Initial D .... errr.. Disc perceptions

90 Night Elf Priest
Kudos to you if you get the reference. Now onto the good stuff.

I switched to disc, moved my talent from the upgraded shadowfiend to PW: Solace. I took all the haste I had reforged off from my gear (for now).

So first I did my dailies in disc, and I'm getting around 25k dps pretty easily on single target elite mobs and 20k dps on normal stuff. It's a lot nicer than when I was in Holy for some reason.

Then I did my heroic as disc and it hit me. This must be the easiest healing style ever. I'm not sure if it's intuitive, but it was an easy transition. Did some heroics and got bored.

So it's LFR time, which is the biggest and beefiest thing I can sink my teeth into at this moment.

Honestly? Disc + DBM is a dream tream. I think without DBM I'd not have performed as efficiently. When I see the tanks are going to get face smashed, that's okay! Pain supression on the weaker (spikier) tank, shield on both and SS on both.

Most of my healing came from Atonement, but some came from Cascade and PoH. In general I fell into a really comfortable patern of

atone -> prepare tanks for damage -> consume ev stacks-> aoe healing via cascade, pom, poh -> atone heal

Rinse and repeat. The only tricky thing is the placement of single target spot heals when dps are ... being self destructive. Also, maintaining my stacks of evangelism is a little tricky, but not too bad at all.

I ended up doing around 30k hps in times of high dmg and low as 15k hps in times of low dmg. I find that my mana management is better, and that my over healing is much less (due to the nature of atonement). (Holy was around 22-40 depending, but wiht more overheals)

The flaws I noticed was that atonement healing is sort of the go to and it's really unfortunate when dps take unavoidable dmg and I couldnt' get to them in time. As it's been said before, once those health bars drop real low it's a challenge to rbing them back up. However, I was healing with a hpally, a holy priest, and a shammy so I had my bases covered there.

Comparitively, I find it a bit more mind numbing than holy. Holy was more pumping out big huge heals and seeing my mana go down down down and choosing the correct times for mana recovery skills. Holy was a lot more about managing CD's becuase my main healing was as great and easy going.

I'm now conflicted.

So there you go!
Edited by Naérdriel on 3/8/2013 4:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
I had a similar experience. I've been Holy since Cataclysm, but the Disc changes seemed interesting so I decided to switch to Disc a few days ago. I also switched to Solace instead of Mindbender.

I did a dungeon, and it was super easy, but I figured that it was mostly because I outgeared the heroic by a lot. Then I did LFR. I basically just spammed my Atonement spells for most of it, and switched to single target heals when needed, with Power Word: Shield on the tanks. I easily topped the meters while burning almost no mana, it was great. When I knew heavy damage was coming, I could pop Spirit Shell and do some nice preventative heals, but once the damage hit, I felt helpless, with Prayer of Healing being a bit lackluster. I miss Divine Hymn. I do know that LFR isn't exactly the best place to test how good you are, but Disc still felt pretty good.

All I need is a macro that would let me cast Penance on my target's target unless I hit a modifier and make it hit the target instead (or instead of the target's target, I could have it hit a focus target). I already have an awesome macro that combines Holy Fire/Power Word: solace and Smite on the button that hits my friendly target's hostile target.

I like Disc a lot, but I also like Holy a lot. I too am conflicted.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Oh I won't bother with macros. I have enough already. I usually just target the main tank and f target off him. I have targettarget frames to insure I'm hitting the right thing. I can see the apeal of macros but really, it takes me such a small amount of time to target off the tank.

I think holy, while being more mana eating, has some excellent raid wide damage recovery uses. And giving up that... power... it incredibly tough. Especially in LFR where you're running with people you don't neccesarily know. You just have to hope that they'll fill in that gap.
Reply Quote
Oh I won't bother with macros. I have enough already. I usually just target the main tank and f target off him. I have targettarget frames to insure I'm hitting the right thing. I can see the apeal of macros but really, it takes me such a small amount of time to target off the tank.

I think holy, while being more mana eating, has some excellent raid wide damage recovery uses. And giving up that... power... it incredibly tough. Especially in LFR where you're running with people you don't neccesarily know. You just have to hope that they'll fill in that gap.

Eh, Disc has so many abilities that it clutters up my bars, being able to combine Smite and Holy Fire definitely helps with that, plus I don't have to deal with retargeting and risking missing a heal on the tank if needed. With the macro, I can Smite/Holy Fire and then immediately PW:S the tank if I need to. But to each his own, I suppose.

I agree about Holy. Holy has excellent raid healing, and in Disc, I definitely miss Divine Hymn and Circle of Healing. But I guess Disc is still pretty strong. Too bad LFR people are so unreliable. I did LFR Terrace the other day and I topped healing meters by a ton on Tsulong, destroying the 3 Holy Priests. The fight is basically designed for Holy, if they were competent they should have done a huge amount of healing on the fight.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

Eh, Disc has so many abilities that it clutters up my bars, being able to combine Smite and Holy Fire definitely helps with that, plus I don't have to deal with retargeting and risking missing a heal on the tank if needed. With the macro, I can Smite/Holy Fire and then immediately PW:S the tank if I need to. But to each his own, I suppose.

I agree about Holy. Holy has excellent raid healing, and in Disc, I definitely miss Divine Hymn and Circle of Healing. But I guess Disc is still pretty strong. Too bad LFR people are so unreliable. I did LFR Terrace the other day and I topped healing meters by a ton on Tsulong, destroying the 3 Holy Priests. The fight is basically designed for Holy, if they were competent they should have done a huge amount of healing on the fight.

Really, I felt like I had way more room on my bar with disc. I guess it's preference then. I can totally relate to that. I have the 12 button mouse though, so I do fine with 1-12 and ctr 1-12.

Yeah, I've seen some REALLLLY terrible Hpriests. It makes me worry if the learning curve for mana management is too steep. That's the big hang up of the class. You can put out the big heals but if you OOM over and over with all your recovery on CD, you're kinda screwed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
ITS ONLY A EIGHT SIX!

i only came here for the reference :( back to the downhill, i go
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
ITS ONLY A EIGHT SIX!

i only came here for the reference :( back to the downhill, i go

<3 You're welcome here.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Good to hear your thoughts on Disc play. I agree with many of your observations.

Then I did my heroic as disc and it hit me. This must be the easiest healing style ever. I'm not sure if it's intuitive, but it was an easy transition. Did some heroics and got bored.

One reason I didn't like atonment was because it is so boring. But, when you are running heroics with an over-geared group that doesn't need heals beyond Renew as Holy, at least atonement is better than jumping around doing nothing.

03/08/2013 04:54 AMPosted by Naérdriel
atone -> prepare tanks for damage -> consume ev stacks-> aoe healing via cascade, pom, poh -> atone heal

Well, I have to say that you are doing better than me. I know that I'm more of a holy-disc priest when it comes to "prepare". I'd heal reactively if I can heal through it. If not, next time, I'll "prepare."

Good job, well done!

The flaws I noticed was that atonement healing is sort of the go to and it's really unfortunate when dps take unavoidable dmg and I couldnt' get to them in time. As it's been said before, once those health bars drop real low it's a challenge to rbing them back up. However, I was healing with a hpally, a holy priest, and a shammy so I had my bases covered there.

This is what I don't like about disc right now, especially with the crit-as-bubble change in 5.2. We are slow at filling health bars, single target or aoe. If there isn't enough damage to consume the DA bubble, crit is mostly wasted. And because how Atonement seeks the lowest health bar, sometimes forcing you to heal somebody who doesn't need to be healed at that moment. However, Atonment seems to be our stongest heals now, except when aoe spells are needed.

I was farming dino bones with guildies on the Isle last night. I was struggling a little with keeping the tank alive after the big dinosaur's aoe. Only the tank needs to be healed in that fight, for the big hits he gets. But, because everyone else's health bar is lower than the tank, I couldn't heal the tank via Atonement. I ended up spamming PoHs after the aoe just so dps/heal wouldn't be getting the Atonement heals later.

There is probably some adjusting even in Disc play. I used to be the one covering the tank in our raid, but I found myself hesitating to use Atonement, because it most likely will go to a dps while I need to top off the tank.

03/08/2013 05:30 AMPosted by Naérdriel

Before Atonement, I only had mouse-over macros for my keybinds. Now, I have macros for HF, Smite, and Penance too. In some fight, I need to target the tank, some need to target the boss. Macros just make it easier to accommodate both situations.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
DBM was a big help with preventitive healing. I had a buble happy holy priest who was putting the debuff on my tanks though, which was driving me nuts. I had to think ahead of her bone-headed ness by bubbling earlier for big damage. This obviously wont' be a problem in normal.

I have mouseovers and standard elvui frames right now, I might do the mouseovers but honestly I'm just so fast. I have a tank alt that helped get me into looking at targettarget so that I could taunt off so it's not too big of a push for me.

PoH seems to be the go to spam in those sitautions of high raid damage, but that's why you need a Shammy/Druid or gasp, Hpriest to make up that gap with some big blanket heals.

If I'm okay on mana I'll greater heal the tank while he's shielded and try and brind him up (from the borrowed time passive). Once the tanks aren't smashed inot the ground it becomes a lot more feasible to PoH spam by group, spot heal the weakest links, and Cascade the crap out of everything. Hell I love cascade in LFR because everyone is running around like an idiot.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
This is what I don't like about disc right now, especially with the crit-as-bubble change in 5.2. We are slow at filling health bars, single target or aoe. If there isn't enough damage to consume the DA bubble, crit is mostly wasted. And because how Atonement seeks the lowest health bar, sometimes forcing you to heal somebody who doesn't need to be healed at that moment. However, Atonment seems to be our stongest heals now, except when aoe spells are needed.

I was farming dino bones with guildies on the Isle last night. I was struggling a little with keeping the tank alive after the big dinosaur's aoe. Only the tank needs to be healed in that fight, for the big hits he gets. But, because everyone else's health bar is lower than the tank, I couldn't heal the tank via Atonement. I ended up spamming PoHs after the aoe just so dps/heal wouldn't be getting the Atonement heals later.

There is probably some adjusting even in Disc play. I used to be the one covering the tank in our raid, but I found myself hesitating to use Atonement, because it most likely will go to a dps while I need to top off the tank.

You know, I have been on the Isle of Giants several times now, and I've never experienced this. You even have better overall ilvl than I do, and I still do not recall having any trouble keeping the tank up after the AoE. Maybe the tank needed to pop CDs? And if the damage is too intense, of course you drop to direct Penance + Flash Heal/Greater Heal.

03/08/2013 05:30 AMPosted by Naérdriel

Before Atonement, I only had mouse-over macros for my keybinds. Now, I have macros for HF, Smite, and Penance too. In some fight, I need to target the tank, some need to target the boss. Macros just make it easier to accommodate both situations.

A healing mod would resolve this for you without extra macros.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Ugh @Tiriel
"You know, I have been on the Isle of Giants several times now, and I've never experienced this. You even have better overall ilvl than I do, and I still do not recall having any trouble keeping the tank up after the AoE. Maybe the tank needed to pop CDs? And if the damage is too intense, of course you drop to direct Penance + Flash Heal/Greater Heal."

They don't know where the buttons are! I cna't tell you how many hpallys and blood dks I've met that NEVER used a CD in lfr/heroics. Okay, I'm targeting you, I can SEE you're not using them. That's why they're there. You know, for you to use.

>.>
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I did the isle as holy and we were pulling 2 big dinos at a time. :3 Lolwell ftw.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
03/08/2013 09:06 AMPosted by Jesminia
You're kidding me, right? A decently geared (read: 490+) tank can solo the big dinos. :/
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I did the isle as holy and we were pulling 2 big dinos at a time. :3 Lolwell ftw.

Yeah, I find a lot of utility with teh lolzwell especially in the single target chakra. The Holy Word: Serenity in periods of high dmg in addition to the Serendipity procs I can usual keep a tank up pretty well.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
03/08/2013 09:35 AMPosted by Kangamooster
You're kidding me, right? A decently geared (read: 490+) tank can solo the big dinos. :/

My guess is that this tank is either not geared properly, or not playing effectively. Don't harp on someone, obviously they see it as an issue.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
You know, I have been on the Isle of Giants several times now, and I've never experienced this. You even have better overall ilvl than I do, and I still do not recall having any trouble keeping the tank up after the AoE. Maybe the tank needed to pop CDs? And if the damage is too intense, of course you drop to direct Penance + Flash Heal/Greater Heal.

When a new monk tank with 9 stacks of armor debuff... flash heal greater heal won't bring him back with 200K damage over 2 secs. And, he did this fancy run-about around the boss, and out of my healing range in the middle and came back with half of his life gone.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
When a new monk tank with 9 stacks of armor debuff... flash heal greater heal won't bring him back with 200K damage over 2 secs. And, he did this fancy run-about around the boss, and out of my healing range in the middle and came back with half of his life gone.
With literally zero gear, a Brewmaster with Shuffle and Elusive Brew up has over 50% avoidance.

The debuff can be avoided (two avoids=debuff falls off).

You figure out what the problem is.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
03/08/2013 10:26 AMPosted by Kangamooster
With literally zero gear, a Brewmaster with Shuffle and Elusive Brew up has over 50% avoidance.

You figure out what the problem is.

Why pick a fight, and bring someone onto the defensive when they didn't even ask for assistance?

If there's a problem you see, explain it.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
03/08/2013 09:14 AMPosted by Naérdriel
DBM was a big help with preventitive healing. I had a buble happy holy priest who was putting the debuff on my tanks though, which was driving me nuts.

Oh, that was a standard trick to try to bias the meters in your favour as Holy, back in Cata, not because you'd do tons of healing, but because the theory was that it would prevent the bubble-spamming Disc priest from getting healing #s in.

Of course, it also blew the Holy priest's healing #s, most of the time, lol... meanwhile I'd just shrug and grin evilly, and Pain Suppression/PW:B/PoH-spam for DA and still come in a strong first, even though back in Cata I normally used PW:S liberally.

inb4 meter-chasing, loLFR etc...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]