Monk or Priest?

30 Night Elf Priest
Hey everyone, I'm aiming to level another alt and since I already have a PvE Healer, I'm looking for a class that is fun to heal with in PvP, but also has a good PvE dps offspec. I'm stuck between Priest and Monk. From your experiences, which do you prefer to heal with in PvP? MW Monk of Disc Priest? Is the dps offspec for that class fun or any good in PvE? Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Monk is King of RBG. Their mobility and aoe heals are insane when played right. Playing it right is the key though. Monk has a much higher skill cap than Disc atm. Disc is just bubble bubble. With monk, you need to throw Hots out on cd, and track who they are on for aoe healing. While in pvp you mostly single target heal, it is still something that must be played right to be effective.

Also, monks have a giant beam that says "HEY IM HEALING!" when they channel. Its like a giant arrow on their heads.

Play both, whichever you enjoy more play, all I'm saying is that MW is harder to play and is an acquired taste.

OS wise, WW is great Pve dps, and shadow is AMAZING in arenas and pve. Both are fantastic.
Edited by Cuddlebears on 3/7/2013 11:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I suppose for PvP it might come down to mobility and AoE healing. Catching a mistweaver can be very hard, especially between roll and Ring of Peace/Paralysis. Their single target healing is very susceptible to interrupts, but all of their AoE healing is mobile. Priests are kind of in the other direction for a large part.

PvE will come down to preferred playstyle. Ranged/melee? Do you prefer a huge swath of small incoming damage (priest)? Or do you like stable damage that occasionally feels very bursty (monk)? I personally have a blast with my monk. We're highly mobile, durable and resistant to damage spikes you can anticipate, and Rising Sun crits are just gorgeous to watch (220k... to the head!). On the other hand, watching long streams of DoT damage fly accross my screen as a priest is also pretty satisfying. Though it can lack a little 'oomph' on fights where something needs to die immediately.
Edited by Xailin on 3/7/2013 11:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
I'd say monk is the hardest healing class to do well with. Priests are probably somewhere in the middle. I have both at 90 and they're both a blast.

If you do end up with a priest, don't discount holy. People always underestimate the spec, and now that it also has focused will, it doesn't have a survivability disadvantage to disc like it used to. It's also a more fun spec than disc (in my opinion) and has better instant cast options.

Both have decent CC, but I think monk is better at really disrupting people with disarm, leg sweep/ring of peace, paralysis, spear hand strike, and zen meditation. Priests give you a bit more control of your heals and feel a bit less limited on their healing options. Both can put out decent offensive pressure in the right situation.

They're both extremely different classes though. I'd decide mostly based on whether you prefer melee or ranged (though most of your healing is going to be ranged as a PvP mistweaver anyway.)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
i would say monk because u just channel :P

Also, monks have a giant beam that says "HEY IM HEALING!" when they channel. Its like a giant arrow on their heads.
lol
Reply Quote
73 Human Monk
Hey everyone, I'm aiming to level another alt and since I already have a PvE Healer, I'm looking for a class that is fun to heal with in PvP, but also has a good PvE dps offspec. I'm stuck between Priest and Monk. From your experiences, which do you prefer to heal with in PvP? MW Monk of Disc Priest? Is the dps offspec for that class fun or any good in PvE? Thanks!

Speaking from my own 46th level Monk perspective, I find I'm enjoying Monk a lot more than I did my Disc Priest. On the downside, I have no quick heals. And perusing my spell book, it doesn't look like I'll ever get any. I can still bring someone from near zero to full if they're being attacked, but I have to work like hell to make it happen. (In fact, I just did that in my last BG.) With Disc Priest, it was easy. One Penance -- Foom! Foom! Foom! -- and even someone at the very brink of death was back to full. (But that doesn't happen at 90.)

For the upside, it's the mobility, baby! As I once pointed out elsewhere, it is expected among PvPers that healers stick with the Flag Carrier. And that expectation doesn't change no matter how unrealistic it is. For instance, if the FC is a Druid in Stag form, and they've managed to run out of your heal range, it's your fault. If they die because they didn't have a healer with them, the entire group will curse you to damnation. Despite the fact that Disc Priests have very limited options when it comes to movement enhancement, and only at the cost of survivability, you are expected to run with the Druids.

And it's also been my experience that Flag Carriers are openly contemptuous of any suggestions that they should actually wait for you and help you should you get attacked. A Druid FC once said to me. "My job is to get the flag from one end to the other, not be your butt-buddy."

So I said "Fine. Heal yourself. And if you pick up the flag again, I will not even try to heal you."

We lost that particular BG and I have no regrets. In my view, FCs need to realize that if they want heals, then there needs to be cooperation between healers and FC. They don't get to Dash and Stag form the entire length of a BG, then cry like infants because the healer couldn't keep up. FCs need to be reprogrammed.

While I still can't keep up with a Druid in Stag form, the movement enhancement means we are separated for a much shorter time. I find the loss of snap heals and heals that can be cast on the move in exchange for some greater mobility to be a good trade-off.
Reply Quote
73 Human Monk
If you do end up with a priest, don't discount holy. People always underestimate the spec, and now that it also has focused will, it doesn't have a survivability disadvantage to disc like it used to. It's also a more fun spec than disc (in my opinion) and has better instant cast options.

This. On my 90th level Holy Priest, I usually do my group Chakra, depending on which BG it is. A Lightspring on top of Holy Word: Sanctuary makes it possible for me to weather almost anything. While Priests tend to knock Sanctuary a lot for the mana cost, I can't dispute that it's a nice complement to the Lightspring.
Reply Quote
67 Undead Monk
"My job is to get the flag from one end to the other, not be your butt-buddy."

Any time somebody talks about "my job," you know they're a crappy teammate.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
[quote]On the downside, I have no quick heals. And perusing my spell book, it doesn't look like I'll ever get any. I can still bring someone from near zero to full if they're being attacked, but I have to work like hell to make it happen.

Once you master healing spheres you do not have to worry about channeling. I rarely channel and I normally fistweave even in raids. In pvp I turn health bars on and visually drop spheres where needed even on the run. If I channel it's only to use it to insta cast spells so I am in the channel far too short for most to interrupt anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
09/09/2013 02:39 AMPosted by Jesebard
On the downside, I have no quick heals.

On the contrary, MW do have the ability to throw out quick heals. If you're channeling soothing mist, surging mist and enveloping mistt both become instant. MW can put out huge burst healing when they want, but it can cost lots of mana.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]