Everyone seems to tell me to go disc

90 Night Elf Priest
I'm a bit frustrated.

Since I'm new to the game, more or less (how long can I get away with saying this?) everyone seems to want to tell me what I'm doing is wrong.

It's like being the new kid in high school and I'm hating it.

I was doing pretty well as a holy priest, dealing out 30-50hps without OOM'ing in ilvl 463 gear. I was confident with my haste stacking build to pump out the thoroughput and it I was able to keep enough spirit to make it viable.

But then I get whispered. Gotta go disc. Holy is easy mode and disc is way better.

And funny enough, I started as disc in 5.0 and everyone kept yelling at me to go holy.

So now I'm disc. And I'm not sure how I want to heal in this spec.

Should I dps to get stacks of evangelism to put some serious heals out in wide raid damage while keeping a CD bubble up on the main tank?

I mean, where is the big raid wide heal I've come to love? Disc seems to be very good, yes, but Divine Hymn saved my butt in LFR. I'm petrified in disc because I can't just hrow that down when the lights start to go dark.

Any tips on disc? I already un reforged my gear to go back to spirit>mastery>crit

I just don't feel comfortable in this spec.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
If you don't feel comfortable, just go back to holy. If they start bickering with you that disc is better, say that the patch changed a lot of things and holy is equal (kind of a stretch, but you can make it work with puggers).
Reply Quote
What it comes down to is, disc may have more potential, but if you are not comfortable with the spec you will never see that potential. Stay holy. You will perform better with something you "get" and "enjoy" than you will with something that you do not like just because it looks better on paper.
Edited by Morenn on 3/7/2013 6:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Well honestly 25 man competitive raiding is where I want to be. Is the learning curve that steep? Or can someone get a hold of it with practive pretty quickly?

I just see (likely because of patch changes) quite a bit of conflicting answers on how to play as disc.

Edit: Without trying to sound full of myself-- I'm not intimidated by difficulty. I just want to know where the utility comes from in disc.

I will and can learn anything that makes me a more viable 25 man healer.
Edited by Naérdriel on 3/7/2013 6:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
Well honestly 25 man competitive raiding is where I want to be. Is the learning curve that steep? Or can someone get a hold of it with practive pretty quickly?

ANYTHING can be mastered with enough practice.

Edit: Without trying to sound full of myself-- I'm not intimidated by difficulty. I just want to know where the utility comes from in disc.

Absorbs, ability to dps WHILE healing, excellent cooldowns.

edit: To clarify the dps thing since holy can do more dps in red chakra than disc can with atonement. If someone were to say to me "ok do as much dps as you can" and then the next time "try to put out as much healing as you can". They would, effectively, be exactly the same thing as disc, but not so for holy.
Edited by Morenn on 3/7/2013 6:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
03/07/2013 06:10 AMPosted by Morenn

ANYTHING can be mastered with enough practice.

Absorbs, ability to dps WHILE healing, excellent cooldowns.

The only thing I'm truly intimidated by is the lack of Divine Hymn. I became very dependent on that to heal big raid dmg in LFR.

Will pennance/PoH/PoM/Cascade be able to AOE enough to make up for having one really CD heal?
Reply Quote
The only thing I'm truly intimidated by is the lack of Divine Hymn. I became very dependent on that to heal big raid dmg in LFR.

Will pennance/PoH/PoM/Cascade be able to AOE enough to make up for having one really CD heal?

You forgot Spirit Shell. :) While it did take a hit in 5.2, it is still pretty potent, and still on a 1min cd.

edit: If you would like to run LFR together sometime so I can demonstrate/you can get an idea. Btag is Joanna#1419
Edited by Morenn on 3/7/2013 6:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

You forgot Spirit Shell. :) While it did take a hit in 5.2, it is still pretty potent, and still on a 1min cd.

Spirit shell is really generally supposed to be kept on CD from my understanidng, as well as the talent power infusion?

I was generally using power infusion-pain surpression on MT-ss and then PoH/Mending and going to spot heal with single target during high dmg phases.

during low damage phases i was power infusion/holy fire/smite/pennance and spot healing with renew, PoH, PoM.

Is that a pretty decent way to go about it? Using Pain surpression and SS especially right before big damage is coming (as per DMB timers, generally)

Also, I wrote down your btag and that would be great. I don't know anyone who runs disc to talk to me about it or show me much of anything. So it would be much appreciated. =)
Edited by Naérdriel on 3/7/2013 6:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
Spirit shell is really generally supposed to be kept on CD from my understanidng, as well as the talent power infusion?

I was generally using power infusion-pain surpression on MT-ss and then PoH/Mending and going to spot heal with single target during high dmg phases.

during low damage phases i was power infusion/holy fire/smite/pennance and spot healing with renew, PoH, PoM.

Is that a pretty decent way to go about it? Using Pain surpression and SS especially right before big damage is coming (as per DMB timers, generally)

Read my edit :) For lfr I don't use renew, or single target heals really. Atonement handles all things outside raid-wide damage.. unless a tank is super-duper squishy, but generally speaking this is not the case.

edit: Just saw your edit so yeah.. add me and we can do some lfrs :)
Edited by Morenn on 3/7/2013 6:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Play what you like.

Both specs have it's pros and cons, don't listen to others.

Discipline healing just had a massive overhaul. Nothing in 5.1 can be considered true now, what can be considered a good shot is that Atonement is stronger now, so you might want to cast a lot of offensive spells.

I'm doing around 40k DPS in some fights in LFR and still doing around 18~20% of the healing after I reforged all my Spirit into Haste, Mastery and Crit (balanced). I'm using PW:Solace on cooldown, so mana is not a problem anymore and I can use actual stats, which is great.

You will also want to maintain your tanks shielded all the times, and spam some PW:Shield or Soul Shell in moments of predictable damage. You will only use actual heals when someone is taking massive damage, don't mind casting some Flash Heals now that they are cheaper, but don't spam them.

The strengh of Discipline right now seems to be the extra damage we bring. We are also still very good in moments of predictable raid damage, but we lack the ability to bring health bars back up quickly.

Most people who love Holy and hate Discipline seems to be unconfortable with casting offensive spells while healing. If it's the case, try to type some target macros so you cast Atonement spells to assist your target when healing. It makes everything much easier.
Edited by Caramelo on 3/7/2013 6:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
If it's the case, try to type some target macros so you cast Atonement spells to assist your target when healing. It makes everything much easier.

Requires you to be facing your target's target. If you're like me and you go crazy when your buttons don't work, this is a recipe for insanity.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I'm not uncomfortable with dmg dealing while healing, so that won't be an issue. Mostly just this

"We are also still very good in moments of predictable raid damage, but we lack the ability to bring health bars back up quickly"

Where with my holy i had tons of haste and spirit, I could spam the hell out of flash heal and take advantage of my serendipity to bring up health bars fast and divine hymn was very useful to me.

I have dps specs and tanks specs for alts, so it's not that I'm stuck in one thing.

I'm actually a bit excited to have a more varied role.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Tell 'em to go pound sand, sugar.
/holyfist
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/07/2013 06:28 AMPosted by Kaels
If it's the case, try to type some target macros so you cast Atonement spells to assist your target when healing. It makes everything much easier.

Requires you to be facing your target's target. If you're like me and you go crazy when your buttons don't work, this is a recipe for insanity.

yup, but considering you don't go full retard and face your raid most of the time, you will be facing the boss, so it's an easy way to cast an offensive spell with no need to change targets.

#showtooltip
/cast [harm][@targettarget] Power Word: Solace

Very easy, it will cast PW:Solace in your target if it's an enemy or in the target of your target if it's an ally. I use it for all my damaging spells, Smite, Holy Fire, Shadowfiend, even SW:Pain and SW:Death (I know, but I like to cast them just for the lols).

The best thing about it is that it's an assist macro, so you don't have to worry if it will cast on the right target or press F, you will always hit the right target.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Tell 'em to go pound sand, sugar.
/holyfist

That's what the boyfriend told me too. ^^;

I figure I'll give disc my best go, if I like it, good for me. If not, I'll join you with a /holyfist.

I'm too new to choose sides. Better to have tried something and decided it wasn't for me than to ignore the potential I may find.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
03/07/2013 06:39 AMPosted by Caramelo

yup, but considering you don't go full retard and face your raid most of the time, you will be facing the boss, so it's an easy way to cast an offensive spell with no need to change targets.

#showtooltip
/cast [harm][@targettarget] Power Word: Solace

Very easy, it will cast PW:Solace in your target if it's an enemy or in the target of your target if it's an ally. I use it for all my damaging spells, Smite, Holy Fire, Shadowfiend, even SW:Pain and SW:Death (I know, but I like to cast them just for the lols).

The best thing about it is that it's an assist macro, so you don't have to worry if it will cast on the right target or press F, you will always hit the right target.

I think this is a nifty idea.

(You NEVER go full retard)

But I have mouseover macros for all my heals as it is, with my 12 button mouse. So I'm not really needing to shave any more time off with reaction times. Also, targeting off the tank is pretty cake, (or off the dps depending).

But I can see it's application.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I always had @targettarget macros written for Holy Fire and Smite when I was Disc in Cata (and still do, though my priest is not my raiding main in MoP). I even wrote an @targettarget macro for Shadowfiend (and later, Mindbender, when the pre-MoP patch hit), though that can be "dangerous" depending whether your target actually has something targeted that's going to live long enough for the pet to be able to give you your full mana return.

I highly recommend it; there's very little reason for you to ever target something hostile while Holy Fire/Smite/PW:So (and presumably Penance, though that's one I've continued to forget to change over, in MoP)

Morenn (and quite possibly others) have already said this in a different way; I'll say it again in my own way.

Holy excels at filling up close-to-empty green health bars. With Disc, if you let the green health bars drain, you have very little ability to fill them back up. Disc prevents health bars from draining in the first place, if played well.

Now, that was definitely the case in Cata, and was less so the case in MoP, pre-5.2 PoH change. The MoP buffs to Atonement and Archangel, as well as the lvl 90 talents, gave Disc more ability than we'd seen for as long as I'd played the spec to "fill up green health bars" if we wanted to.

I presume Disc in 5.2 is back to heavy on the "prevent damage" thing. So your best tool as a Disc priest is to know the fights. Know the mechanics, know which ones you want to use Spirit Shell for, know which ones will work well for multiple PW:S. Know when *not* to shield (ie... if a non-tank takes damage, but will *not* take reasonable damage in the next 15 sec, do *not* shield them, do *not* use Spirit Shell at that moment).

DBM timers are a Disc player's best friend. As you do more and more normal-mode raiding, you can learn to open the DBM config and go in there and tinker with the warnings and timers you don't want cluttering your display, so you can concentrate on the information that's crucial to you.

Have fun :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I love Discipline, it's my spec of choice even when we get massive nerfs or overhauls. But it's different from most traditional healing.

Shields serve a different purpose than heals. You prevent damage before it happens. Some people got really pissed off in 5.1 because our shields were so strong that they didn't had to heal, so it got a bit nerfed.

Most classes play the healing game really passively. They wait idle for the damage till it happens and then they heal the bars back up. Discipline differs from this because it's preempitive shielding + damage, and it's awesome because I don't stop pressing buttons a single second.

Imagine doing 40k damage and still be the top healer for a fight. Imagine nonstop casting because even when everyone is full health you can help with damage and bubbles. If you like action, Discipline is great, and that's why I love it even when we're not so effective.
Edited by Caramelo on 3/7/2013 7:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
"Holy excels at filling up close-to-empty green health bars. With Disc, if you let the green health bars drain, you have very little ability to fill them back up. Disc prevents health bars from draining in the first place, if played well."

Ell, I'm just worried that this won't be forgiving enough for me to learn on the fly, but this was so straight forwardly put, thank you.

I'm excited to try and exceed with this spec. It seems like they have a lot to bring to the table.

Thank you everyone for all the extremely helpful and detailed answers.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

If it's a 1-boss no-add fight, then it's easy enough to just keep the boss targeted.

If it's an add/multi-boss fight, you will go crazy trying to use targettarget macros anyway, so you might as well just target something big.
Edited by Kaels on 3/7/2013 7:16 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]