Starting Healing Class (Newbie)

90 Pandaren Warrior
Ok I realize my title doesn't make much sense.

Basically, I'm new to the healing role in WoW.

I'm looking to roll either a Monk or a Druid and have been trying to research the two as much as possible.

My plan is to play casually and mainly only in LFR. So yes, the difficulty would be cake. I'm looking for a healing class that is relatively simple in terms of number of buttons to manage / cooldowns / timers / movement.

I see pros and cons in both monk / druids.

From looking at 5.2 changes, I'm noticing Monks require a lot of movement to heal well - mixing DPS and ranged healing can be confusing. Because not only are you managing the raid window healing people, but you're also concentrating on not standing in things (all healers do this) but you're also adding a 3rd aspect of following the mobs around and meleeing.

Druids seem like you need to manage timers of Hots on 24 targets....can be hard, no?

Do you suggest I skip druid / monk and try maybe a Paladin?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Hmm, it really (you're going to love this) depends.

I think MW and FW have a sharper learning curve than druids. Druid hot uptime management isn't going to be as difficult, and you have a bit more wiggle room, especially at the LFR level.

I'd probably play whichever one seems more appealing (maybe watch some vids of raiders from the POV of the healer) and see which ones you find more interesting and intuitive to play.
Edited by Naérdriel on 3/8/2013 10:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hmm, it really (you're going to love this) depends.

I think MW and FW have a sherper learning curve than druids. Druid hot uptime management isn't going to be as difficult, and you have a bit more wiggle room, especially at the LFR level.

I'd probably play whichever one seems more appealing (maybe watch some vids of raiders from the POV of the healer) and see which ones you find more interesting and intuitive to play.

omg im sorry for pointing this out, but when i read "sherper"... i had to stop and read it as "ermmherrgghherrdd sherpers!" like sharpies... but yeaaa if you dont get the first part, then please disregard
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Oh. God.

The typos! D:
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
No healing spec is objectively simpler than any other. All specs' abilities are completely learnable if you have th time and motivation and find them fun. All specs have abilities that will be frustrating and difficult if you don't like them or want to deal with them.

You should choose the spec that seems the most fun and interesting to you, not the one that seems simplest. You said yourself that you plan to play casually, mainly in LFR. So you're not going to put yourself in a position where you're stressed and need to play perfectly. Pick a fun spec and take your time learning it - you'll be happier in the end :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Thanks everyone.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
No problem! Check in from time to time. We're quite friendly here! I hope you find something you like.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh. God.

The typos! D:

sorry, i must not have been clear enough. i am not a grammar !@#$ (by any means).

basically there is a big internet meme and when you said "sherper", it reminded me of it and figured i'd post to it, in case someone else would get a laugh out of a small mistake

this is what the meme is based from. (in case it helps at all)
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwHvnGI8rxrYVj6fw6xYnJi02Cbz0qwwg-g7YBluS1tkCsNOqI
Edited by Jarshie on 3/8/2013 10:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
*facepalm*

I'm familiar with the meme.

I just didn't realize that it was so incredibly similar.

ommmmerrgggerrrd typppperrrs
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
We are not friendly here, there is a healing council of judgement and we will not hesitate to judge you if you ask dumb questions and swing the big hammers and gavels of doom.

honestly though i would try things out. monks have a bit of a learning curve like they said but if you want to do it, learn them. don't let the class intimidate you. it's a game. DO IT.

edit: apparently we can't spell either because we all have to fix our typos like I just did too
Edited by Ionne on 3/8/2013 12:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Typing errors and inability to do simple arithmatic is a sign of brilliance. I wiki'd it, so i tm ust be true.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Druid or paladin. Both straightforward toolkits. Also... Ehrmahgerd derr terrpeerrsss.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Starting out I'd recommend Druid over Monk. One less resource to manage.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Druid healing in a nutshell :

Moar hots... moar hots.. ok stop hots.. jk moar hots.
kkthxbai~ *instant flight form away*
Look at me I'm a bear! rawr!
Now i'm a cat! roar!
OoheeOhhee I'm a tree!
Moar hots!
Lazers! Pewpewpew *spams moonfire on random mobs in the group* lulz ... moar hots.

Basically druid healing, is trying to find ways to occupy yourself, because it's cake to keep hots rolling on everything all the time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]