Issue with Pandaren Roleplay.

90 Night Elf Mage
I think if they used authentic Chinese characters but didn't make them words it might be okay. Dangerous, but so long as you could never get 'ching chang chong' it could work.

That could work - and would be interesting to see the characters themselves scrolling across the chat instead of the phonetics.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
It reminds me of when I was studying Korean and someone proudly informed me that Americans that spoke Korean, "had a cute accent because they couldn't say things properly." Of course this was stated in heavily accented English.

Makes me think of how in my work, heavily Asian-accented English is some of the most difficult to understand for me compared to other ESL accents.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
03/08/2013 03:02 PMPosted by Kauthryn
It takes people time to learn a language.

Exactly. We're all "newbs" to pandaren, even a few months in.

Now, if there was a gameplay element, where prolonged exposure to another racial language made your character see it a little less garbled as time passed, and after long exposure, even able to catch a few words or perfectly understand it or even speak after a long while.... well, I'd love that.
Reply Quote
88 Human Warrior
Accents aren't that cool. Everyone has one.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Well when I try to mimic the Asian accents I hear, my SO tells me I am terrible even at that. I guess it's an entirely different way of using the mouth to produce different sounds.
Edited by Kesi on 3/8/2013 3:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Exactly. We're all "newbs" to pandaren, even a few months in.

Now, if there was a gameplay element, where prolonged exposure to another racial language made your character see it a little less garbled as time passed, and after long exposure, even able to catch a few words or perfectly understand it or even speak after a long while.... well, I'd love that.

Again, the issue is that we don't hear Draenei as only "xaga xaga xaga xaga" or Orcish as "zug zug zug zug".

We can hear sounds, we can distinguish words or phrases.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
My friend actually made a Pandaren language by editing the tongues languages.lua file. Just used random chinese words, english characters and all. Ended up being really cool.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I think what happened is it was too hard for Blizzard to create a fake language with pandaren-esque words without implementing actual chinese / japanese ones. Like, even if they made up some gibberish sentences like "Shin jin su sama" or something like that, it probably still means something in an actual asian language. That's my thought.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
We can hear sounds, we can distinguish words or phrases.

I'm going to go with "Pandaren maybe is a much more complex and hard to listen to language than Orcish".

Now, Draenei... I'd not say Draenei is simpler than Pandaren; in fact, under my theory, Draenei should be even more incomprehensible. You have me there.
Reply Quote
88 Human Warrior
Well when I try to mimic the Asian accents I hear, my SO tells me I am terrible even at that. I guess it's an entirely different way of using the mouth to produce different sounds.

Yeah it kind of is, and one of the factors in forming accents is the set of sounds your brain accustoms itself to hearing and producing. Some sounds are easy for a language learner to pick up, but others, those big "tells" for accent along with more subtle ones are obviously a lot trickier. Sooo armchair only here, but I think it's interesting stuff. In another more attactive and popular life I might have been a linguist.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I find it all fascinating as well. I would have loved to pursue more studies in anthropology too.

I know not really on topic, but sort of related to some of what is being discussed as analogy.

I still do hear a lot of different sounds and nuances in a language I can't understand, I suspect what Blizz did had no serious thought put into it truly being a language for Pandaren.
Edited by Kesi on 3/8/2013 3:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
88 Human Warrior
this thread did get me wondering about how much of the lossy filtered language in wow might be reversed using basic cryptanalyitic techniques. frequency analysis in terms of letters and words in particular. i'd have to look into the implementation a bit...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
this thread did get me wondering about how much of the lossy filtered language in wow might be reversed using basic cryptanalyitic techniques. frequency analysis in terms of letters and words in particular. i'd have to look into the implementation a bit...

Well, I know there are some words that always translate in a certain way. I see a lot of U LOSE and a few other not-to-be-mentioned words during PvP fights, usually in /yell.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I have been impressed with the Pandaren accents. Despite the fact everyone is some kind of angry daimyo, the accent itself is not racist.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I have been impressed with the Pandaren accents. Despite the fact everyone is some kind of angry daimyo, the accent itself is not racist.

I agree with you, the accent was well done. It stands out as an accent but not insulting in any way.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage

Wait... everyone is an angry daimyo?

*Deletes newly made pandaren warrior*

Well there goes that plan...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

The mogu will order their charge like, "WAREWARE 'TTE IKU ZO!"
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage

The mogu will order their charge like, "WAREWARE 'TTE IKU ZO!"

Oh... Mogu...

DAMN IT.

Oh, as for the accent... I did laugh a bit during Mogu'shan Palace when one of the warlords speaks. I believe he says something like 'You will not sully the great legacy of our people.' But I remember it, early on (seems to have changed recently - as in was softened) to have come out as 'You will not sully the great regacy of our people.' I had to pause when I heard that and said out loud 'Really, Blizz? Really?'
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
YOO SURRY DEH GREHT REGACY OF OUAH PEOPUH

If he hadn't shouted the line it might not have been as bad, but neither would it be nearly as hysterical.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
YOO SURRY DEH GREHT REGACY OF OUAH PEOPUH

If he hadn't shouted the line it might not have been as bad, but neither would it be nearly as hysterical.

I don't know why, but if it had been a pandaren whose accent had gone that way it would have annoyed me.

When a mogu's accent does that it's wonderful.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]