how is MW in 5.2? not FW

90 Blood Elf Paladin
only creating a new thread as i could only find threads for fistweaving :/

i am getting my monk closer to level cap, only a few more to go! really enjoyed the changes, but wanted some input from people with 10m exp on them. i am not interested in fistweaving, so this is strictly about mw'ing side. im considering main changing to my monk.

so, input plox?
Edited by Jarshie on 3/8/2013 9:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Mistweaving has been significantly buffed in 5.2. More reliable Chi generation through Soothing Mist, cheaper Renewing Mist, we don't have to worry about having to dump our Chi into the T30 talents, and our mastery blooms on a nearby player after 30 seconds. All around buff to that. If anything, we just lost the ability to Jab for Chi while casting, which, if you're like me, you didn't really do all that much.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
They significantly slowed down Chi generation for mistweaving no matter how you slice it. This lowered the effectiveness and reliability of our aoe healing through Uplift.

The short answer is that you can still put through enough hps to be comparable to other healers so it's not going to hinder your ability to perform at that level in a raid. The biggest issue still left for monks is the gaps which were already present in 5.1 have been made more prevalent now in 5.2.

If HPS numbers are all you care about, then you'll be fine.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Superhero..... he asked how just MISTweaving was.... if you were jabbing for chi, that isn't mistweaving, that is a hybrid of mist and fist weaving.... which is exactly what blizzard was trying to get rid of (whether or not it was balanced)

Flat out Mistweaving (using soothing mists instead of jab) the chi generation has gone UP, not down. And while you can't run in and jab to spam uplift for aoe healing, you do have more chi to spare by not using it for level 30 talents (though those could stand to be buffed) which can go to more uplifts.

Mistweaving got buffed, fist weaving got buffed damage wise.... not sure healing wise..... but the hybrid version got nerfed.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I seem to be doing more healing on my Monk Fistweaving then I do Mistweaving for some reason I can't understand...or at least very close but while Fistweaving I'm also contributing 60+K DPS for a fight. Odd.
Reply Quote
I'm going to wager that a hybrid between fistweaving and mistweaving is exactly what they WANT us doing, just not the simplified 2-button version that was in play before.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I'm going to wager that a hybrid between fistweaving and mistweaving is exactly what they WANT us doing, just not the simplified 2-button version that was in play before.

They might want you to Mistweave when you have to, and when damage is lighter, go in to fistweave... but it seems pretty obvious they don't want you doing what alot of monks were doing, and mistweave in melee to abuse jab chi generation for aoe Uplift heals.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Superhero..... he asked how just MISTweaving was.... if you were jabbing for chi, that isn't mistweaving, that is a hybrid of mist and fist weaving.... which is exactly what blizzard was trying to get rid of (whether or not it was balanced)

Mistweaving before patch 5.2 WAS jabbing for chi in conjunction with uplift. If you weren't doing that in some form, then you weren't playing the class efficiently plain and simple. I'm not saying Jab Jab Uplift, but I'm saying that jab was part of your chi generation in 5.1 and now it's not part of the MISTWEAVING chi generation in 5.2. So again, no matter how you slice it, your chi generation has gone down.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/08/2013 12:28 PMPosted by Superhero

Mistweaving before patch 5.2 WAS jabbing for chi in conjunction with uplift. If you weren't doing that in some form, then you weren't playing the class efficiently plain and simple. I'm not saying Jab Jab Uplift, but I'm saying that jab was part of your chi generation in 5.1 and now it's not part of the MISTWEAVING chi generation in 5.2. So again, no matter how you slice it, your chi generation has gone down.

Mistweaving - the commonly accepted term for healing at range on a Monk. If you are healing at range, then by default, the only thing you might be Jabbing is an add that happens to be close to you. Otherwise, you are Jabbing nothing.

The OP's question is about healing at range - Mistweaving, in other words. Chi generation is better post 5.2 if you are Mistweaving - period. Building stacks of Mana Tea being better post 5.2, on the other hand, is debateable, since we lost one third of our Chi dumps that can be used at range. If you want to stay at range, then you must lean on passing around Enveloping Mists (or using sub-optimal Uplifts) as your primary sources of Mana Tea generation.

Riôt
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
@Riot

I disagree that mistweaving was commonly accepted to be an "at ranged" healer. You are a monk, you are meant to be in melee range. Boss mechanics treat you as a melee character. Mistweaving and fistweaving being different was a misnomer in 5.1 one because in order to play the class effectively, you needed to be doing both at the same time. If you were only sitting on the back line healing, you were only playing half the class (outside of certain boss fights). If you want to promote a sub par playstyle, then that's your choice but it doesn't change the fact that it's sub par.

The bottom line is this, if you want to heal at range, don't pick the MELEE CLASS healer. It's pretty straightforward and it's part of the effectiveness and the utility of the class to utilize melee abilities.

Now, in 5.2, you are still expected to do both mistweaving and fistweaving in a fight. The biggest difference is that you have to make the decision of when you mistweave and when to fistweave without the middle ground that was available in 5.1. It's a harder decision due to the consequences of playing it wrong, but once you learn the mechanics of both, you can provide both the DPS utility and the healing needed for the encounter. That's the idea, you play the class to the fullest. If two monk healers go out and each healing 100k hps or whatever for the fight but one also provides 30-40k DPS on top of that, which is playing their class to the fullest? That's what is happening right now because you are able to provide a decent chunk of DPS in a fight while still being that 100% healer by effectively utilizing fistweaving during low/mid damage periods or by benefiting from damage increase mechanics.

So, when people start screaming that Chi generation is better for "at ranged" mistweavers in 5.2 - period, it really doesn't mean anything because you are putting an artificial restriction on the definition of a mistweaver from 5.1. Just because you pressed Jab in 5.1 doesn't mean you weren't a mistweaver so removing Jab from the equation just to say that chi generation is better isn't a worthwhile argument.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
wow, good to see monks can still talk/complain about literally nothing.

lets save this for the monk forums, it needs the break inbetween RATE MY TRANSMOG and ROLL RULES!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk

lets save this for the monk forums, it needs the break inbetween RATE MY TRANSMOG and ROLL RULES!

Still infinitely more interesting than your holy pally needs DPS thread, that was so gdlk.

TL;DR 2 button rotation is still in, just one of the buttons is different now lol
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

IT's really only Superhero doing it.

Also, there's also the mountain of WW BROKEN threads.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

IT's really only Superhero doing it.

You been to the Monk forum the last few days? That's not really the case at all. Superhero's posts on the complaints about it are some of the few worth reading, I'll give you that.

I also have to agree with Superhero pre-5.1. You had to Jab because SM wasn't reliable enough as a Chi generator. Contrary to popular belief, Fistweaving was (and still is) more than using Jab, just like Mistweaving is more than using SoM. That's the whole reason SoM Chi gen was buffed after all, so traditional healers didn't "need" to do that, and each had the own specific and more reliable Chi source.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I just get annoyed that I feel like I can't use BoK or TP unless there's a Muscle Memory proc. And even then, I feel like it's taking more Chi to make Mana Tea (but this may be me being insane, too).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
+1 superhero's posts
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
I've healed the first four in ToT, working on megaera (10 man). While SM's chi gen has gone up, its still very RNG, and losing the ability to have jab as a way to get quick and somewhat mana efficient chi hurts a lot.

It's much more noticeable in some fights, megaera especially, when I'm channeling a SM before a rampage phase praying that I get at least 3 chi going into it. I re-talented into chi-brew for it, because I was so unlucky with SM chi gen.

I still enjoy monk healing, but being so dependant on RNG as a healer is very uncomfortable. I wouldn't enjoy being a main healer, but I like being the 3rd heal/dps roll. Also, when I focused tanks on Megaera, especially when 3rd breath hit, I basically ran myself oom spamming surging to get enough chi for an EM. If it were still 5.1 style I'd do a lot better on that fight, but what can ya do?
Reply Quote
96 Tauren Monk
The new playstyle is honestly preferable to the old one. Fistweaving is more meaningful and engaging, and healing is a bit more decision-based.

I could probably go on and on about it, but the fact of the matter is that the playstyle is still good and fairly effective in 5.2. You simply need to adjust your playstyle and play smarter than you had to last time so you don't waste mana.

Could things be adjusted to be better? Sure. Are things horrible right now? Not at all.
Edited by Mist on 3/9/2013 8:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
Mistweaving - the commonly accepted term for healing at range on a Monk. If you are healing at range, then by default, the only thing you might be Jabbing is an add that happens to be close to you. Otherwise, you are Jabbing nothing.

I'm sorry, but this is simply incorrect. In 5.1, if you weren't jabbing, you were playing less effectively for no reason at all.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Ranged healing as monk has definitely improved in the consistancy with which Chi is generated. I've felt a lot more comfortable so far this tier whenever I've had to utilize Soothing, compared to last tier.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]