Plowing Change

28 Pandaren Mage
The hotfix didn't work. I still have "Occupied Soil" and can't plow now till.

This happened to me once, I had 2 plots that glitched and would not update. I could kill the vermin over and over. I was too lazy to submit a bug report, but it went away after a restart a couple of days later.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I was looking forward to this change, but I have to agree that it isn't worth it.

The benefit of having a mob pop out with 1/3 health doesn't really offset that you have to run over and spend 4-5 seconds clicking to re-till the soil. Not to mention that you're usually out of control of your character when still tilling, so the dazed mob doesn't offer any benefit. All-in-all, it's just easier to do it the old way.

Suggestion: make the plows kill the mobs. We still have plenty of mobs to deal with from planted crops, and this would make the tradeoff of tilling them worth something.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ummm...

Pre-5.2, when I used the plow, any "occupied soil" stayed occupied. I had to fight the virmen, then manually till the soil.

Once the bug is hotfixed, what happens now is I use my plow, the "occupied soil" ejects a stunned and mostly-dead virmen, and I fight it. At which point, I do like pre-5.2, and manually till the soil.

So the time savings (again, once the bug is completely fixed) is in not having to fight a virmen from 100% health and able to fight. Instead, you get them at 30% health, and get a short amount of time to do burst damage.

They made the virmen easier to fight. But you still have to manually till the soil they occupied.

Prior to 5.2, run around and click on all the occupied soils (single click, no cast time), aoe down virmen, then run the plow over everything.

Attempting to utilize this change to it's maximum benefit... plow all the plots, kill the still alive virmen, then run around and manually till all the plots that had virmen in them with the till's cast time.

Even though they pop out at 30% health instead of a 100%, that's what, 200k hp? Any geared toon knocks through that in a global or two anyway. Any time saved by the virmen starting at 30% hp is lost by the cast time manually tilling the plots.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Death Knight
Either way, I first get all the virmen out of the occupied soil and fight them (since I solo in blood spec, fighting one at a time takes a lot longer than fighting up to 6 all at once).

Then I go use the plow.

So yeah. Only difference for me is when I do the fighting (before plowing, now).
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
....then you decide that it should just uproot the vermin and still leave behind untilled soil, so you can then have to cover and manually click that one spot, thus eliminating the positive of the plow in the first place? How is there ANY logic behind that decision whatsoever? You have to disturb the soil to get the vermin out. If it also damages the vermin in the first place, and the plow CONTINUES and further effects the soil after it, why the hell does it not effect the soil the vermin is in? Is it MAGIC soil?

You just ran over a virmens nest with a massive plow, blew him out of the ground from said plow, and probably roll him around a bit.
The soil isn't going to be magically neat after that, plow or not. It makes sense you would have to fix that plot manually.

Also, I still think it is more efficient if you have many virmen in a few rows to just manually disturb them, kill them all at once, then plow. This change is good if you have A virmen or two in the same row.
Reply Quote
93 Troll Monk

Let me see if I can understand the "Logic" of what the original intent was behind this change.

You guys thought that we didn't like vermin cause it added time onto our farming thing(correct), so you decided to then have one of the tools that's designed to save time by keeping you from having to click each plot to also uproot the vermin(smart so far).

....then you decide that it should just uproot the vermin and still leave behind untilled soil, so you can then have to cover and manually click that one spot, thus eliminating the positive of the plow in the first place? How is there ANY logic behind that decision whatsoever? You have to disturb the soil to get the vermin out. If it also damages the vermin in the first place, and the plow CONTINUES and further effects the soil after it, why the hell does it not effect the soil the vermin is in? Is it MAGIC soil?

Angry over a few seconds? Calm down bud. No matter how you look at it, the time you save is there, be it a few seconds or more. It's far more noticeable in the cases that multiple plots in a single row are occupied. So you end up spending 2sec either clicking that plot or 3sec running the plow again... big whoop? Again, you still save on time, especially when you consider that you had to do that anyway before.

Not really upset. More...puzzled about the reason a change like this exists in the first place. You don't have to, and I don't plan to do it, but it does beg the question if something put in designed to save time, well, doesn't, why bother?
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
It's good for healers I suppose, and those without a DPS spec.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Monk
Very sorry to report this, but the hotfix didn't work.

On this character, there's still a patch of Occupied Soil that hasn't updated; the virmen's been dead for an hour and a half, I can't plow it, I can't pull another one out.

(edited to add)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8513/8536656213_0418c8e982.jpg

Screenshot taken one minute ago.

If you can create a new thread on the [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1012660/"]Bug Report forum[/url] with additional information on the sequence of events (and when) that happened it'll help us track the issue down.

Ok, I'm on it.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
Whoa whoa, why stop with plows, let engineers make lawn mowers, we'll take care of those nasty virmen.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I pop them all at once and drop my infernal on them
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
- It leaves the spot with the vermin in it unplowed, so you have to either plow the whole line again or manually plow that spot. It would be nice if it converted it to plowed after you killed the vermin so it would be consistent with the rest of the plowed row.

So much this. It would be truly awesome if, after we killed the vermin, the spot would automatically become plowed.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Ummm...

Pre-5.2, when I used the plow, any "occupied soil" stayed occupied. I had to fight the virmen, then manually till the soil.

Once the bug is hotfixed, what happens now is I use my plow, the "occupied soil" ejects a stunned and mostly-dead virmen, and I fight it. At which point, I do like pre-5.2, and manually till the soil.

So the time savings (again, once the bug is completely fixed) is in not having to fight a virmen from 100% health and able to fight. Instead, you get them at 30% health, and get a short amount of time to do burst damage.

They made the virmen easier to fight. But you still have to manually till the soil they occupied.

Less health is nice, but not at the cost of the plow no longer working right. I can usually kill the vermin, even several, quickly with this toon. It is far more efficient to kill them first than to plow them up and have to go back and manually fix the soil.

Thus the bonus is not much of a bonus, even though it is nice for lower level toons if they have less life.
Reply Quote
10 Undead Warrior

Considering that the plow went over an entire Virmen, uprooting them and all that, a single additional click on the recently disturbed plot of dirt after the commotion is not unexpected.

I agree with the OP. I had the exact same concerns when I first tested this, and thought it was a bugged when it didn't plow the dirt under the vermin. It seems counter productive to have to go back and do it again. The purpose of this new system (I assume), is to save time, and make farming more convenient. It is actually the opposite.

It's still faster and easier to just click through all the vermin available in the 16 slots, gather them up, kill them, THEN plow through the 4 lines at a time, without having to go back.

The new way, I have to plow a line, kill 1 or 2 vermin, click their plots to till the soil, then rinse and repeat 3 more times.

It's easier to just kill all the vermin at once.
Edited by Seneselina on 3/7/2013 3:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
It's not so bad for most of my chars but my feral druid has to change forms to kill the stunned virmen. Also not bad when there's one virmen but last night I had 3 in a row so my warlock had to fight all them then run back to the end, realign herself to replow the row.

My glitched plot needed a relog when running out of the phase did nothing.

Seems like it's more trouble than it's worth now.

Even the 4-seed planting seemed like a nice time saving until I decided to plant a portal seed. Didn't want to waste one seed by planting 4 in the space of 3 so had to run back and buy individual seeds. It's not the cost of the waste, just a waste if you don't plant all 4.

Nitpicking maybe but there's a reason why some people abandon their farms after a while since it's a bother.
Reply Quote
91 Gnome Mage
The Hotfix did not work, I just plowed my farm today and when I killed the Virmen, the spot remained occupied.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
The hotfix didn't work. I still have "Occupied Soil" and can't plow now till.

happened to me last night as well - until it's fixed, i suggest flying away from Halfhill, far enough that you're out in the zone proper, then return. I actually had to fight 2 virmen from the same plot, so that was... annoying :P the 2nd time i clicked it manually so no issues.

the weird thing is, the first time when using the plow i had 2 plots and both virmen popped, but only one plot bugged out... who knows.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue

Angry over a few seconds? Calm down bud. No matter how you look at it, the time you save is there, be it a few seconds or more. It's far more noticeable in the cases that multiple plots in a single row are occupied. So you end up spending 2sec either clicking that plot or 3sec running the plow again... big whoop? Again, you still save on time, especially when you consider that you had to do that anyway before.

Not really upset. More...puzzled about the reason a change like this exists in the first place. You don't have to, and I don't plan to do it, but it does beg the question if something put in designed to save time, well, doesn't, why bother?

The change is actually a significant help to those who aren't decently geared. If you have decent gear, and you've tried it, you'd still notice a good amount of time is saved (by ratio of how long it used to be).

If you choose to look at it literally, as in seconds difference, then practically everything isn't even worth creating. The plow saves us ~20sec of time vs individual clicking. It's just a quality of life change, nothing more. Just like the drop in rate of seeing those annoying wild vines, which only take around 10-15sec to clear out.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
03/07/2013 11:25 AMPosted by Rygarius
Considering that the plow went over an entire Virmen, uprooting them and all that, a single additional click on the recently disturbed plot of dirt after the commotion is not unexpected.

Maybe not, but the unexpected part is that it isn't any faster than just killing them before plowing, for the reasons people mentioned. I think a lot of people expected it to be more than flavor, especially given that the seed packets actually do save time.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
03/07/2013 03:51 PMPosted by Kiero
The change is actually a significant help to those who aren't decently geared. If you have decent gear, and you've tried it, you'd still notice a good amount of time is saved (by ratio of how long it used to be).

How many virmen were in the row when you tried it? I didn't notice any time difference at all (for me it was actually slower) but maybe that's because it's only worth it when the row has 2-3 occupied plots or something.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]