Short Story - Trying out a new character

90 Human Rogue
((I've decided to retire a whole cast of characters and do something completely different for a change, so I took one of my side characters and some of the things I had written for her and threw this together. Enjoy.))

If an SI:7 Operative wrote a memoir... It might go something like this...

My name is Lara Quinn and I work for Stormwind Intelligence. Well… Not officially… I suppose that’s a nice way of saying that if I screw up in the field, there’s nothing linking me to the agency and no chance of embarrassing the people who pay me. I know what you’re thinking… Lara, why in Light’s name would you want to work for an agency that’s going to let you rot in a dungeon somewhere and deny you exist while your captors pull your fingernails out one by one? Well what can I say? I’d be lying if I told you I didn’t enjoy the independence and hell… I’ve seen just about every part of Azeroth in my time with the agency.

When I was recruited, a man explained it like this: Our failures are known, but not our successes. If you’re looking for glory, SI:7 is not for you. You can make a lot of gold in your career, but most operatives never live long enough to enjoy it and even if they do, you don’t hear much about anyone being happily retired SI:7. Those who do make it to retirement usually have a drinking problem, more than a few scars to show for their service and usually suffer from paranoia. You can forget about marriage and kids, because you're not allowed to let anyone get that close and friends… Well the first thing any good operative learns is never to trust anyone.

So why do I do it? Well… In order to explain that, I should tell you that I happen to fit the profile for the perfect operative. I grew up in Grand Hamlet, the only daughter of a disabled first war veteran and a seamstress. My father had a drinking problem and blamed the world around him for the loss of his left arm, though he still threw a pretty good right and more than once, he took to beating my mother and I. My mother, Light bless her--she still loved him and every time he’d sober up and tell her how sorry he was, she’d forgive him and act as though nothing had happened.

I still remember the first time I thought it was a good idea to get between them during one of their fights. He’d been drinking all day at the Scarlet Raven and my mother didn’t have supper ready when he came through the door, so he knocked out two of her teeth. I was eleven at the time and I grabbed the closest thing to a weapon I could find—a broom. Needless to say, even a one-armed soldier didn’t have much trouble disarming an eleven year-old… When I finally woke up, it was at our closest neighbor’s cottage with four broken ribs, a broken jaw and to top it all off, I couldn’t see out of my right eye.

When you have all the trust beat out of you at such an early age, you begin to develop survival skills that most people lack. I learned to detach myself from emotions and when the time came for me to leave my family, I didn't look back. Dad drank himself to death at the age of forty-two and I lied about my age to join the Stormwind Army at sixteen. It seemed like an excellent idea at the time and it got me the hell out of Duskwood. Looking back, my reasons were about as misguided as I was. After my father nearly killed me, I made a promise to myself that I’d never be in another situation where I was unable to defend myself and let me tell you… Stormwind has some of the finest combat masters in all of Azeroth so by the time I was seventeen, I was pretty damn good with both my fists and a blade. I wasn’t as big or as strong as a lot of the others, but what I lacked in size, I made up for in stubborn will and a desire to learn as much as I possibly could.
Edited by Làra on 3/8/2013 3:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I took a liking to killing after my first battle and even my Sergeant seemed to think I was meant for something more than basic infantry. I discovered that it’s surprisingly easy to kill a person. We’re all made of flesh and bone. Humans, orcs, elves, trolls, dwarves and even gnomes--we’re all put together pretty much the same way and once you learn the ins and outs of anatomy, killing someone is pretty simple. There are certain bones that break more easily than others and it takes an insanely small amount of pressure to crush someone’s throat…

By the time I reached my twenties, I was so good at what I did that I was recruited by the Seventh Legion and served as part of an elite strike force. Looking back on things, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Seventh. Halford’s boys knew how to get things done and in just a couple years with them, I learned more than most people learn in a lifetime about warfare. It was around that time that I started learning how to put my skill with a rifle to the best possible use. My first target was an orc whose name I can’t tell you, but believe me when I say that he got what he deserved. I took the shot from just under a thousand yards and put a bullet through his left eye. I was aiming for just between them both, but sometimes the wind has a way of working against you when you're in a nest on the side of a mountain.

When I was twenty-four, I was badly wounded on Kalimdor, captured by the orcs and listed as killed in action by the Seventh. I spent six months living in a cage while the orcs tried time and again to get me to give them information on the Seventh, but I guess I was just too stubborn to die on them and in December of that year, I managed to escape when one of the guards decided to get a little too friendly. I killed him and a dozen others on my way to Ratchet.

After I reached an alliance outpost in Stranglethorn and let Halford and the boys know I was alive, I was approached by a man who worked for SI:7. He told me that maybe one in fifty soldiers could have endured what I did and still manage to escape. He said my potential was being wasted and that if I was willing to spend the next two years in training, I could do things for my Kingdom that really made a difference and get to see parts of Azeroth that most people only read about in books. He failed to mention a few important details, but I’d learn those later… I began learning my trade craft at twenty-five and by twenty-seven, I felt as though I was a different person entirely. I learned what the world we live in was really like and once your eyes have been opened to that, there really is no going back…

After my initial training, I was selected for a special project which I can't tell you the name of. The training was... Intense to say the least and while I can't really go into detail about the things we did, I can tell you that because of us, The Twilight's Hammer lost a lot of its most valuable people and I learned that in order to complete certain assignments, sometimes you have to set aside your personal honor and do what you have to do for the sake of your team.

I’ve done a lot of things I never thought I would--things that most people would never condone and never understand, but I did them because they had to be done for the sake of our Kingdom and someone had to do them. I’ve learned that right and wrong are entirely a matter of perception and that sometimes, one terrible act can prevent thousands. I’ve learned that I’m capable of doing things most people would hate themselves for and as terrible as they were, I can’t regret those things. I may not sleep very well these days, but I know that because of some of the things I’ve done, many lives were saved. Azeroth wouldn’t be the same if not for SI:7 and its operatives being willing to do the things others couldn’t live with.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Nice read. :D

I always been more of a fan of characters that had loving parents and had at least some happy moments in their life.
Edited by Sarîa on 3/8/2013 12:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I really enjoyed this! :)
Reply Quote
Very enjoyable, as usual. =D
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Very nicely done :]
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Thanks. I'll probably post a few more entries as I RP the character more.
Reply Quote
96 Human Warrior
I think that there should be a bit more explanation into how she became a murderbeast. The death of her father doesn't have the kind of impact on her character that makes it really mean something. I got the "won't ever be defenceless again" thing, but the problem is it doesn't really seem to matter later on.

She's too good at everything she does, and nothing fazes her. We should be seeing a lot more of her personal feelings, being that this is in the first person. If she's intentionally hiding them in this story, then fair enough, but it's a terrible missed opportunity to show that she's more than a one dimensional killer.

What I think would make it a bit more interesting if when she was captured, there was a bit more behind that. OK, she killed a 'friendly' orc when trying to escape, but that's it. There's nothing about how there could be parallels between that and her father, or anything like that to give her some more depth.

I don't think it's a bad character by any means, but there's very little here that makes it particularly compelling to me (besides her outfit of choice). There's nothing that really makes me care about her or anything she does. For me to be interested in the character beyond her outfit, I need to care about her. Right now she comes across as a fairly boring murdermachine.

edit: now she's dressed as a priest, so there's not even the boob window to make her interesting.
Edited by Mcsars on 3/8/2013 3:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
03/08/2013 03:46 PMPosted by Mcsars
I think that there should be a bit more explanation into how she became a murderbeast. The death of her father doesn't have the kind of impact on her character that makes it really mean something. I got the "won't ever be defenceless again" thing, but the problem is it doesn't really seem to matter later on.

This post wasn't meant to touch on everything. It's a short introduction.

She's too good at everything she does, and nothing fazes her. We should be seeing a lot more of her personal feelings, being that this is in the first person. If she's intentionally hiding them in this story, then fair enough, but it's a terrible missed opportunity to show that she's more than a one dimensional killer.

Again, this post is not meant to touch on that.

What I think would make it a bit more interesting if when she was captured, there was a bit more behind that. OK, she killed a 'friendly' orc when trying to escape, but that's it. There's nothing about how there could be parallels between that and her father, or anything like that to give her some more depth.

I do plan on posting that when/if I decide to share the whole backstory, but as it is written, it is not appropriate for the public forums and needs to be edited.

edit: now she's dressed as a priest, so there's not even the boob window to make her interesting.

Ah, but that's where the next story comes into play.
Reply Quote
96 Human Warrior
This post wasn't meant to touch on everything. It's a short introduction.

It's no excuse for the character to be boring.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]