My DPS still feels a bit lacking...

90 Pandaren Monk
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but it seems that a lot of the time, my DPS isn't up to snuff compared to other WW Monks I come across, who can easily pulls 80K or more on a single target, while I get 40K - 50K usually. This is the same amount I got before I got all these LFR pieces yesterday!

I've made sure my Hit and Expertise are both at 7.5%, and while I'm trying to stack Haste, I can't get to 4K just yet it seems. My rotation is following the solid one I've read, so I'm not sure what else it could be.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
haste is too low, the soft cap for haste is roughly 6-7k now that we get less BoK and Tiger Palm proc's

Have a read at Elitist Jerks and maybe watch some PoV windwalkers vids
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
A big part of it is going to be haste. You have a lot of poorly itemized gear that's giving you excess crit. Haste should be your highest secondary until you're at the 5-7k mark (depending on your comfort level), but you have practically no gear with base haste on it so all of your haste comes from reforging. That's rough.

It's also possible a gameplay issue, but without seeing logs no one will be able to tell you if you're letting Tiger Palm drop off too much, you're haste capping, etc. etc.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It's not a case of letting my buffs drop, my Tiger's Palm and RSK are always up. My rotation seems fine, but I guess I just need to keep at trying to get Haste natural gear where I can, since I think it's the primary problem.

Well, I guess I'm not doing too terribly. I'm starting to get back up with 60K to 70K DPS now, but it's still not as stellar as I'm seeing with some other WW Monks.
Reply Quote
Skinning doesn't help you either tbh, Terror is a bad trinket try and get a bottle from MSV instead of any difficulty level. Two 1 handers from heroics will do wonders compared to your 2 hander as well.
Edited by Invection on 3/7/2013 9:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I'm trying to get the Haste up more, and so far I'm over 3K, so it's getting a bit better. But yeah, I need some more natural Haste, which I need to get from LFR gear.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
OK, so with some help of the WoW Reforge site, I've been able to get my Hit and Expertise very close to 7.5% each and my Haste just over 4K, but I still feel weak. I'm not sure what else to do gear-wise besides hope for the best next week in LFR and replace at least the Terror while also hoping to get 4 or 5 set, or maybe even get something from the first ToT LFR.

Confirm the rotation, just to be sure:

1. RSK on cooldown
2. TP to keep buff up
3. FoF on cooldown
4. BOK otherwise as Chi dump
5. EH to heal (if hurt) and generate Chi
6. Jab to generate Chi

And otherwise always use Tigereye Brew when at 10 stacks and always summon Xuen when it's up. Also use SEF against 2 or more targets.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Remember to only use FoF when you won't cap energy, RSK won't come off cooldown, and TP buff doesn't fall off. It's tricky to use right. Make sure to use chi wave whenever you can't do any of the above. It's a far higher part of our damage now than it might seem (I'm getting between 4-5% of my damage coming from Chi Wave now)

Common knowledge for optimizing our rotation is to have between 6-7k haste. I'm not so sure the average player benefits as much from that. Between ascension and 4kish haste, I can now fairly comfortably weave FoF into my rotation without violating the conditions of its use, and I only have a few open cooldowns. For the really good players who can play on pure reflex, more haste is great. I'm skeptical of its benefits that high up and prefer a somewhat more balanced approach to my stats.
Edited by Xailin on 3/8/2013 3:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Hmmm, maybe I'm using FoF too much then. I can try and be a bit more careful with it and try to use it in those conditions. I also exchanged Chi Burst for Chi Wave to use instead. Hopefully that might improve things. But for now, I can't reach 6K or 7K Haste, not until I get more ToT gear anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The general rule I've found for FoF is to always use it when these conditions are met:

It's off cooldown (obviously)
You do not have energy to Jab
Energizing Brew is not active
You have less than 2 Chi
Tiger Palm buff is not about to drop
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Didnt see this posted yet, but Weapons are a huge factor as well in our dmg
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The general rule I've found for FoF is to always use it when these conditions are met:

You have less than 2 Chi

basically yea

RSK debuff up
tiger palm up
UNDER 30 Energy
Amount of chi doesnt really matter ive noticed

bout the only rules, use it when you do not have to move/nothing else to do
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

You have less than 2 Chi

basically yea

RSK debuff up
tiger palm up
UNDER 30 Energy
Amount of chi doesnt really matter ive noticed

bout the only rules, use it when you do not have to move/nothing else to do
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Well the reason I say not to use it when you have Chi is all I really use it for is a source of damage while my energy comes back, and with 2 chi that's enough for a Blackout Kick, which one GCD is usually all I need to get the energy for one extra Jab+Kick, THEN FoF

All this is of course not accounting for the base 3 Chi already needed to use FoF
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
OK, so I've been using Chi Wave as much as I can and using FoF during the required moments where both RSK and TP are up and my energy is low, things are starting to improve but damn if I'm still not extremely stellar. I can't be sure what the other WW Monks are doing to be so damn high compared to me unless they're in Heroic raid gear.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

You have less than 2 Chi

I might be doing something wrong here, but how do you use FoF with less than 2 chi? o.O
Reply Quote
They weren't counting the chi you used for FoF.

Haste isn't your issue if you're using a 2hander as I previously stated, It's you're low mastery value if you're dead set on using a 2hander. Otherwise swap to 1 handers, softcap at a haste value you feel secure with and then engorge yourself on mastery while learning how to properly abuse TEB.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I think it is mainly because of your weapon.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
So the Polearm I have now is the problem? I do have two 1H weapons, one being the Sha-Touched weapon and the other a 463, but I figured I would wait to use those until I could get another Claws and the Legendary gems for them. If I were to switch to them now, though, would I see a remarkable increase?

Or what about Gao-Rei, the Sha-Touched staff? Would getting that improve things like DW, or would it still not be as good?
Edited by Changying on 3/9/2013 2:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
DW is always significantly better than 2 handers, if you have 1 sha touched weapon you should be using it even with a 463 offhand. It's not much of a contest between DW and 2hander, dw always wins with equivalent ilvl, and the gap only widens as you get better gear.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]