A Return to World of Warcraft: Player Guide

(Sticky)

Community Manager
So you’ve decided to return to World of Warcraft. Welcome back! There’s just one thing you’ll need before jumping back into the fray—knowledge. To aid you in making your glorious comeback, we’ve compiled some handy information every returning hero should know. Once armed with knowledge, nothing (and no one) will stand in your way.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8876440/
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
And there go half the threads in this forum. Now we'll be even lower traffic! ;P

Nice guide. The header for "Battle.net Account Mounts, Pets, & Achievements" is slightly unreadable because of the background chosen, but that's a nitpick.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
And there go half the threads in this forum. Now we'll be even lower traffic! ;P

Nice guide. The header for "Battle.net Account Mounts, Pets, & Achievements" is slightly unreadable because of the background chosen, but that's a nitpick.

We just updated it so hopefully it's a bit better. Just think of the guide as a primer. The gnitty gritty still needs to come from you all. ;)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest

We just updated it so hopefully it's a bit better. Just think of the guide as a primer. The gnitty gritty still needs to come from you all. ;)

I think it's great. In the past year or so we've seen so many players posting here as they come back to the game. From vanilla to BC players, wrath and ones that quit in cata.

While we do our best to give them some advice it's very difficult to explain whats most important as they try to get back into a game that's changed so much.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Success! Perfectly readable now.
Reply Quote
Community Manager

I think it's great. In the past year or so we've seen so many players posting here as they come back to the game. From vanilla to BC players, wrath and ones that quit in cata.

While we do our best to give them some advice it's very difficult to explain whats most important as they try to get back into a game that's changed so much.

We really wanted to find a way to get the word out in as clear and concise way as we could. We also truly appreciate all the rest of the community for helping others and sharing your knowledge with others. Every little bit helps to get others in/back and enjoying the game.

Success! Perfectly readable now.

*thumbs up* Thanks!
Reply Quote
Very nice guide, Neth.

I do take Candle.
Reply Quote
92 Night Elf Druid
Glad to see this guide. I was kinda hesitant to come back because so much has changed.
Reply Quote
98 Tauren Druid
Wish I had seen this sooner.

I'm BACK BABY!

Did clear up a few things though. I was like "oh! So THAT's what the glowy purple warlock club is about!" Ah, those crazy warlocks being all fashionable and such. :)
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle. (Thanks G.I. Joe.)

Now, I've recently dinged 90 (current level cap) and was wondering, how should I be approaching the rep grind, raiding and other end game stuff? Is there a daily quest area like with Argent Crusade in WoTLK?
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Hi Guys,

Looking at coming back and as has been mentioned it's hard to actually know where to start in a game that's progressed a fair bit. I'm a fire mage but don't know where to start with spec. I thoroughly enjoyed raiding with my old guild and the friendships we formed. Don't really care for PVP or reaching achievements (unless it's a requirement for raiding). Anyone keen to show and old hand what's been happening would be appreciated (main play year was 2010).

Cheers
Epi
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Is there a daily quest area like with Argent Crusade in WoTLK?

There's several daily quest areas in MoP: halfhill market, the golden Pagoda, Klaxxi, Shadow Pan, Cloud Serpent, thunder isle, anglers, and the horde/alliance landing points in Karrasang. You don't have to do them all, but they all have benefits and can help your character.

03/27/2013 05:18 PMPosted by Epiphani
I'm a fire mage but don't know where to start with spec.

Fire mages are doing just fine in raiding. The talent tree is very different now, you'll see when you restart. Talents are now hot swappable with a consumable. There are 6 rows of talents that are the same no matter what spec you are and only one choice allowed per row. All the old "must have or you're gimping yourself" talents from the old trees are now just baked directly into your spec.

As for glyphs, and secondary stat itemization, you don't really have to worry about those until you get to level cap.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
I played for less than six months about two years ago and I'll be picking up soon. I just want to get a good idea of the basics as I was just getting the hang when I quit. I'm rereading the game guide is there anything else i should read in addition to that and the link above? How about RP guides, I want to get heavy into that.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I can't really help you much with RP but if you have any questions about anything in game try making a thread on this forum.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
How about RP guides, I want to get heavy into that.

The forum titled "World's End Tavern" is the RP forum on this website. It has threads dedicated to explaining RP (and general conduct guidelines) as well as threads containing actual RP.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
I can't really help you much with RP but if you have any questions about anything in game try making a thread on this forum.

Ok, thank you

03/31/2013 02:31 PMPosted by Avanna
How about RP guides, I want to get heavy into that.

The forum titled "World's End Tavern" is the RP forum on this website. It has threads dedicated to explaining RP (and general conduct guidelines) as well as threads containing actual RP.

I'm heading over there now. Thank you!
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Hi I have just reactivated my account and was wondering what would be good to level first my hunter or shaman?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
After 8 years, I have finally picked it back up and my god, things have changed so much!
Thank you for the guide!
<3
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
Hello, all!

I stopped playing a few years back and now I am considering coming back. There is just so much that seems to have changed and it's overwhelming!

Would anyone interested point me in a good direction for getting up to speed on things? Also, I've been reading about this Scroll or Resurrection thing... how would I go about getting one sent to me?

Thanks!
Airi
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
The link in the first post in this thread is general overview stuff. For more detailed info and questions:

Make your own thread in this forum and ask as many questions as you want. The regulars here will do their best to answer them.

As for the Scroll of Resurrection, there's a sticky thread near the top of this forum called "Scroll of Resurrection requests". Make a post in that thread (and ONLY that thread) from any character on the lapsed account. Eventually you'll get a response with the word "sent". You'll get a code (not sure if it comes in your e-mail or just attaches itself to your battle.net account) and you'll need to use that code to reactivate you account.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]