MW as DPS

90 Blood Elf Monk
Posted by Zenfoo
I can't remember what lvl it is when fistweaving is supposed to start being major part of your healing

Level 10.

Thank you. It changed since I built mine.
Reply Quote
81 Pandaren Monk
This,
This was my original post. it was in no way trying to be rude,

does not match this,
Dude. You're lvl 40 something. Congratulations.

As for,
but was really wondering why anyone would want to stat it so differently.

The point is to emphasize DPS.

Right now people are claiming DPS of 50% to 75% of real DPS classes while healing and geared/specced as a healer.

How would that number change if they weren't healing and also geared/specced mainly as DPS?

Again, I'm aware that stacking Int/Crit over Haste is hardly ideal for a healing Mistweaver, but the question is not about healing.
Reply Quote
81 Pandaren Monk
By the way, I'm only really looking at dungeons/scenarios/LFR here.

I realize that a lot of those Mistwalkers that report high DPS numbers are comparing themselves to randoms that may not play as well as they do.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Right now people are claiming DPS of 50% to 75% of real DPS classes while healing and geared/specced as a healer.

How would that number change if they weren't healing and also geared/specced mainly as DPS?

Yeah I have out dps'ed a tank recently but to be honest so did everyone else in the party. Mistweaver isn't a dps spec, and even if gear/statted differently I don't honestly think it will ever compare to a true dps casting spec. Even if full heroic raid gear I seriously doubt it would even come close to the new OP Warlock, Hunter, or Arcane Mage.

I recently built a Retribution Pally. and I wish that my mistweaver had a stance or a casting spec to allow more dps while questing. without having to carry a second set of gear, nor have to deal with the cost that a second set of gear entails.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post. For that I apologize. But take it from someone that lvled from 10 to 90 in mistweaving spec. I wouldn't tamper with the way I have my toon set up now other that to get into better gear. It took way to much time and gold to get it this good, and it's no where near perfect, But I am very happy with it at this point. After I learned it's mechanics.

I also farm leather with this toon, and maybe it's just me, but I am fearless, and will take on 8 to 12 Moshu dinos at once for the leather, motes, and meats lol Or 10 to 20 turtles just north of Half Hill. or entire herd of lvl 90 goats west of Half Hill.

But lower dps seems to be the norm for any healing class/spec.But what I plan on doing with this toon is changing my skinning to either tailor or enchanting to get those profs specialties only useable by that prof. To increase my dps and healing even more.

But to answer your question. I guess we won't know until someone is curious enough to try it.
Edited by Zenfoo on 3/7/2013 10:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
81 Pandaren Monk
even if gear/statted differently I don't honestly think it will ever compare to a true dps casting spec. Even if full heroic raid gear I seriously doubt it would even come close to the new OP Warlock, Hunter, or Arcane Mage.

Trying to equal or beat a true DPS class is not the point of this thread.

It is simply trying to find out the upper limits of MW DPS and how to spec for it.

I'm not trying to add or change the class or how other people play their mistweavers.

But in a few other threads (those complaining about changes in 5.2), I've noticed that fistweavers who are adapting to the changes of 5.2 well are those that are stacking crit/int rather than haste and are reporting higher DPS numbers. Those that prefer to stand back and do little melee tend to do better with the traditional haste itemization. This is all anecdotal evidence of course.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
If you're looking for a number, it's kinda hard to give you one, but I'd guesstimate that you could squeeze out an extra 5-10% damage by speccing and gearing for just damage. The stats that make us good healers also buff our DPS, so I don't think the gap is as wide as you might think it is.

Not sure how I'd even gear differently...most mistweavers already don't like mastery much. Maybe use Relic of Yu'lon instead of Relic of Chi'ji or something?
Reply Quote
You'd need enough spirit and crit to make sure you mana tea stacks and regen kept you as close to mana positive as possible. In my experience, that's around the 8k margin as long as you have more than 18% spell crit. I'm in PvP gear atm, but I'll log back in to log out in my PvE stuff so you can see. I am forged for the 1st haste break point, and choose to stay there just because haste is your rppm friend.

As far as 1h vs 2h, the 2h will give you higher numbers since the largest portion of our dps comes from specials now. However the highest ilvl weapon you can get is the route to go, just like dps specs.

Since 5.2 went live, I've only done LFR's since my raid team only raids on Saturdays, but I've been in the top 10 in damage done on every fight, including sha and galleon. The healing has either been top, or top 2.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
"Trolling" Windwalker is the dps spec.

I resemble that remark.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Without any cds we can do 50k dps and with cds we can do about 60-80k dps single target. It depends on gear and which talents you pick. This testing was done with pvp gear btw.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Just got done testing MW on a raiders training dummy.
It took me 10minutes before i ran out of mana.
Pulled 50k dps and 30mill damage done. I'm only ilvl 488 in my pve gear.
I'm already liking these new MW changes.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
But in a few other threads (those complaining about changes in 5.2), I've noticed that fistweavers who are adapting to the changes of 5.2 well are those that are stacking crit/int rather than haste and are reporting higher DPS numbers. Those that prefer to stand back and do little melee tend to do better with the traditional haste itemization. This is all anecdotal evidence of course.

I may be wrong but I think if wanting to squeeze more dps out of this spec,mastery would be stacked in the place of haste.

There has been two sim tests, 1 stacking haste and the other stacking mastery. It didn't do negatively either way with healing, but they never did say exactly what it did for this spec dps wise. I saw the posts about it on iceyveins. But I was more concerned about increasing my healing at that point and sort of skimmed over it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Just got done testing MW on a raiders training dummy.
It took me 10minutes before i ran out of mana.
Pulled 50k dps and 30mill damage done. I'm only ilvl 488 in my pve gear.
I'm already liking these new MW changes.

Exactly, Since 5.2's release. I to have noticed a much better rate of dps while doing dailies.
Reply Quote
81 Pandaren Monk

I may be wrong but I think if wanting to squeeze more dps out of this spec,mastery would be stacked in the place of haste.

There has been two sim tests, 1 stacking haste and the other stacking mastery. It didn't do negatively either way with healing, but they never did say exactly what it did for this spec dps wise. I saw the posts about it on iceyveins. But I was more concerned about increasing my healing at that point and sort of skimmed over it.

MW mastery (Gift of the Serpent) increases the chance to drop healing spheres when we use abilities.

Unless there was an undocumented change in 5.2, I don't think that's going to affect MW DPS.
Reply Quote
The only things that really have an effect of MW dps is crit and int. Currently crit makes the biggest difference.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
I regularly top the DPS in 5 man dungeons, by a fair margin. Eminence healing from my DPS regularly keeps my group at full health. Average around 60-65k DPS.

But then again, it's 5 mans...in real raids i'm still in the bottom 30% of dps. I can generally pull 30-40k DPS, but at the same time...my job is to heal, not to DPS. So in non-dungeon scenarios DPS is always going to take a hit.

One situation I can think that it might be decent to have a purely eminence healing monk is as an extra healer, on heavy damage fights. Not a primary healer..just supplementary. Your DPS might be lower than DPS classes, but still adequate, plus it'll take some serious strain off of the other healers.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I might try to go kritz-krazy, just to see how much it changes my DPS...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I tested this by forging everything into crit and the difference was negligible from all haste on a target dummy.
Reply Quote
54 Orc Hunter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dSDYlC-B4U watch this video and watch the dps chart....the monk on there is mistweaver.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]