Advice on rolling a healing class

90 Blood Elf Warrior
Hello There.

I am leveling up my warrior with the goal of getting heirlooms to roll a healing class to level up. I have never played a healing class past level 20 back in WOTLK so my experience with them is very basic to none. What I am aiming for is a fun class to play with my focus being on PVE raiding. Looking for something that doesnt have a crazy rotation (due to my late night puff puff habit) and dont want to be causing crazy wipes.

Im more leaning towards a priest, pally (due to hybrid class more options if i get frustrated with healing), or maybe monk.

Any advice along with spec would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
all three healers you've mentioned have the most complex healing rotations and spell interactions in comparison to all healers (Holy Priest & Mistweaver Monks being the more complex and mana intensive).

Druids and Shamans are the more managable healers, while Druids are the easiest in terms of rotation.

Druid heals are also a good place to start out as a healer, due to their mobility and "set it and forget it" playstyle with HoTs.

Druids also have 3 other specs you can fiddle with, if fustrated with healing.
Shamans, too, have DPS specs but not a tanking spec as the Druid.
Edited by Cubchoo on 3/8/2013 10:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Priests, from experience, have probably the largest toolkit to use, and if you're high chances are you won't be able to react to it quick enough. Likewise with Mistweavers, you have to track Renewing Mists, time Uplifts, keep Mana Tea on cooldown and various other weavings of melee and ranged Healing. I can't speak on Paladins, but I'm assuming their toolkit is competitive to Priests, and are often placed as tank Healers (which requires focus, because if you start letting the tanks die ..)

I'd recommend Druids, because Shamans have a more to focus on with when to drop certain totems.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Most healers don't really have a rotation. I guess Monks might have one for Fistweaving, but otherwise healers have a priority system more than anything else. We have to choose the right tool for the incoming damage, essentially. With that in mind, even the most mechanically "simple" healer is going to be easy to understand, but hard to master. Personally I think that of the three classes, Priest is probably the most basic and fun, but I am a biased Priest. :)
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
if you're high chances are you won't be able to react to it quick enough

If you are high in general, you shouldn't be thinking about playing a role that requires a quick reaction time. Sorry, but healing requires you to be alert when raiding.
Edited by Jujubiju on 3/9/2013 10:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Haha.. Thanks for the advice all, and hey atleast im honest with my late night play style. Maybe a healing class isnt for me, because I just have never had any desire to play a druid. Not sure why, but it just doesnt do it for me.
Reply Quote
89 Tauren Druid
KA
Hello There.

I am leveling up my warrior with the goal of getting heirlooms to roll a healing class to level up. I have never played a healing class past level 20 back in WOTLK so my experience with them is very basic to none. What I am aiming for is a fun class to play with my focus being on PVE raiding. Looking for something that doesnt have a crazy rotation (due to my late night puff puff habit) and dont want to be causing crazy wipes.

Im more leaning towards a priest, pally (due to hybrid class more options if i get frustrated with healing), or maybe monk.

Any advice along with spec would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

Wait....so are you getting heirlooms for a healing class or DPS caster? Are you just spamming this on every board? Forget you posted it due to your...."late night puffing habit"? I say go shadow priest since you are looking for both....and my old advice applies too. It's a waste of time getting the JP for looms....just start playing the new class.
Edited by Miwok on 3/9/2013 2:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I would suggest a Holy Priest, Resto Shaman or Resto Druid. Their healing "rotations" are pretty straightforward and their actual spells don't require much setup since they're reactionary healers.

I don't suggest starting with a Holy Paladin due to the amount of cooldowns you'd be forced to handle right off the bat on top of the addition of an alternate resource.
Mistweavers also have an alternate resource to deal with.

To be played effectively, disc priests and mistweavers require a lot of pre-knowledge of fights to be optimal in their setups - For Priest: Optimal SS/Barrier use. For Monk: Getting Renewing Mists on as many targets as possible, Thunder Focus Tea use, Chi management for Uplift on high-damage anitcipation.
For someone new at healing you may not have a lot of knowledge on how the damage is going to go out on a fight just walking into it without some research... which is not "new" friendly. Proactive healers tend to be a bit more complex than reactionary healers.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Haha.. Thanks for the advice all, and hey atleast im honest with my late night play style. Maybe a healing class isnt for me, because I just have never had any desire to play a druid. Not sure why, but it just doesnt do it for me.

tbh i wasnt convinced about druids but started a few months ago & havent played any of my other characters since, from a pvp point of view they are so much fun, plenty of tricks in the bag to get yourself outta the crap, not really a class that you just stand & heal with, i have a priest healer that i leveled through wotlk & for me it was a lot less enjoyable than my druid
Reply Quote
03/09/2013 10:33 AMPosted by Jujubiju
if you're high chances are you won't be able to react to it quick enough

If you are high in general, you shouldn't be thinking about playing a role that requires a quick reaction time. Sorry, but healing requires you to be alert when raiding.

This but if you REALLY feel inclined to try healing, I would suggest shaman (as much as I love druids, I actually think proper hot maintenance can be intimidating for new healers). Shamans are versatile healers, and all the totems are utility and (imo) fun. If you decide not to heal elemental can even use near the same gear until you get to raiding. There's enhancement too of course, but you need different gear for that.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
People are going to flip out over this recommendation, but a stoner doesn't need to thinking about rotations durring a raid, just press the button and watch the pretty lights.

That being said you want a disc priest or a monk. Both of these classes can do resonable healing using a castsequence macro. Since they both use DPS abilities and smart heals you don't need to use targeted heals.

I use a macro mouse and some advanced in game macros, with one button I can often top the raid finder. Of course out side of raid finder you need to put a little more effort in, but heroics are no problem.

I'm not going in game to get my macros, but this is a quick example of a one button macro that will keep you high (get it) enough on the charts to avoid getting kicked and allow you to watch the pretty lights while you play.

/castsequence reset=combat holy fire,null
/castsequence reset=target smite,smite,smite,holy fire,whatever,whatever
/cast whatever cooldown you have
/cast whatever other cooldown you have
/use 13
/use 14
/startattack

Monk works the same way, put down your jade statue at the beginning of the fight and then just jab,blackout kick, mana tea, chi wave and what not.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
People are going to flip out over this recommendation, but a stoner doesn't need to thinking about rotations durring a raid, just press the button and watch the pretty lights.

That being said you want a disc priest or a monk. Both of these classes can do resonable healing using a castsequence macro. Since they both use DPS abilities and smart heals you don't need to use targeted heals.

I use a macro mouse and some advanced in game macros, with one button I can often top the raid finder. Of course out side of raid finder you need to put a little more effort in, but heroics are no problem.

I'm not going in game to get my macros, but this is a quick example of a one button macro that will keep you high (get it) enough on the charts to avoid getting kicked and allow you to watch the pretty lights while you play.

/castsequence reset=combat holy fire,null
/castsequence reset=target smite,smite,smite,holy fire,whatever,whatever
/cast whatever cooldown you have
/cast whatever other cooldown you have
/use 13
/use 14
/startattack

Monk works the same way, put down your jade statue at the beginning of the fight and then just jab,blackout kick, mana tea, chi wave and what not.

no, just no
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I know raiders who clear HMs stoned. Hell, I know people who write software stoned. But if you're not a highly functional smoker, you shouldn't be healing, period. (Except in LFR, where you can get by with "find keyboard; apply face".)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]