The Age Old Question: Mastery or Haste?

90 Human Paladin
Hey all,

So I finally got my Prot Pally to 90 not too long ago and have begun purchasing the i489 and up gear to get into raids. I've done alot of studying of the class but one thing that still isn't that clear to me is that in many of the guides that claim the Control/Haste build is better, also say it's harder to play, and vice-versa with the Control/Mastery build. Is that because you have to more actively mitigate damage or what? I never really saw a guide that went more in-depth with that.

I'm actually also kind of still stuck on which route to go. I have a second set of gear for my offspec (Ret) that I used while gearing and have some interchangeable items that have haste on them so I just decided to continue down that route for my Prot as well. So I'm leaning towards Haste just not 100%. I don't want to make the wrong choice and have to re-gem and re-forge
:-/
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Haste loses value the more often you fail to use Holy Power generators on cooldown. If you have trouble using abilities on cooldown, haste may not be the right choice.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I am so frustrated with gearing right now, I don't even know what to do.

I think I'm just going to go straight up Mastery.

My problem is every freaking stat seems ideal and I don't like it.

By the time you get your hit and expertise taken care of, there's no more room in gemming/enchants/reforges for anything else. If you aren't a "raider", your gearing "options" are down to one of two pieces usually - both of which have one stat you want and another that you don't.

Don't I want stamina too? Dodge/Parry diminish at different rates, so room is needed to reforge them so I'm not getting screwed by diminishing returns. What the hell!
Reply Quote
50 Human Hunter
Whatever is effective for your playstyle, but Mastery is generally recognized as the superior stat for Prot Pally's unless this patch changed something.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Whatever is effective for your playstyle, but Mastery is generally recognized as the superior stat for Prot Pally's unless this patch changed something.

Mastery hasn't been preferred since the end of Cataclysm.

Don't I want stamina too? Dodge/Parry diminish at different rates, so room is needed to reforge them so I'm not getting screwed by diminishing returns. What the hell!

The stamina you get on gear is enough, unless you're severely undergeared for the content you're doing. The dodge/parry diminishing returns ratio hasn't been important...well, ever. Even in Cataclysm, when CTC capping was so important, the gain from balancing them was incredibly miniscule.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
OK, still not answered.

Not according to a majority of the builds I've seen on pally guides and the top-tier paladins on my server. The thing is I don't know what my "playstyle" is. In which case would I want to go with Mastery and in which case would I want to go with Haste? If I go with Mastery what are the pros and cons. If I go with Haste what are the pros and cons? That's essentially what I'm wondering.

I am so frustrated with gearing right now, I don't even know what to do.

I think I'm just going to go straight up Mastery.

My problem is every freaking stat seems ideal and I don't like it.

By the time you get your hit and expertise taken care of, there's no more room in gemming/enchants/reforges for anything else. If you aren't a "raider", your gearing "options" are down to one of two pieces usually - both of which have one stat you want and another that you don't.

There's 3 different stat priority routes you can go for your Prot Pally:

Control/Mastery (Most popular one right now):

Hit > Exp > Haste > Stamina > Mastery

Avoidance:

Mastery > Parry=Dodge > Hit > Exp

or arguably the best but "most difficult to play"

Control/Haste :

Hit > Exp > Haste > Stamina > Mastery

I would read up on it more before deciding which one to definitively choose.

www.askmrrobot.com (personalized character upgrade guide)

www.noxxic.com

and www.icy-veins.com are all great sites to help get you on the right track
Edited by Ipaymydebts on 3/6/2013 8:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
The objective of a Haste priority is that Haste will lower your primary tanking cooldowns, allowing you to use your abilities more often and therefore generate more Holy Power and/or mitigate damage.
This would be why it's more difficult of a strategy to execute. If you're not using your abilities, as someone said, you're at a disadvantage when it comes to not being owned by a raid boss.

And the hardcaps on Hit and Expertise that come along with Haste? No use having your abilities to use more often on lower CD if they're not making contact and contributing to your damage/damage mitigation.
Edited by Outro on 3/6/2013 9:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
http://sacredduty.net/2013/02/28/patch-5-2-tankadin-smoothness-simulations/

Theck is an Uber theorycrafter in all things Prot Paladin. He did simulations using MATLAB of all the different gearing strategies(and he's responsible for the AskMrRobot algorithms). Read through what he has to say, and make a decision based on that.

In my opinion, just follow what he does and you'll be good :)

He's saying that right now Hit/Exp cap, and then Stack mastery (The Control/Mastery) Provides the smoothest incoming damage across all ranges of incoming attacks. This, makes you the easiest to heal. You may take MORE damage, but since it's not spiking, healers can use more efficient heals instead of fast inefficient heals because you took a huge spike.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Basically, if you're good at playing Prot, you can choose either. Defensively, they're very close. However, haste improves your damage, and since tank damage is important this expansion most paladin tanks choose haste.

If you are not very good at playing Prot, mastery will be better because it adds passive defense (via block) that haste doesn't.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]