Fistweaving still worth it?

03/08/2013 12:30 PMPosted by Kenpachi
But doesn't BoK requires 2 chi which requires 2 jabs, which requires 16% mana for a 4% return...right? Thats a 12% loss in mana.

If you have Power Strikes, you can occasionally Jab once for 2 Chi, and then immediately spend it on BoK. That's even more effective if there is more than one thing to hit. Though, if there are three enemy targets, SCK --> BoK is the way to go. SCK actually costs less than Jab now. It's kind of sad.

As for using our other abilities more, I find I'm watching when I use Jab significantly more than I was before the patch. So the mana cost boost succeeded in that regard as I try to get the Chi for a BoK/Uplift from another source, like SoM, ReM, CJL, or Expel Harm and Jab only when I want the MM proc. Also, I STILL use Chi Wave on cooldown, except now lets me still put out some extra healing/damage for no resource cost at all.

Power Strikes might well be the way to go now, but if the devs did these tests and found that MW HAVE to use power strikes then why would they push this change out the door. Didn't they get rid of the talent system for that very reason? So that people didn't feel forced to take certain things to make a spec or class work? Well we're right back to square 1 now thanks to them. They just got done making changes to talents on other classes because they were better than the other two choices or not as good at another and people were being forced to take one. They might as well take talent trees out of the game at this point. These talents shouldn't hinge on me being able to make a class "work". With the setup they have in the game one would assume they're their to enhance the class. If it's an ability a class has to have it should be in their tree by default. =\
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
03/08/2013 12:30 PMPosted by Kenpachi
If you have Power Strikes, you can occasionally Jab once for 2 Chi, and then immediately spend it on BoK.

Power Strikes might well be the way to go now

Actually no, Ascension is superior by far for fistweaving (the math is in the PTR forum too). It's 15% more mana and affects mana returns from both mana tea and muscle memory. Also, the shorter the fight, the better ascension is compared to the other 2 talents.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If you want to dps while healing go with Disc , they are all we should have been in that sense
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If you want to dps while healing go with Disc , they are all we should have been in that sense

We'd be there with a slight buff to eminence.
Reply Quote
85 Human Monk
03/08/2013 07:44 PMPosted by Xiaowu
If you have Power Strikes, you can occasionally Jab once for 2 Chi, and then immediately spend it on BoK.

Power Strikes might well be the way to go now

Actually no, Ascension is superior by far for fistweaving (the math is in the PTR forum too). It's 15% more mana and affects mana returns from both mana tea and muscle memory. Also, the shorter the fight, the better ascension is compared to the other 2 talents.

I dunno I was ascension and swapped to power strikes and it seemed to help a lot, if for no other reason I can easily get BoK in much easier for the buff it gives to my healing with abilities, and just for one jab as well, which comes back every 20 seconds meaning my BoK buff never goes down unless I neglect it on my own. How do you gain 2 chi without 3 enemies and SCK or double jabbing? I'm trying to learn.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I'm in the Power Strike camp as well. Getting two Chi per jab is IMMENSELY helpful while fistweaving.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
I'm in the Power Strike camp as well. Getting two Chi per jab is IMMENSELY helpful while fistweaving.

This. It helps to have an indicator for it. It's nice for all forms of chi generation.
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
Is fistweaving viable as a leveling build? I understand that you can level with any build, but would it be be dramatically slower than windwalker?
Reply Quote
88 Troll Death Knight
It would definitely be a lot faster pre-54, and probably will still beat WW all the way till 80.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
How do you gain 2 chi without 3 enemies and SCK or double jabbing? I'm trying to learn.

1) RM on cooldown
2) EH on cooldown
3) surging mist (w/ glyph for ease of use) at 5 stacks of vital

All 3 of these options will allow a BoK far more often than is required to maintain SZ
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
03/09/2013 09:04 PMPosted by Linnelle
How do you gain 2 chi without 3 enemies and SCK or double jabbing? I'm trying to learn.

1) RM on cooldown
2) EH on cooldown
3) surging mist (w/ glyph for ease of use) at 5 stacks of vital

All 3 of these options will allow a BoK far more often than is required to maintain SZ

This pretty much. Since I'm using the other spells that generate Chi more often because Jab is so expensive, I'm not really finding my mana situation to be all that strained. If I was having mana issues, I'd probably switch over to try out Ascension myself because of the increase in mana regen from MM. As it is, I don't find a need for that and I like the extra Chi every 20 seconds.

Of course, I also don't do any raiding other than LFR these days, so the situation is likely much different for Mistweavers in Normal/Heroic. But that's what they wanted with the talents this time around: To give us choice for our different situations and play styles. :D
Reply Quote
I'm usually swimming in Chi...

And I end up with so much Tea I'm looking for a nice corner spot to open up a speciality Cafe.

A combination of power strikes and using all of the various things that generate Chi on their respective cooldowns leaves me maxing out the Chi bar often within the first few seconds of a fight. My problem now is learning to time my spending of it. Maxing it out is not so good after all - but I have mastered getting a steady flow of it coming in...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
03/06/2013 10:15 AMPosted by Xiaowu
It does not provide major healing but you could 5 man heal with fistweaving

You coul heal 5-mans spamming SCK for that matter. 5-man is not a good measure for a healing tool. Fistweaving is a very defficient healing tool right now. Just because you pulll big dps numbers it doesn't mean it's good: MW is a healer spec, and fistweaving should be a viable healing tool, just as atonement is. For instance I healed Jin'Rokh last night on my disc priest by using only atonement and SS / PW:B for lightning storms. Go ahead and try that with fistweaving.

Lastly, AOE. I haven't had much time to crunch numbers here, but it actually seems like this is a strength.

Yup. Fistweaving is the shadow priest of the healing tools. Great for clearing trash, sucks for actual boss fights.

as for that comment since the change to shadow priest healing fist weaving is much better then that. builds some chi more easily which you can dump into a renewing mist on the tank or an uplift boosted with tea to keep the hot going.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Explain this to me like I'm an idiot:

How is fistweaving best used in a 10-man raid scenario, assuming the raid has two healers (Monk & ???)?

It just seems like a worthless, clunky mechanic. I have to be in melee range so I have to worry about the damage I'm taking, my position, and the damage the raid is taking. Additionally, I'm not doing enough healing via only fistweaving to actually AOE heal the raid so I'm going to have to cast normal healing spells as well. It just seems rather pointless.

Also, is it possible to be a successful monk healer without fistweaving?

To be honest, prior to today I hadn't healed anything since before 5.1 hit and I noticed that my chi generation via soothing mists was awesome and I didn't seem to be having mana issues like I was pre-5.1
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Also, is it possible to be a successful monk healer without fistweaving?

To be honest, prior to today I hadn't healed anything since before 5.1 hit and I noticed that my chi generation via soothing mists was awesome and I didn't seem to be having mana issues like I was pre-5.1

I don't raid 10 mans so I can't answer your first question, but for this - in 5.1 it was not possible to be a decent monk healer without it. Now, it is. However I'm sure there are fights/mechanics that heavily cater to fistweaving, so it's at least good to know how to do it if the opportunity arises. But soothing is a really easy, cheap, and reliable chi generator now, which it wasn't pre-patch.

A good monk knows how to do both and alternates when necessary.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
After raiding with the new patch I've come to the sad conclusion that the new fistweaving is pretty much !@#$. Its gonna be fun to use on farm content and joke bosses like jinrokh that do small amounts of constant predictable damage but beyond that bosses are doing huge amounts of burst damage making uplift more important than ever and since fistweaving cant be used with uplift anymore...well u do the math. Healing with fistweaving might put up decent hps but it also puts a much bigger burden on other healers because you're not healing enough when it matters. Whereas before you could fistweave and still be always effective due to uplift. With SM being decent now fistweaving has been unfortunately reduced to gimmick status
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If you want the class to still be interesting, continue fistweaving. If you want significant HPS, mistweave.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Your fistweaving does significantly less healing than similarly geared healers

You can still do it all you want but some groups may not want to have to carry your gimped fist heals. Most groups will want your full healing output tbh unless you outgear the content. Generally you will just join groups, do your fistweaving, and nobody will really notice unless they wipe and get mad at your gimp healing.

Yeah the dmg is pretty nice. I can just jab/palm mobs in the world and I'm hitting for over 100k on crits. Kinda redonk. Still not as easy as being WW or BM but you can clear mobs as MW no problem now.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Why can't Jab be used with Uplift? Or are you saying that the benefits of TP and BoK are so much better after a Jab that you shouldn't use it to power Uplift?

There is one thing I like about the new MW spec: When I forget to switch specs, I can still kill virmen on my farm very quickly.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]