My DPS is Horrible

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I am a relatively new Ret pally, I played a Hunter from BS-Cata a warrior in Cata, a Frost DK in the start of MoP and switched to Ret Pally to give my raid team more utility and survival cooldowns, what I didnt expect is stupidly low numbers even when comparably geared finally to my DK. My dps has been low as my group carried me, but now I am at 485 and my numbers are still just terrible. I'm not going to blame the class, pretty sure I just suck at it. Any advice? BTW on the armory it's showing my Expertise at 0.00 but thats not even possible its actually at 7.54% or w/e. I keep inq up at 3 stacks at all times and I'm pretty sure I am doing the priority rotation correctly. I've seen some retadins pulling 110-130k dps in 489-490 gear, so i have a hard time believing 3-4 ilvl's will double my dps. I currently pull around 60k on a easy fight and like 45k on mechanic heavy fights as I raid lead and raid call. What gives you experienced retadins!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Below hit cap, missing two enchants (including weapon), have no set bonuses. Our T14 set bonuses are pretty strong, and the Rets you see doing amazing DPS at this point likely have at least the 2p. Missing your attacks, however, is the biggest problem, I think, as lack of Holy Power is extremely detrimental to our DPS. And the weapon enchant is a pretty big aid to our DPS, too; even Windsong would be better than nothing if you don't feel comfortable shelling out for Dancing Steel.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ohhh it has my hit value wrong as well, anyone know why my armory profile and in game character sheet are drastically different on hit and expertise? And yea even with the "new and improved" drop rates I couldn't get a piece of tier if my life depended on it I guess.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
There are some things you should fix with your gear, which Grognard has pointed out. Also check some guides, just to confirm that you're using the right rotation.

You say you're new, so I don't know exactly how familiar you are with your rotation, which is sometimes overlooked in these discussions. I switched to a Razer Naga mouse recently, and my DPS just bombed for about a couple weeks until I got used to the new control scheme (autoattack frequently being my #1 source of damage by a wide margin, which should NOT happen) because I could no longer rely on muscle memory and had to constantly think 'what am I using next, where is the button for that'. Mental latency, basically. It can make quite a difference, so practice until you no longer have to constantly think about it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I'd suggest reading the sticky tbh.

Hit rating is showing up at 6.8%, you need 2550 rating

Other than that, everything looks fine. It's always a good idea to download simulationcraft and run it to find your custom weights for proper gemming.

We received a 5% buff to Sword of Light, and a baseline 2 minute CD on Avenging Wrath, this is a pretty good dps increase. Full raid buffs with your gear, I'd say 85-90k is pretty realistic over the course of a normal raid fight ( 6 - 7 minutes ) with no damage modifiers.

You say you are doing the priority correctly, but I highly doubt that is true. If that were correct in your gear, you would be much higher.
What priority are you following?

Correct priority should be
Inq>TV5>ES>HoW(if under 20%) >Exo>CS>J>TV3

For cooldowns ( if using HA ) you should wait about 10 seconds before popping AW/HA. There is no reason not to line these up anymore.

Casting Execution Sentence with Str procs up and Inquisition is a pretty substantial dps increase, just don't delay this so long that you would lose another use waiting for your ICDs.

I would download ClcRet if you are having problems with your rotation, and I would get a tracker like PowerAuras/WeakAuras/Tellmewhen to monitor trinket procs, and things you "might" forget about.

That's really all the help I can offer, unless you are a bit more specific or.... you can give me a log report?
Edited by Carbuncle on 3/7/2013 4:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Here is a basis for comparison for you since we are very similarly geared. Here is a parse from our raid on Tuesday, I was 486 at the time (I hadn't gotten my neck piece yet). I am not a pro, but solidly competent normal mode raider, this last tier I was around 60% percentile of rets (so above average, but nothing to brag about).

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-8fqcz9zjk8cyg5ba/

As others have mentioned, read the stickies on priority, I absolutely love WeakAuras to give me the alert information I need to maximize my DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Ohhh it has my hit value wrong as well, anyone know why my armory profile and in game character sheet are drastically different on hit and expertise? And yea even with the "new and improved" drop rates I couldn't get a piece of tier if my life depended on it I guess.

Your hit is displayed correctly - I moused over the tooltip for rating rather than trusting the number, because there are obviously issues with armory. You're at about 2300 rating, you need 2550.

As to tier drops, how many Elder Charms do you have? How much have you done on the Isle of Thunder? I started patch with four Elder Charms and now have about sixteen just from doing quests on IoT. Did Sha last night and got a second set of Ret tier pants from a coin. You can also run Sha/Galleon/LFR bosses multiple times in a week and use multiple coins for loot attempts.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
[quote]You can also run Sha/Galleon/LFR bosses multiple times in a week and use multiple coins for loot attempts.

Is this new for 5.2? I don't see it in the patch notes, because you could NOT do this in 5.1.
Edited by Turand on 3/7/2013 9:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Yes, you could it prior to 5.2 and I assume you still can now - but it only works for coins, not basic loot assignment. In one week in 5.1, I ran Terrace up to Lei Shi multiple times trying to farm my shoulder token; three runs, four chances (basic loot, three coins).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My misunderstanding, there was incorrect comments on wowhead. Carry on. :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I am going to toss this out there, and no offense if i get ignored...
Can anyone recommend a good ClcRET priority for 5.2, i am using the stock one and i think i am getting lower ### then i should be.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Can anyone recommend a good ClcRET priority for 5.2, i am using the stock one and i think i am getting lower ### then i should be.

inq inqdp tvdp inqes tv5 how exo cs j tv4 tv3 ss
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

inq inqdp tvdp inqes tv5 how exo cs j tv4 tv3 ss

inq tv5 howaw tv4aw exoaw tvaw how exo cs j tv3 inqes ss what i have what would be the difference?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
oh, your settings is the same just with Wings running priority, I don't use mine other than to track es/lh/kick cd and selfless healer stack/Inq duration, so I haven't updated my settings for awhile since I don't use it to tell me what to hit lol
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks guys!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]