I feel good about my fistweaver now!

I finally got to run my mistweaver through LFR to check out the new changes. It feels better than ever! 5.1 I did a ton of healing through just jab, tiger palm, and blackout. I would use my straight heal abilities when needed but felt like I was focusing all my energy on dpsing as best I could. With these changes, and especially the muscle memory addition, I'm using a ton more of my abilities more often and can definitely feel the shift between dpsing and straight healing.

I still keep up my TP and BoK buffs up 100% but now religious build up chi with renewing mists more often and soothing mists when I need to build up more than one. It feels good to pop jab whenever I want to use muscle memory and I hated myself when I accidentally jabbed twice in a row because I felt like I just wasted a proc. Now THAT is a good way to keep people from relying only on jab to build chi.

Watching the meters and seeing the differences between fights was also insightful. Fights where damage wasn't as heavy and I keep to more of my dpsing abilities for the smart heals, I saw great numbers in dps. One fight I pulled around 50K dps with still 32K hps, and my mana was still at half when the fight was over. Fights where damage was heavier and I did much more healing and used dps move to basically just keep up my buffs, I found myself at a little more than 70K hps and around 15K dps.

That makes me feel good. I had the ascendence talent because I felt like I needed the extra mana to keep myself afloat, but now I feel like power strikes will be more beneficial because I don't think it's a necessity to have that extra 15% now and the extra chi would be very useful at times.

I like how now I feel more catered to my situations. I can provide more healing or dps whenever I need to, it doesn't feel clunky, my numbers are satisfying in both regards, and my mana conservation feels better than ever! Reading patch notes had me terrified I wasn't going to be able to keep playing this character, but yay!
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
blizzard going to nerf it 10%
Reply Quote
I seriously cannot keep mana as a MW anymore. How do you do it? I run out of mana after 1-3 fights.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I seriously cannot keep mana as a MW anymore. How do you do it? I run out of mana after 1-3 fights.

Jab > Tiger Palm > Mana Tea

Thats the most mana efficient rotation fistweavers have. You can maintain Serpent's Zeal by casting a renewing mist every once in a while and using that extra chi for a blackout kick.

The extra mana from Ascension helps a bit with Muscle Memory and Mana Tea for mana conservation.
Reply Quote
03/08/2013 10:46 AMPosted by Bandino

Jab > Tiger Palm > Mana Tea

Thats the most mana efficient rotation fistweavers have. You can maintain Serpent's Zeal by casting a renewing mist every once in a while and using that extra chi for a blackout kick.

The extra mana from Ascension helps a bit with Muscle Memory and Mana Tea for mana conservation.

Tiger Palm just uses 1 Chi and each brew of mana tea is like...4? I think...where does your other 3 chi come from, and I use glyph of mana tea so I need 8 chi for each drink and I only get 1 for tiger palm which ends up just giving me half of what I spent on my initial jab as it gives me 4% back but I just used 8%. My tanks die waaaay too fast to just do that anyway, I am so lost with this class now. I came back to WoW to play Monk as I have been wanting the class since launch, and now it feels borked to heck and it's really frustrating me.
Reply Quote

It comes from a few different sources.
Our mana regen tools are:
Mana Tea (glyphed for speed purposes)
muscle memory (never waste a proc)
stacking spirit in gear
optionally a trinket

I do have a spirit trinket on cooldown that I use regularly in my rotation. However, you did point out a problem with mana tea being that you don't see how to build up the extra mana. Jab is now not your main chi-builder, as odd as that sounds. Your most cost-effective chi builders are renewing mists, surging mist (on proc), and soothing mist. A good way to build up a lot of chi more quickly is jab + renewing + soothing + surging. That alone should give you 4+ chi. I also swapped out my ascension talent (since my mana was feeling better) for power strikes. Now jab, soothing mists, and (crackling jade lightning I think it is) will generate an extra chi on a cooldown. You can rely on it because it shows up in your buffs when your next move will generate that extra chi. It does feel more like just an extra lucky bonus during longer fights, though.

Don't forget also, Spinning crane kick also procs muscle memory. During aoe fights that's very nearly free mana as it's cheap, does great dps and healing, procs muscle memory, and builds chi!

The biggest change to MW in 5.2 that will surely run you out of mana in a flash, is jab. You can't rely on it to build up your chi. Think of it as a single chi builder but you HAVE to you TP or BoK afterwards to not waste the muscle memory proc. So, two jabs in a row is a big no no!
Reply Quote
03/08/2013 01:18 PMPosted by Beifong

stacking spirit in gear
optionally a trinket

I do have a spirit trinket on cooldown that I use regularly in my rotation. However, you did point out a problem with mana tea being that you don't see how to build up the extra mana. Jab is now not your main chi-builder, as odd as that sounds. Your most cost-effective chi builders are renewing mists, surging mist (on proc), and soothing mist. A good way to build up a lot of chi more quickly is jab + renewing + soothing + surging. That alone should give you 4+ chi. I also swapped out my ascension talent (since my mana was feeling better) for power strikes. Now jab, soothing mists, and (crackling jade lightning I think it is) will generate an extra chi on a cooldown. You can rely on it because it shows up in your buffs when your next move will generate that extra chi. It does feel more like just an extra lucky bonus during longer fights, though.

Don't forget also, Spinning crane kick also procs muscle memory. During aoe fights that's very nearly free mana as it's cheap, does great dps and healing, procs muscle memory, and builds chi!

The biggest change to MW in 5.2 that will surely run you out of mana in a flash, is jab. You can't rely on it to build up your chi. Think of it as a single chi builder but you HAVE to you TP or BoK afterwards to not waste the muscle memory proc. So, two jabs in a row is a big no no!

Yeah I try most of these things, though stacking spirit is something I forgot to do, so good call on that. It may honestly be most of my problem, I just came away from 20 levels of DPSing so perhaps I forgot spirit. The thing is though, my tanks die so fast I can't actually do the things you're saying. Like within 2-4 seconds my tank is dead. Perhaps it's the levels I am at or the tanks I am playing with, but that is definitely how it goes. I barely have time even with roll to get up into the fight anymore. Used to be I could just use my channeled heal to keep him alive a sec and then double roll into fight, now he is dead so fast and my mana is gone. The last dungeon run I did, I had to choose between healing myself or an ally, as I was out of mana, and I chose him and I died. lol This class just feels so broken now and it's frustrating me. =\
Reply Quote
03/08/2013 01:33 PMPosted by Laitheris

stacking spirit in gear
optionally a trinket

Yeah I try most of these things, though stacking spirit is something I forgot to do, so good call on that. It may honestly be most of my problem, I just came away from 20 levels of DPSing so perhaps I forgot spirit. The thing is though, my tanks die so fast I can't actually do the things you're saying. Like within 2-4 seconds my tank is dead. Perhaps it's the levels I am at or the tanks I am playing with, but that is definitely how it goes. I barely have time even with roll to get up into the fight anymore. Used to be I could just use my channeled heal to keep him alive a sec and then double roll into fight, now he is dead so fast and my mana is gone. The last dungeon run I did, I had to choose between healing myself or an ally, as I was out of mana, and I chose him and I died. lol This class just feels so broken now and it's frustrating me. =\

Spirit is probably your biggest problem so far. Although, it sounds like you are lower level. I know when I first started doing heroic shado-pan monastery I couldn't heal the last boss until I got better gear. Maybe you'd benefit from taking a break from instances and doing some quests to get some proper spirit gear.
Reply Quote

Spirit is probably your biggest problem so far. Although, it sounds like you are lower level. I know when I first started doing heroic shado-pan monastery I couldn't heal the last boss until I got better gear. Maybe you'd benefit from taking a break from instances and doing some quests to get some proper spirit gear.

Yeah I might have to, i'm currently 83 btw, I don't wanna give up on Monk without a fight, I hear of some doing so well it's incredible, and then others like me cursing the numbers 5.2 I guess I will just take your advice and see where it takes me, thanks again.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

I still keep up my TP and BoK buffs up 100% but now religious build up chi with renewing mists more often and soothing mists when I need to build up more than one. It feels good to pop jab whenever I want to use muscle memory and I hated myself when I accidentally jabbed twice in a row because I felt like I just wasted a proc. Now THAT is a good way to keep people from relying only on jab to build chi.

I agree with you that the fistweaving 5.2 seems more powerful, but I also find that this buff comes with a cost...IMO. it forces the player into either fistweave or mistweave. After a few days of healing, I find that it is more difficult for me to switch between the two healing style. I think this has to do with the muscle memory buff. Because jab is so costly now, you always want to TP to get that 4% mana back. Maybe I just need more practice putting Jab->Tp->Jab->Tp into my rotation, but I kind of wish that Muscle memory buff can stack up for a few more charges (up to 3?) to make Jab->TP->Jab->TP less mandatory......
Edited by Azuroki on 3/8/2013 11:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
So, you aren't actually fistweaving?

Fist weaving uses primarily jab to generate chi, you tiger palm to spend chi , power strikes/expel harm nets extra chi for keeping up BoK's buff, and you use a two hander for heavier damage.

Please keep in mind, LFR can be done with 3-4 healers that have a brain for most fights.
Reply Quote
I, too, would like this change a lot more if Muscle Memory was able to stack to 2 or 3 as Azuroki and others have suggested. It still doesn't encourage Jab Jab Uplift because if you don't use it on TP/BoK you still don't get the mana back, but it's more forgiving for things like lagspikes and lets us shift our rotation around a bit more when supplementing Chi with Renewing/Surging/Power Strikes.

For example, we could Jab Jab BoK and still have 1 Muscle Memory stack left, then Renewing Mists (say it just came off CD) -> Tiger Palm. Still getting 4% back per Jab, but it grants some flexibility. Right now it's VERY unforgiving and rigid. I don't like losing 4% mana into the void with absolutely 0 benefit to me or my raid if for some reason I Jab twice, or do two SCK in a row.
Reply Quote
85 Human Monk

This is Laitheris, I took your advice and to wonderous results, thank you so much, my Monk is obviously 85 now and I have no problem with mana at all anymore, really appreciate it. Just wanted to come back and thank you for helping me. *bow*
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]