Issue with Pandaren Roleplay.

90 Human Paladin
So if the Pandaren language is all entirely based on "Om nom nom nom" shouldn't the guilds be <Om Nom Nom Nom> and <Om Nom Nom Nom Nom> and characters be named Omnom and NomnomOm?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
We don't exactly love it either, why Blizzard did this I will never know.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
I really hope they implement a believable language in the near future. It was funny for the first few weeks, but now...
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
I think it was just a fun thing on the beta that slipped into live.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I think it was just a fun thing on the beta that slipped into live.

Unfortunately, I have less faith in Blizzard than you do. xD I think that they just thought it was funny and that no one would care.

Those fools!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Their language is still more unique than mine.

;-;

Really though, I'm surprised they haven't done anything about it. It's probably used so infrequently that they notice and then forget within 5 minutes.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Their language is still more unique than mine.

;-;

haha <3
Reply Quote
I would imagine most Pandaren guilds would translate their organization names into Common/Orcish to be better understood by their new allies.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
These strangely-colored Furbolg are useful only for their admittedly delicious noodles. Mmmmm.
Reply Quote
48 Pandaren Monk
I have a food name. Does that make my toon more lore accurate?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
It's not exactly "omnomnom", it just sounds like that to someone who doesn't know the pandaren language, when two pandaren are speaking to one another. It looks like Pandaren is a very fast language and the uninitiated cannot exactly make sense of words and phrases just by the sound of it.

When they tell another race their name, they slow the sound down for the nonnative speakers to understand, or give you the Common translation of their name, if applicable.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
03/08/2013 02:38 PMPosted by Regnatia
It's not exactly "omnomnom", it just sounds like that to someone who doesn't know the pandaren language, when two pandaren are speaking to one another.

But it is "omnomnom". The sounds coming out of their mouth don't suddenly change when they reach another Pandaren's ear compared to a non-Pandaren's ear.

"Omnomnom" has meaning to them, but it's still the same sound to everyone.
Edited by Grev on 3/8/2013 2:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
That's the point. To another pandaren's ear, it sounds as a perfectly understandable sound. Excluding the artificial Horde/Alliance split that's there for gameplay reasons, the only characters that see "omnomnom" on the chat bubble are those that can't comprehend the intricacies of the language.

Remember the "chin chang, ling long" girl on youtube? Asian languages only -sounded- like that to her because she couldn't understand the complete range of sounds and how they combine to make something more complex than what is initially heard.

"omnomnom" isn't the exact sound a pandaren makes, nor the whole range of sounds it makes, just what your character -thinks- it makes.
Edited by Regnatia on 3/8/2013 2:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to say. We pretty much agree then, except for...

Asian languages only -sounded- like that to her because she couldn't understand the complete range of sounds and how they combine to make something more complex than what is initially heard.

I'm pretty sure she was just being intentionally obtuse and racist. I don't think that was a genuine misunderstanding on her part.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
... it's all greek to me.
Reply Quote
88 Human Warrior
i think you get a bit of a hint at what blizzard thought their language might be like in some of the names around pandaria, but with the fuzzy language filter in WoW, you feed in a database of junk words and it produces gibberish for those who don't understand the language. Omnomnom may have been a joke, but what if when Blizzard went to clean it up they wanted to feed in words that gave it the flavor of eastern languages, and realized that can too easily come across as:

03/08/2013 02:49 PMPosted by Regnatia
"chin chang, ling long"

With the baggage that sort of thing carries, and decided to hold off?
Edited by Lito on 3/8/2013 2:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
That's the point. To another pandaren's ear, it sounds as a perfectly understandable sound. Excluding the artificial Horde/Alliance split that's there for gameplay reasons, the only characters that see "omnomnom" on the chat bubble are those that can't comprehend the intricacies of the language.

Remember the "chin chang, ling long" girl on youtube? Asian languages only -sounded- like that to her because she couldn't understand the complete range of sounds and how they combine to make something more complex than what is initially heard.

"omnomnom" isn't the exact sound a pandaren makes, nor the whole range of sounds it makes, just what your character -thinks- it makes.

This doesn't hold at all.

Then ALL languages would be a repetition of sounds.

I think you touched on it, but only vaguely. If Blizzard made a language that was "Chinese-like" it'd be called racist before long. So they went the path of silliness, but it doesn't work for a language.

Again, names like "Chen" don't make sense because the language is "Om nomnom", now if Chen's name was "Farmer" and in Pandaren it was "Omnnomnom" it'd make sense it was translated to Common. But it wasn't. Chen means nothing in Common.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
I'm pretty sure she was just being intentionally obtuse and racist. I don't think that was a genuine misunderstanding on her part.

I'll take that back then. Still, I haven't seen anybody who can perfectly transcribe the sound of a foreign language they haven't learned. Maybe trained linguists or phonologists or otherwise trained people can, but I don't think a common person could.

... it's all greek to me.

I've had countless people say "Speak Greek to me please!", only to have them repeat what I said in a completely garbled way back at me. It's funny, even when they are honestly trying and not intentionally being obtuse.

If Blizzard made a language that was "Chinese-like" it'd be called racist before long.

While I'm defending "omnomnom", I agree with the general sentiment that Blizzard could have put a little bit more effort on making it a bit more complex.
Edited by Regnatia on 3/8/2013 3:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
See, then it sort of becomes, though, what the language could be if it strayed from conventional eastern languages and phonetics?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I've had countless people say "Speak Greek to me please!", only to have them repeat what I said in a completely garbled way back at me. It's funny, even when they are honestly trying and not intentionally being obtuse.

It takes people time to learn a language. This should not surprise you.

The first time I was told to say, "Wie viele Socken sind hier?" in German I'm pretty sure it was horribly off. Then I said it several more times and became familiar with the sounds.

It reminds me of when I was studying Korean and someone proudly informed me that Americans that spoke Korean, "had a cute accent because they couldn't say things properly." Of course this was stated in heavily accented English.

See, then it sort of becomes, though, what the language could be if it strayed from conventional eastern languages and phonetics?

I think if they used authentic Chinese characters but didn't make them words it might be okay. Dangerous, but so long as you could never get 'ching chang chong' it could work.
Edited by Kauthryn on 3/8/2013 3:03 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]