Dmg-to-healing conversions & resilience

90 Undead Priest
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7811342046?page=21#418

We're making a change to the way damage-to-healing conversions work so that the healing is not affected by resilience. The healing will be based on how much damage would have been done as if the target had no resilience. If you hit an opponent for 10K and have a mechanic that converts damage into 50% healing, your hit may land for 6K because of resilience, but the heal will still be 5K (50% of the unmitigated damage). This only applies to resilience, not to armor, Shield Wall or other forms of damage reduction.

This change currently includes Atonement, Glyph of Battle Healer, Ancestral Guidance, Vampiric Embrace, Nature's Vigil, Glyph of Siphon Life, Eminence, Glyph of Flame Shock, Leeching Poison, Death Siphon, Feral Spirit and Soul Leech.

Is this supposed to be live?

I can't figure out what's going on. The healing numbers for Atonement seem way too low. I've had it heal for a slightly higher number than the outgoing damage (post-resilience), but not near high enough to be fully ignoring resilience.

I've had it heal hunter pets for twice the amount it's healing players for (???).

Assumptions I am making that I will use for testing:

- Atonement heals should be affected by Battle Fatigue.
- Atonement heals should be affected by the new Disc mastery (confirmed)
- "Ignoring resilience" means both the resilience from gear as well as the 40% baseline resilience everyone gets.

Let's assume we have a dummy inside a battleground, such that Battle Fatigue is applied.

If I smite said dummy for 20k, I would expect to heal a nearby player (not myself) for 20k * 1.10 (mastery) * 0.7 (Battle Fatigue) for 15400.

If I then smite a player with 60% resilience, I would expect to hit him for 8000, but still heal a nearby player for 15400.

Is this correct?

----------------------------

Test results

All tests were done with a full stack of Evangelism and by using Smite only.

My stats:

Mastery - 11.885 to all healing, 23.77% to shields.
PvP Power - increases healing by 19.79% (does NOT seem to affect atonement heals)

Test case 1 - Training Dummy

Smite hits Training Dummy for 22341.
Smite heals nearby player for 24997.

Math checks out. 22341 * 1.11885 (mastery) = 24997.

Test case 2 - PvP geared player

I dueled a DK in Unholy Presence with 63% resilience.

Smite hits Player for 7710.
Smite heals you for 4528.

Atonement heals on self are reduced by 50%, so that's really a 9056 heal.

The number doesn't seem to make sense at first glance. What's really going on?

Let's first calculate what the Smite hit and heal would have been against someone with no resilience.

As far as I know, Unholy DKs have no passive damage reduction, so that would have been a 20838 hit and a 23307 heal against a dummy.

20838 * 1.11885 (mastery) * 0.7 (Battle Fatigue) = 16320.

Now let's see if maybe only the resilience from gear is being ignored.

20838 * 0.6 = 12503.

12503 * 1.1185 * 0.7 (Battle Fatigue) = 9789.

Doesn't add up either.

Test case 3 - PvP geared player, healing a Water Elemental

Holy Fire hits Player for 10196.
Atonement heals Water Elemental for 19856.

The player above has 53.88% resilience, if Armory is correct.

Against a dummy, the Holy Fire would have hit for 22108.

That should be a 22108 * 1.1185 (mastery) * 0.7 (Battle Fatigue) = 17309 heal.

Still doesn't add up.

Perhaps Battle Fatigue is not applied to pets, but then those numbers don't make sense either.

----------------------------

I really have no idea what's going on. It's quite possible I might have messed up the math or the order in which things are calculated, or forgotten some other multiplier.

Can anyone else test this? I'm especially interested in other damage-to-healing effects, such as Eminence, and how they are working against a target wearing resilience gear.
Edited by Yomen on 3/6/2013 6:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I was very interested in this myself, so thanks for doing the legwork. I think I might have found the missing variable.. pvp power.

My first thought was that it shouldn't apply here, since this is a heal. But is this considered a damage spell on both phases? The initial smite would not gain the benefit of pvp power, and it looks like the second phase, the healing phase, is also again, not benefiting from pvp power.

My very rough calc is that not having pvp power on the heal would only give the heal a ~%57 effectiveness in full pvp gear if this is the case. Which in your example would be:

20838 * 1.11885 (mastery) * 0.7 (Battle Fatigue) * 0.57 (pvp power loss) = 9302. which is pretty close.

So this is bad news for us in the end, since Blizzard did what they said they would do. But we're still getting shafted of our pvp power on a heal here.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
This would also explain why pets are getting roughly the full heal. Since they are not "enemy players", they are getting the full pvp power bonus on the heal.

edit...

Hmm, this is confusing somewhat when I say "enemy player", but I think in general, pvp power is what's causing this.
Edited by Exhumé on 3/8/2013 2:50 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]