Clickers vs Button Mashers

90 Worgen Death Knight
I see so many backpedaling ranged classes in BGs these days. If you're a hunter and a clicker and you pvp, at least unbind your s key. It'll help.
Reply Quote
I could never get the hang of using keybinds. I feel like with one hand on the mouse and another hand on WASD, how am I supposed to reach any of the keybids? I have to move my fingers off of my movement keys, and then if I have to move, then my fingers are in the wrong spot. I mean, I know I can move with the mouse too by using both the left and right click together, but I guess I couldn't get used to that.

Luckily, my brother got me a Razer Naga mouse for Christmas a few years ago, so I mostly use that. Makes it a lot easier.
Reply Quote
I could never get the hang of using keybinds. I feel like with one hand on the mouse and another hand on WASD, how am I supposed to reach any of the keybids? I have to move my fingers off of my movement keys, and then if I have to move, then my fingers are in the wrong spot. I mean, I know I can move with the mouse too by using both the left and right click together, but I guess I couldn't get used to that.

I have the same issue. I've key-bound my main rotation to the keys around the WASD but even with being able to cast while moving with a talent now, I can't seem to cast anything until I stop moving.

How do other people do it?

I had the thought of binding a cast sequence macro to a key my thumb or pinky could get to but I know that isn't ideal. And Double button mouse moving makes my head hurt. I like to strafe. (I've bound A and D to strafe and Unbound S).
Edited by Jakit on 3/7/2013 7:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
03/07/2013 07:42 AMPosted by Jakit
How do other people do it?

Bind everything around WASD (or your keys of choice), add shift, control and alt modifiers.

I have Q, E, 1-4, Z, X, C, V, F and R bound with shift and alt modifiers for most of them. My left hand doesn't have to move much at all, typically no more than 1 key away from WASD.

EDIT: Sorry, misread.

For reaching keys at odd times, best option is to consider rebinding (for example, 2 and 3 are much easier to hit while strafing in either direction, while 1 is hard to hit while strafing left and 4 is hard to hit while strafing right). Alternatively, spin-jumps and just plain old avoiding those situations in the first place. If you have an instant on 1, then avoid situations where your only option is to move left. It won't work all the time, but it's decent.
Edited by Skootalloo on 3/7/2013 2:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
My dirty secret is I don't use my mouse for anything except to click quest givers and vendors etc or like queue for something.

I use the number pad for keybinds and arrow keys for movement with my right hand and left hand is more keybinds and strafing. It's not as accurate for turning of course and the funniest part is I have a mouse with all the same keys on the side as the number pad but it just always felt alien to me(90 dollars kinda wasted but it's pretty at least). If you're not handicapped, keyboard turning isn't nearly as much a hinderance as it's made out to be. It's like how people still rag on internet explorer when as of the current versions it's just as good with pros and cons as any other browser just in the past it had a bad rap.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I haven't done it myself, but I've heard some good things about people rebinding WASD as ESDF instead, to give your ring finger a couple of extra hotkeys to reach for without having to shift your hand to the right as much.

ESDF is pro
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
My dirty secret is I don't use my mouse for anything except to click quest givers and vendors etc or like queue for something.

I use the number pad for keybinds and arrow keys for movement with my right hand and left hand is more keybinds and strafing. It's not as accurate for turning of course and the funniest part is I have a mouse with all the same keys on the side as the number pad but it just always felt alien to me(90 dollars kinda wasted but it's pretty at least). If you're not handicapped, keyboard turning isn't nearly as much a hinderance as it's made out to be. It's like how people still rag on internet explorer when as of the current versions it's just as good with pros and cons as any other browser just in the past it had a bad rap.

No wonder you are always on a crusade to nerf classes in pvp.

You keyboard turn. Not only that, but you think it's nearly optimal.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
Show me where I said to nerf classes? I've never been on a nerf crusade.

Buffs to the wrong areas like people claiming they need more damage on steady shot when it should be added to the core shots like chimera? Yes. But please show me where I crusaded for a nerf ever. I'd like to see just one quote of me aiming to nerf something other than saying something akin to "if they buff rogues to compensate being low early in an expansion they need to nerf their scaling".

Edit: also I would wager I could beat you in arena keyboard turning any day of the week. Also show me where I said it was near optimal. I said it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.
Edited by Purebalance on 3/7/2013 3:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
This is why I bought a naga.

I can keyboard turn to my hearts content in PvE, Use my Mouse to turn in PvP, and still spam all my buttons. =D
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue
Keyboard turners are hilarious in PvP.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

No, I actually have more control, I like being able to move in multiple different directions instead of just going straight all the time and turning with the mouse. Strafing and what not.

I have tried keybinding, but it isn't fun imo. Not as engaging.

i think you are missing something.

plus half this thread is a pve perspective and half pvp.

for pve you can get away with clicking. for pvp not a chance.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
03/07/2013 02:20 PMPosted by Purebalance
If you're not handicapped, keyboard turning isn't nearly as much a hinderance as it's made out to be.

..... im not sure what to say here.... you know when melee runs behind you while you are casting and the cast doesnt go off because you are facing the wrong way? yeah thats the difference.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Clicking will by definition be slower than button pressing.

Why ?

Clicking = Move to button - press button.
Pressing = press button.

That doesn't mean that some good clickers can't go faster than some slow pressers.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
03/07/2013 03:52 PMPosted by Myrddin
If you're not handicapped, keyboard turning isn't nearly as much a hinderance as it's made out to be.

..... im not sure what to say here.... you know when melee runs behind you while you are casting and the cast doesnt go off because you are facing the wrong way? yeah thats the difference.

Except when most melee are all over you, half the casters are using something that doesn't require facing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage

You are free to do as you wish, but key-binding is faster. This doesn't mean you can't do OK as a clicker, but you'd prob do better after some practice with key-binding.

Personally I have more control over my character than I would if I relied on my mouse for near all movement.

Why do you think people don't use movement keys if they don't click spells..? You just use the mouse for changing your characters facing.

Edit: also I would wager I could beat you in arena keyboard turning any day of the week.

Warlocks have always been ridiculously forgiving in this area.
Edited by Kolzi on 3/7/2013 7:44 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]