I will see what I can provide on this after next raid. If I'm good on my rotation in frost, I get about 42-47k dps at my iLvl in frost. Only about 35k with the new arcane. Horrible. I got around 48-50k in 5.1 arcane. It's not just about the dps, though.
4) was previously arcane in 5.1, really enjoyed it then.
5) currently 475, and I am under-geared compared to many other members of my raid group.

Part 2: How are you feeling about your mage?

6) What is your average ilevel?
7) What quality of life problems are you seeing with your current specialization?
8) If you changed specializations, why did you change?
9) Overall, how do you feel about your current spec's movement damage?
10) Overall, how do you feel about your current spec's stand-still damage?
11) Overall, how do you feel about your current spec's utility in raids?
12) If you could change one thing to improve your current spec, what would it be?

Since vanilla, I generally have preferred my mages to other classes (I also have an alliance 90 mage). Right now in 5.2, I feel bad about wanting to take a raid spot and yet being mediocre dps. Frost isn't a spec that I particularly like, but at least it has middle-of-the-pack dps compared to the new arcane. I wish Blizzard would stop completely redesigning our playstyle (rotation, builds, gems/enchants) from patch to patch. Changing it with a new expansion is expected, but 5.0 to 5.1 to 5.2 had major shifts each time.

6) 475 at the moment
7) I don't like frost's playstyle, and I don't want to play a pet class with a mostly useless pet.
8) I changed from arcane because my arcane dps was reduced by about 25-30 percent in 5.2.
9) frost has utterly mediocre dps for a pure dps class, and movement is impossible if you're using the rune.
10) mediocre dps, even if you don't use the "stand still" rune.
11) what utility? we get Int as a buff, that's pretty much it. I can bring potions or food for buffs, but that's not class-specific.
12) to improve frost, I'd like an option to be totally rid of the water elemental because it really is like a tethered albatross; at the very least, shrink the thing down because it's constantly in my way. But I'd really MUCH prefer a viable-dps arcane spec. I like fire spec even less than frost, so that's not an option for me.

Thank you for doing this survey.
Edited by Elenaril on 3/12/2013 2:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
1) What is your current 5.2 specialization? Frost
2) What type of content have you run in 5.2 (5-mans, solo, LFR, 10-normal, 25-normal, etc)? LFR
3) Link(s) to 5.2 raid logs on your mage (even LFR logs are useful): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/i3mbdozpgvnt2e4v/
4) Did you change specializations for 5.2? If you changed specs for 5.2, what spec were you before? Yes, Arcane
5) Is your ilevel generally around the same range as your other raid members from the logs you posted? If not, are you over-geared or under-geared compared to the other members of your raid? Not sure it is from LFR

6) What is your average ilevel? 485 equipped
7) What quality of life problems are you seeing with your current specialization? Miss the freeze mechanism in frost it was nice for some free FoFs
8) If you changed specializations, why did you change? Arcane is busted, RoP just can't keep up with your mana consumption, haven't tried the haste/invo build.
9) Overall, how do you feel about your current spec's movement damage? Ehh it is fine I guess, I try to save some insta's if I can, if not I blink to where I need to go.
10) Overall, how do you feel about your current spec's stand-still damage? I mean I did my highest dps yet in a fight as frost at 103k on council (Logs)
11) Overall, how do you feel about your current spec's utility in raids?I think the player makes the toon, honestly from what i have read there are very low numbers and very high numbers, and some people I think are better suited to playing other specs and classes. Just because I can multi dot like a beast on my Spriest doesn't mean i can play an afflock worth a !@#$.
12) If you could change one thing to improve your current spec, what would it be? I think frost is all around ok right now I dont have complaints. Arcane needs to get balanced more with its mana consumption or something. Have yet to play fire : (
Reply Quote
1) What is your current 5.2 specialization? ....Fire
2) What type of content have you run in 5.2 (5-mans, solo, LFR, 10-normal, 25-normal, etc)?...5-mans, solo, LFR.
3) Link(s) to 5.2 raid logs on your mage (even LFR logs are useful): ...none available atm
4) Did you change specializations for 5.2? If you changed specs for 5.2, what spec were you before?...Yes i changed for 5.2. I was Arcane and before that Fire because of the nerf to Fire during 5.1.
5) Is your ilevel generally around the same range as your other raid members from the logs you posted? If not, are you over-geared or under-geared compared to the other members of your raid? ....I tend to have the best ilvl available to me without normal. My ilvl is equal to or above most of the raid.

6) What is your average ilevel? 493/494
7) What quality of life problems are you seeing with your current specialization?...unreliable crits. they are haphazard. I can start pumping it out and then its like the power dies no matter what i do. So i can see 70k for a few seconds and then it dips to 30-40k where it remains and that is the problem right there. i am geared, gemmed, reforged, ench. all properly.
8) If you changed specializations, why did you change?... I changed from Arcane because of the nerfs at the beginning of 5.2
9) Overall, how do you feel about your current spec's movement damage? ...Movement damage is weak. I like to move a lot so the only thing missing is the power atm.
10) Overall, how do you feel about your current spec's stand-still damage?...like i said i can begin with overall 70k briefly for a few seconds and then it never comes back even with crits. It remains at betwen 30-40k thereby rendering me useless.
11) Overall, how do you feel about your current spec's utility in raids?...it is nonexistent
12) If you could change one thing to improve your current spec, what would it be?...give us back most of the crit power that was removed. I understand that Blizzard thinks it (crit) will come back with gear at around 520. Well dear Blizzard we have to be included in the raid team in order to do that don't you think. And we are not being included now. Sure i can wait and get gear with valor points and have some crafted HOWEVER by then (when i hit 520) i won't know the normal content and for that reason alone even with the dps i will continue to be excluded from raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I'll be personally keeping a close eye on how things develop.

Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
1) Frost
2) 25m Raiding
3) http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/31268/ (guild link, there are some 10m in there from our other raid teams)
4) No, staying frost.
5) We are all pretty even in ilvl

6) 513
7) Target switching hurts the most with the ramp up of Frost Bolt debuff
8) Have yet to change
9) I can't complain to much since most of our damage is from instants, but some form of change to Ice Flows while frost spec would be appreciated since two charges aren't always enough.
10) It is in a decent position, just the ramp up on Frost Bolt debuff hurts.
11) Poor. The raid utility we bring, Time Warp, can easily be replaced by a shaman or Beast Master hunter. I wish we could being one utility that is unique enough to not bench us, but not stack the class.
12) The ramp up on Frost Bolt debuff more then anything. The target switching issue comes into play quite often and it hurts over all damage and can encourage bad play.
Edited by Leviatron on 3/18/2013 8:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Get rid of the Water Elemental, and either DRASTICALLY raise the FoF proc rate OR add the freezing component back to the elemental to proc FoF, something has gotta give on that point, then frost is perfect.

Fire needs a flat passive crit buff, 5% perhaps, and it would be fine.

Arcane needs to be eliminated, it's pure garbage and has been nerfed into oblivion.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Get rid of the Water Elemental, and either DRASTICALLY raise the FoF proc rate OR add the freezing component back to the elemental to proc FoF, something has gotta give on that point, then frost is perfect.

Fire needs a flat passive crit buff, 5% perhaps, and it would be fine.

Arcane needs to be eliminated, it's pure garbage and has been nerfed into oblivion.

Thats what T15 4pc is for increasing FoF proc from Frostbolt. Then 5% crit for Pyro.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage

2) What type of content have you run in 5.2 (5-mans, solo, LFR, 10-normal, 25-normal, etc)?
4) Did you change specializations for 5.2? If you changed specs for 5.2, what spec were you before?
5) Is your ilevel generally around the same range as your other raid members from the logs you posted? If not, are you over-geared or under-geared compared to the other members of your raid?

7) What quality of life problems are you seeing with your current specialization?
12) If you could change one thing to improve your current spec, what would it be?

1. Fire
2. ToT normal with a few hard modes mixed in (Jin, Ji-kun, and Horridon)
3. I don't use logs, weird as it sounds, my dps is always very strong and I've never used it
4. I was arcane, switched to frost, and once I got enough gear I went fire.
5. n/a
6. 519
7. No real complaints about quality of life, if I was arcane I'd have a whole lot to say lol. Frost too, having to wait a minute for your real burst does get somewhat bland.
8. Fire simply does the best damage and it's a fun spec to play, movement heavy fights can be a pain with frost if your procs aren't lined up (or having to save those procs incase you do need to move)
9. Fire's movement is great, I couldn't imagine playing without it now that scorch weaving was taken out of the game.
10. Hard casting is fine too.
11. We don't really have any utility, unless nobody else in the group can bring lust or the crit buff, but we do good damage to make up for it.
12. 10% heal from evocate kinda stinks, and the glyph selection does seem somewhat dull.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
This is Necro from mid-March.
Reply Quote
-Frost
2) What type of content have you run in 5.2 (5-mans, solo, LFR, 10-normal, 25-normal, etc?
5 mans, solo, LFR
I stopped playing shortly after Cataclysm, and started again shortly before 5.2 came out. I was originally fire/arcane spec, but changed arcane to frost.
A little undergeared but not very far off.

Kind of boring (to me) as i've never been a fan of frost
Gear requirements for fire spec is insane, Arcane runs OOM too fast.
Could be worse i guess
Fine
Meh.
Nothing
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
This is Necro from mid-March.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]