Temporal shield, Flameglow, Ice Barrier

90 Blood Elf Mage
Hello fellow mages,

As I've been I've been refining my play in preparation for arenas, I have yet to see an argument detailing the specifics of which "shield" players prefer. I say prefer, because as you all know these talents are all situationally useful. However, I would like to open up a discussion and get some opinions on which shield you've chosen and why.

To begin, I would like to state I will be doing 2v2 arenas as fire, and my opinion will reflect this fact. Frost is also viable (if not marginally stronger), however fire has been my passion since I started this game.

Firstly, temporal shield. This ability intrigues me due to the fact that it can be cast while stunned and is not on the GCD. Also, there is no limit to the amount that can be absorbed (and thusly healed assuming you're still alive). Why I think this would be a good choice for arenas is fundamental. Find a way to CC a target (healer / potential peeler), then burst in that narrow window of opportunity. This has been a fundamental aspect of arenas since their creation. Temporal shield offers a unique way to counter this.

Onward to Flameglow. I was not on the PTR, and I have yet to use this "passive" and im not going to pretend to be much more knowledgeable than the description of the ability allows me. Around 3kish PLUS (depending on spellpower) damage absorbed for what I assume every hit (dot ticks included{another assumption}). Obviously this is a gradual shield not intended to absorb burst, but what makes it unique is the fact that this "buff" simply resides in your spell book as a passive, will NEVER need to be re-casted, and cannot be dispelled by other players. This shines through (with temporal shield) when you're being stun-locked and cannot cast your Ice Barrier. Once again, i'm no expert on this talent. I do not know how often you get hit per minute, the average rate of absorption this will supply VS Ice Barrier, its all just speculation to me. Perhaps one of you can offer insight in this regard.

Ice barrier, a classic. Fairly straightforward, standard cast shield. Without it, most mages feel "naked". Obvious susceptibilities are the fact that it can be purged / stolen, and you cannot cast it while being locked down. Benefits include the 1 minute long duration, immunity to casting reductions while it remains active, and the ability to pair this with alter time to get, in a sense, two shields in a span of 10 seconds or so. While temporal shield can also share this synergy, flameglow cannot.

If you've managed to make it all the way through my walls of text, I salute you.

TL;DR, I WANT to use flameglow in arenas with Temporal Shield being a very close second, and Ice Barrier being an extemely close third. Im still very undecided however, so please offer your suggestions / ideas / insight.

For another souce of useful information, check out Affx's thread on some of the talent changes and how they pertain to pvp / arenas.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8088199850
Edited by Uknowmyglow on 3/6/2013 1:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I wrote a few words about arena talent choices in 5.2 here, and showed when to use Flameglow, and when to use Ice Barrier:

Temporal Shield just isn't reliable enough to use.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I wrote a few words about arena talent choices in 5.2 here, and showed when to use Flameglow, and when to use Ice Barrier:

Temporal Shield just isn't reliable enough to use.

This is exactly what I was looking for, you write about mitigation being in favor of flameglow, which is what I like to hear ^.^ . I also agree with your perspective on PoM vs Blazing speed.

I actually agree with you on just about every single thing you wrote. I want to use Greater Invisibility in arenas so bad, but I know I probably will never have the opportunity haha. Greater Invis in normal bgs though all the way =P.

Edit ~ Im actually quite surprised how recently you posted that. If I had seen it prior to writing this, it would have saved me 20 minutes of writing my own post. It must have been relegated to the deep dark abyss that is page 2 of the forums lulz.
Edited by Uknowmyglow on 3/6/2013 1:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Also Affx, if I may ask, why do you use the glyphs that you do? I know why you use armors and evo, but is DF glyph still king even after they added the -1 second duration on it? Also, do you not need imp poly glyph because of the arena comp you run? As a fire mage i'm not sure if I can get by without it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Also Affx, if I may ask, why do you use the glyphs that you do? I know why you use armors and evo, but is DF glyph still king even after they added the -1 second duration on it? Also, do you not need imp poly glyph because of the arena comp you run? As a fire mage i'm not sure if I can get by without it.

I was doing random BGs last night, glyphs are for that. I normally run armors/poly/df. DF is still good, base duration increased to 5 seconds so 5.2 glyphed is the same as 5.1 glyphed. It's too awkward to use on the GCD, and you get more effective time casting in to DF with the glyph.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I suppose thats true. Did you see the glyph says "reduces duration by 1,000 seconds"? I had a good laugh over that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
That's just how datamining has always worked on mmo-champ, uses the programming language's numerical system with a comma instead of a period, and decimals to the 1/1000th place, but yeah, it's been confusing for me in the past :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Switched to blazing speed and ice ward with armors glyph and doing WAY better now thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Flameglow is only good when your opponents deal many constant small damage.

Assassin Rogue, enhancement shaman fall into this category.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]