Kanrethad Ebonlocke ((Green flame quest))

90 Orc Warlock
I have been haveing trouble with this boss for a long time now.
I understand it is suppost to be hard and thats alright...but he is way to hard to even kill
Few times now i finnaly braught him down to 20%,But then all of a sudden he despawned on me. So after a few more wipes i made little progress but of course, He despawned again around 20%. I dont know if its a glitch or im being trolled But no one else is haveing this issue at all. Blizz needs to nerf him down so that well geared people can kill him and his annoying Felhunter wave Which causes people to die a ton because they have the pit lord, fel hunters and the chaosbolt/cataclysm to worry about dureing this.

I also tried researching good strats which caused me to finnaly bring him to 20% or lower but you know the rest.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
what the site did you researching a good strats?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I used a copy and no gear changes when I did this on PTR and i'd swear that the imps hit a little harder now. Previously I could kill the imps without having to use any defensive cooldowns and now if i don't then they kill me no matter how hard I hit them.. This isn't going according to plan.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
So far I have had many, many attempts which were "semi" successful until:

The chaos bolt completely ignores the wall between us and hits me anyway.

The Pitlord's charge just fails to go off, even when I spam the button.

My Demonic Gateway glitches and becomes unclickable, or just disappears completely.

My Command Demon ability to Cauterize disappears from my bars. Poof, like maaaaaaagic.

Instead of appearing in the portal, the Fel Imps and/or Felhounds (much worse) spawn right at my feet.

I'm just gonna keep plugging away at it (mostly out of spite), but I'm really not a happy little clam right about now.

And am I really correct in assuming that Blizz had the gall to buff this guy between the PTR and live because he really wasn't obnoxious enough? Perhaps those development hours would have been better spent getting the bugs out of the fight first.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Done!!.. If you're doing this with a relatively low iLvL (Mine was i493) then use 2 chaos bolts only on each cataclysm stun are a requirement to beat enrage. Make sure your pit lord tanks the doom guards instead of having to deal with CC. Use the pit lord's healing ability. Mine was i493
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
My Command Demon ability to Cauterize disappears from my bars. Poof, like maaaaaaagic.

Felhunter does dispel your demonic teleport and Gateway, FYI
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Done!!.. If you're doing this with a relatively low iLvL (Mine was i493) then use 2 chaos bolts only on each cataclysm stun are a requirement to beat enrage. Make sure your pit lord tanks the doom guards instead of having to deal with CC. Use the pit lord's healing ability. Mine was i493

indeed, that's why i'm taking break and work on gear up a bit because right now FelHunter are bugged and way overtuned.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
@Hecklebury:

So far I have had many, many attempts which were "semi" successful until:

The chaos bolt completely ignores the wall between us and hits me anyway.

The Pitlord's charge just fails to go off, even when I spam the button.

My Demonic Gateway glitches and becomes unclickable, or just disappears completely.

Instead of appearing in the portal, the Fel Imps and/or Felhounds (much worse) spawn right at my feet.

I'm just gonna keep plugging away at it (mostly out of spite), but I'm really not a happy little clam right about now.

And am I really correct in assuming that Blizz had the gall to buff this guy between the PTR and live because he really wasn't obnoxious enough? Perhaps those development hours would have been better spent getting the bugs out of the fight first.

As annoying as it is to hear.. I'm going to reply to the specific reasons why those situations have occurred. thru trial and error i'v experienced them all.

1. The chaos bolt will strike you Unless you are out of line of sight At the moment the Ebonlocke's casting is complete. I fould seting focus on Ebon and using Quartz's addon to make his cast bar huge so i can't miss it was beneficial to enuse i was out of line of sight at the moment its cast helped.

2. The pit lord's charge fails to go off for 2 reasons. Either it is on cooldown because you used it or because the felhounds removed the enslave and he charged something and the pit lord used it(he seems to enjoy that when youre finishing off the felhounds and ebon starts Cataclysm) Or You were targeting something else and used it. For the preventable situation: You NEED to make a macro to ensure its success: /tar Kanrethad /cast charge.

3. Demonic gateway can be damaged by his rain of fire and other AoE abilities. You should stay away from your gateway when its not in use. The gateway is "click glitchy" and slightly unreliable so I started using the Gateway Attunement glyph and had vastly greater success with using the gateway in that fashion.

4. I'm not 100% certain of which ability you may be referring. You should be using singe magic as your "Command Demon" function. If youre referring to the siphon ability from the pit lord then just like with that charge ability, even if the graphic of it disappears, the ability is still there and if you make a macro to perform that ability then it will always work. when in doubt, make a macro.

5. Some of the imps will appear at your feet as a side effect of one of his spells not being dispelled. That function aside, ive not seen a glitch like that between PTR and live in the 100+ attemps i've performed so maybe you should submit a bug report.

My solice for this fight is knowing that the fight is hard for anyone. I would bet money that most people will not complete the fight for a long time so keep at it and you can be one of the few. :)
Edited by Lawkstar on 3/10/2013 7:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
Sorry, I meant to say Singe Magic, not Cauterize Master. But the ability usually disappears in the first 10 seconds of the fight, so I spend precious time resummoning my imp just to sacrifice it again, when I could be nuking the boss.

I did figure out that his rain of fire was affecting my demonic gateway, so I stay clear of it now unless I'm scampering over to use it. But that doesn't really explain why it suddenly despawns on some of the attempts. My gateway was also completely broken in MSV a few nights ago (unclickable), but then worked just fine in HoF. It's just glitchy, and I think Blizz knows it but they don't know how to fix it.

The imps that spawned at my feet were the fel imps, not the annoying one that appears if you fail to cleanse the dot off yourself. Same with the felpuppies. I've only had this happen 2 or 3 times so far, but some people are complaining that the pups have spawned in the floor and are invisible and impossible to kill.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
3. Demonic gateway can be damaged by his rain of fire and other AoE abilities. You should stay away from your gateway when its not in use. The gateway is "click glitchy" and slightly unreliable so I started using the Gateway Attunement glyph and had vastly greater success with using the gateway in that fashion.

really? I didn't know this part but sometime Felhunter can dispel that gateway and teleport port as well
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I completed this encounter after some experimentation without too much difficulty at a 498 ilevel, took about 2.5 hours.

A good tip is to let the pitlord tank all the damage for you so you don't have to worry about the chaos bolts. Drop threat with soulshatter and using your gateway at every possible chance to make sure the pitlord keeps threat. (If you do manage to get hit by a chaose bolt make sure you have sacrificial pact available so you don't die)

After the cataclysm right before the felhunter wave spawns tell your pitlord to move away from the centre of the room (as far as he can go) and this will prevent the felhunters from targeting him and freeing him from your enslave spell.

Also remember to walk through the pitlords fel flame spell to purge magic effects off you every chance you get.
Reply Quote
It feels as though they are taunting fans by adding the green fire then making it almost impossible to obtain it. The fight is SO bugged for me. They need to nerf this IMO.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
You have no right to complain about difficulty when most of your gear is unenchanted.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Killed it in 484 gear, took some attempts to learn the mechanics, but once I had the mechanics down and a good strategy, it was not that difficult.

I did not experience any bugs or anything during the encounter, so I'm sorry if glitches/whatnot are happening during your attempts.

There are a lot of good guides and suggestions on the lock forums now.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Downed him a few days ago in ilvl 480 gear. It wasn't easy but definitely doable.

Use your demonic gateway at the start to reset aggro, just keep using the gateway on cd, this helps in 2 ways. First the boss does not use chaos bolt and secondly doesn't put doom on you. NOTE after the first wave of imps the does put doom on you but if you use the gateway before he starts to cast chaos bolt it skips it.

At the end I got an additional wave of imps which i totally ignored to dps because of the tight enrage timer. I just put rain of fire on them and immolate on all which allowed to me get unlimited embers and spam shadowburn on the boss for the kill.

Also, to help with dps leave a few imps alive during each imp phase and when he starts to channel cataclysm, stun him and put havoc on him, then shadowburn the imps for massive dps.

Hope this helps. Good Luck :D
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Honestly I have found this fight incredibly frustrating. I am still working on it myself but only do it 1 hour a night as after an hour I find myself getting more aggravated and end up back sliding on my progress.

Tonight I managed to get him to the enrage 7 minutes without dying to anything else but the doom curse. I wish I had known ahead of time that you can actually take Purification Potions in with you to remove the curse of doom partway through the fight. This can give you the extra time you need to knock out the remainder of his health.

I am hoping to have this guy down in the coming days, but in the meantime, he is really a pain in the !@#. I don't know if Blizzard intended to make this such a difficult fight on purpose or if they just didn't get enough testing time in on PTR. But honestly, this fight is harder than it needs to be for a simple vanity item. Blizzard, please consider turning down the difficulty on this guy by a notch or two. This quest is excessively hard and the green fire reward is starting to feel like it is not worth it.

I have gone through gobs of gold on repair bills, consumables, and stress. This is just honestly stupid. Sorry I am venting now. I'll shut up and go to bed. Have a good night.
Reply Quote
EDIT: I start venting/ranting about half way down, Feel free to stop reading my nonsense when you notice I'm complaining (Unless your the type that get's laugh's out of player rage then please continue on :D), But as for the rest, a Decent amount of helpful (or my attempt at being helpful >.>) Information is there, Hope you kill that bastard kanrethad! :)

Lock's getting close to downing him but dying to curse of ultimate doom, Like Teribad said, Get purification potion's, Pop it when it has like a min left and your set, Sacrificial pact and twilight ward make's his chaos bolts do no damage at all, Resetting aggro with demonic gateway is very helpful but some people can manage without it, Have your pitlord tank the doom lord's, Iv'e seen a lot of locks are LOSing his chaosbolt's IMO complete waste of time dps wise and you also might end up forgetting which of the thousands mechanics is going on, Confusion is the worst thing that can happen to you in this fight, You have to execute everything nearly perfect, For felhunters, I stand right infront of the portal so they aggro me and not the pitlord, Bansih the first, Fear and havoc the second, target the 3rd and chaosbolt follow up with 2 conflags and that should be one down, Next finish off the second you feared and havoc (Should be easy, he should already have half hp left from your havoc chaos bolt) then unbanish the 3 and nuke him with whatever you can, Thats how i get through felhunter phase, Imp's if anyones still having trouble with that, Hide behind you pitlord when he starts summoning they should aggro him, otherwise reset aggro with demonic gateway, then shadowfury them( hopefully their stacked tightly) pitlord breath, rain of fire, fire and brimstone incinerate once or twice, they should be dead, and you should have full brimstone after that to do with as you please, Well most of the best strat's are already out there and easy to find (google, youtube) and already known by most locks anyways it seems, but theres's some of the things ive tried that work very well for me, give them a shot if your having trouble a try of 2 with them won't hurt, maybe youll adapt them into your own strat, My full strats basically a mash up of all the strats ive heard from others as it is lol just used more to my preference and play style, As for me i'm done with this BS xD It's not my gear (People have downed him in ilvl470 gear) and I have all the strats needed, My problem is I don't have the reaction time or the brain to deal with how much is going on, Leaving it impossible for someone like me, I raged on the forums so hard the first day trying to down him, Never been that pissed in a long time and i'm one of the people that usually don't get game rage, So where ever that post is of mine from before sorry for the immense rage post if you see it haha, Good luck to my fellow lock's! I retire! xD I only play a lock, Don't have time for multiple classes and I don't have fun with any others anyways, But Still slightly angry with this quest, I still believe it needs a nerf, But that doesn't matter to me anymore, I decided to quit WoW, Yes because of this quest being overtuned and raiding being brainless in comparison even on heroic, Iv'e never once messed up in a raid in my life but this I just can't do, Only came back to wow for my green fire in the first place I guess, Or that's what caused me to come back, Finding out wow was still boring and easy was disappointing, But I can't do it so there's now absolutely nothing keeping me here, Unless blizz decide's to make raiding interesting again, Spending hour's trying to down a boss with a bunch of guildies can be fun, But being stuck alone, On this boss, Wiping until you get it perfect, No loot involved, No achieve, Just a cosmetic affect that you'll probably get grief for from other player's anyways, No thanks, Iv'e spent 10k+ plus in repairs, No idea how much in consumable's, But it's retarded non the less, Done with WoW and awaiting ESO, Because out of all the BS blizzard pulls, Since i'm a lock, This nonsense was the final straw for me, Blizz never listen's to their player's and I'm hoping between zenimax and beth, They'll treat their player's better, Beth always has at least, And the elder scrolls series has always been my fav played them all, So peace out world of warcraft for the last time (I Hope), Never the less, I wish my fellow lock's all the luck I can and Still hope blizz nerf's this for some of the players that can't manage all the chaos.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
hard to read the above post. Paragraphs are always a good thing.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
I'm siding with you. This is far too frustrating for a cosmetic spell effect imo. The Dreadsteed quest wasn't this irritating... plus you could have a group lol.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Honestly i just dont think blizz cares at all. Druid forms get a graphic change, then they add new forms in glyphs but they cant give warlocks a minor glyph for the green fire? No they make it a quest chain that no one else has ever had to do.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]