Plowing Change

90 Tauren Paladin
Vermin make excellent fertilizer.
Reply Quote
I propose a new WoW farming implement: A nozzle with an igniter attached where I can flood the virmen tunnels under my farm with a propane/air mix... and then blow them to pieces while collapsing their tunnel system.

Please?

/as seen on TV
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
I think the people comparing it to AOEing them down have already spoken true enough words as far as how pointless the change is, but I had to say something about the fail logic of comparing it to RL. The point of plowing something is to break up the dirt so it can be used for planting. It isn't to make nice neat little piles. A plow, even a small hand plow is not going to have it's performance affected by a vermin, or any other critter for that matter since it is going to push said vermin out in front and still plow behind it. Even if it did, it doesn't matter because the end result is that the dirt is now loose and suitable for planting your seed.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
03/07/2013 04:07 PMPosted by Lorelei
The change is actually a significant help to those who aren't decently geared. If you have decent gear, and you've tried it, you'd still notice a good amount of time is saved (by ratio of how long it used to be).

How many virmen were in the row when you tried it? I didn't notice any time difference at all (for me it was actually slower) but maybe that's because it's only worth it when the row has 2-3 occupied plots or something.

I've encounter plot rows of 1-2 vermin so far. Even on the 1 occupied rows, it only takes me 2sec to kill off the remaining HP. Another 2sec to till the spot. Versus the 5-10sec to kill the full HP vermin. Like you pointed out, it's more noticeable with more occupied spots.

But like I mentioned as well, it's a significant time save for poorly geared players too.
Reply Quote
Blizzard confirms that Occupiers are virmin.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
03/07/2013 05:59 PMPosted by Kiero

How many virmen were in the row when you tried it? I didn't notice any time difference at all (for me it was actually slower) but maybe that's because it's only worth it when the row has 2-3 occupied plots or something.

I've encounter plot rows of 1-2 vermin so far. Even on the 1 occupied rows, it only takes me 2sec to kill off the remaining HP. Another 2sec to till the spot. Versus the 5-10sec to kill the full HP vermin. Like you pointed out, it's more noticeable with more occupied spots.

But like I mentioned as well, it's a significant time save for poorly geared players too.

You are probably fairly well geared. I can kill them from top health in about 5 seconds with this toon, but it takes much longer on my rogue that is in 450 or so items. It saves no time to have to hand turn them after using the plow, largely because it interrupts plowing both rows and leaves ones I have to go to and manually turn. Count travel time in that as well.

Even if you like it, things could be better.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
03/07/2013 12:07 PMPosted by Saraxia
Considering that the plow went over an entire Virmen, uprooting them and all that, a single additional click on the recently disturbed plot of dirt after the commotion is not unexpected.

While that might be realistic, I find that it negates much of the value of this "improvement" to the ranch.

Ditto. Though the blue seemed to be talking about it from a "realistic" RP point of view:

It makes putting it in the game totally worthless.

Its easier to just click on the all of the occupied plots, as I did before, kill them all and then plow after that. This change actually adds an EXTRA step, or several extra steps.

If I did this according to the blizzard fix, instead of simply clicking on occupied plots and easily fighting 3 vermin at once, then plowing:

I'd be plowing, then stopping, then attacking the vermin, then plowing again.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I know a bit off topic, but didn't they say that when you planted that the tangled roots, bugs, vermin, etc would not happen as often. When I planted all 16 plots had something to take care of. That is one of the reasons I stopped working my farm.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue

You are probably fairly well geared. I can kill them from top health in about 5 seconds with this toon, but it takes much longer on my rogue that is in 450 or so items. It saves no time to have to hand turn them after using the plow, largely because it interrupts plowing both rows and leaves ones I have to go to and manually turn. Count travel time in that as well.

Even if you like it, things could be better.

I'm not sure what to say. I also have a blood DK, ret paladin, boomkin, elem sham, and frost mage that are all undergeared (most not even 450 ilvl, though the Mage is a fresh 90, so no exalted yet) and I notice at least a little bit of a time save. Of course, I don't plow all rows at once, just one row at a time. After killing off the vermin, I manually till the plots if it's just 1 occupied and I use the plow again if it's 2 or more.

And yeah, I mean it would have been ideal if the plot would auto-till after killing the vermin, but it doesn't really affect me much. It just means I don't have to spend as much time fighting vermin, which then I would have had to till the land anyway before. I guess you can say that I don't care to look a gift horse in the mouth.
Edited by Kiero on 3/7/2013 7:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
There was a hotfix last night that fixed an issue where Occupied Soil would sometimes not update correctly after clearing the associated Squatting Virmen.

Hotfix must have not worked, I have 2 soils i cant do anything with now
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
There should really be a sound effect when you hit the vermin with the plow. A nice satisfying thump, or what have you.

Also they don't really look stunned as such, when they come out. They just look like they're wandering around, not-aggro'd.
Reply Quote
22 Gnome Warrior
03/07/2013 11:25 AMPosted by Rygarius
Considering that the plow went over an entire Virmen, uprooting them and all that, a single additional click on the recently disturbed plot of dirt after the commotion is not unexpected.

Except that you added an addtional, annoying step that wasn't there pre-patch. Furthermore, anyone with even a modest amount of gear and a DPS spec can burn theough a vermin with 100% health in the same tme or less as killing one at 30% then manually tilling the plot.

Just to make it clear:

PrePatch:
1. Kill all vermin infested plots at 100% in just a few globals each vermin.
2. Run the plow 4 times.

PostPatch:
1. Run the plow 4 times.
2. Kill all the vermin that pop out in a couple of globals per vermin.
3. Retill all the vermin infested plots.

Bottom line: No time saved and now MORE annoying.

I went back to doing it the pre-patch way.
Edited by Prattle on 3/7/2013 8:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I too have 2 patches of 'Occupied soil' that I cannot plant nor clear.

I plowed up the virmen, killed him, then re-plowed over the dirt -- the dirt did not change to tilled soil and is still displaying as Occupied.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The hotfix didn't work. I still have "Occupied Soil" and can't plow now till.

If you log out then back in, it'll fix it, but we shouldn't have to do that in the first place.
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Rogue
You just ran over a virmens nest with a massive plow, blew him out of the ground from said plow, and probably roll him around a bit.
The soil isn't going to be magically neat after that, plow or not. It makes sense you would have to fix that plot manually.

Also, I still think it is more efficient if you have many virmen in a few rows to just manually disturb them, kill them all at once, then plow. This change is good if you have A virmen or two in the same row.

The "massive plow" would not even be slowed down by a "vermin's nest" which is just a hole in the ground. The ground would actually be just as neat as the other ground is that was also massively plowed - no magic needed. The magic would be the ground somehow not being plowed after having a massive plow run over it and kicking up some vermin.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Poor little virmen! They look so pathetically hurt now when ran over by the plow. I feel bad doing them that way.
Luna the cat needs her "noms". ;)
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
There was a hotfix last night that fixed an issue where Occupied Soil would sometimes not update correctly after clearing the associated Squatting Virmen.

Still broken this morning.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
It is nice that plowing pops out the vermin with significant damage, but it has two flaws as implemented:

- You cannot easily gather up multiple vermin if they are in different rows as you could, even if they are close by.

- It leaves the spot with the vermin in it unplowed, so you have to either plow the whole line again or manually plow that spot. It would be nice if it converted it to plowed after you killed the vermin so it would be consistent with the rest of the plowed row.

when can't it just decapite the vermin ? =(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
03/07/2013 12:07 PMPosted by Saraxia

While that might be realistic, I find that it negates much of the value of this "improvement" to the ranch.

I second this because we are just gonna kill the vermin the way we always did..gather them all up..kill them and then plow it all. So it kinda makes the improvement useless. Although I will say I love the improvements to the farm, now if only I could harvest fish from my pond...... :D cheers!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
03/07/2013 11:25 AMPosted by Rygarius
It takes me less time to kill the full hp vermins than click through all occupied soils. Probably true for most people now that we outgear them considerably and it'll keep getting worse as we gain better gear. Your change does the opposite of what it's trying to accomplish. Silly mechanics.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]