Havoc @ focus then Shadowburn @ target

91 Troll Warlock
Req
Hello all, I have a question about a certain way to make a macro, or if it's even possible to make it this way.

I'm trying to figure out how to make a macro to cast "Havoc" on my current focus, then cast "Shadowburn." Which I was pretty much able to make, BUT i have a couple of problems with it.

1. When I have my target as a focus (if it happens by some chance) the macro just stops at "Havoc"

2. Whenever the items or previous spells have been used, it tries to use them again, and cannot move forward from that through to "Havoc," let alone "Shadowburn". I'm wondering if there's a way to bypass an item if it's on CD as well.

basically my macro looks like this

#showtooltip Shadowburn
/stopcasting
/use Dreadful Gladiator's Badge of Dominance
/cast Dark Soul: Instability
/cast [@focus,exists] Havoc
/cast [@target,nomod] Shadowburn

Thank you for any help in advance.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
1. Can't check if your target is the same as your focus. You can check whether you have a focus, whether it's an enemy or a friend and so on but that's about it.

2. You have two spells twiggering the gcd. Havoc and Shadowburn. Only one can cast per gcd.
So it casts havoc if you have a focus and never attempts to cast Shadowburn. If there is no focus, it will cast shadowburn. There is no way to bypass an item on a CD if it triggers the gcd. It will happen for your trinket and for your Dark Soul as they are off the gcd, but not for the rest. You can't use castsequence either as you can't switch targets mid sequence.

This is how I'd write it:

#showtooltip Shadowburn
/stopcasting
/cast [mod] Shadowburn; [@focus,exists][] Havoc

Meaning if you are pressing any of the modifier keys it casts shadowburn on your target. Otherwise if you're not pressing a modifier, it'll check if you have a focus and cast havoc on it. If you don't have a focus, it'll just cast havoc on your target.

www.macroexplain.com
Reply Quote
91 Troll Warlock
Req
1. Can't check if your target is the same as your focus. You can check whether you have a focus, whether it's an enemy or a friend and so on but that's about it.

2. You have two spells twiggering the gcd. Havoc and Shadowburn. Only one can cast per gcd.
So it casts havoc if you have a focus and never attempts to cast Shadowburn. If there is no focus, it will cast shadowburn. There is no way to bypass an item on a CD if it triggers the gcd. It will happen for your trinket and for your Dark Soul as they are off the gcd, but not for the rest. You can't use castsequence either as you can't switch targets mid sequence.

This is how I'd write it:

#showtooltip Shadowburn
/stopcasting
/cast [mod] Shadowburn; [@focus,exists][] Havoc

Meaning if you are pressing any of the modifier keys it casts shadowburn on your target. Otherwise if you're not pressing a modifier, it'll check if you have a focus and cast havoc on it. If you don't have a focus, it'll just cast havoc on your target.

www.macroexplain.com

I thank you for your time to explain, and for the site to help as well.

I understand that it's one per gcd, but is there no way to sequence them? Also, is there no way to say that if the target is the same as focus, use "Shadowburn"?

I have tried the macro that you provided, but the button i use for this is caps, and even though caps and shift are right next to each other, it's uncomfortable for me to use it with a mod.

I could use a different button, but before i go and change my play style, i want to try to exhaust any possibility to find the macro for the current scheme.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Here's a list of macro conditions:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Macro_conditionals
and you can check them on a specific target like focus or target or targettarget. But you cannot say if my target = my focus then cast this or that.

As for castsequence, you can do

/castsequence Havoc, Shadowburn

which will cast in two presses first havoc, then shadowburn on your target.
But because you can't switch targets mid sequence, you cannot have it cast havoc on focus, and then sequence it to cast shadowburn on target on the second press.
So yeah I see no other way to write it really.

To help you out with modifiers though, you can use external programs to remap your keyboard keys for better access. For example you want to use caps lock as a key for something (I suspect you're already remapping if you're doing this). Then move shift elsewhere on your keyboard. Common solution is people remap modifier keys to their mouse keys. So say mouse button 4 is shift, mouse button 5 is alt (if you have extra keys on your mouse that is). That way you do not have to contort your left hand to try and press them together.
Reply Quote
91 Troll Warlock
Req
Ahh I see.

I thank you once again. I will try to look for a way to remap the mouse key. Thank you once more

I also tried something different. At macroexplain.com it explains as following, though it doesn't quite work that way

"If the unit saved as your focus target exists and is not dead then:
Cast Havoc? on the unit saved as your focus target

Else, if the currently targeted unit exists then:
Cast Shadowburn on the currently targeted unit "

#showtooltip Shadowburn
/stopcasting
/cast [@focus,exists,nodead]Havoc;[@target,exists]Shadowburn
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Yeah that will check if you have a focus and if you do it'll cast Havoc on target. It won't cast both though cause if focus exists, it'll keep trying to recast Havoc.
Also it's not recognizing havoc as a spell though so I'm not sure what that's about. Is that a new spell added recently or something? Or maybe it cannot be cast other than on yourself?

When you say it doesn't quite work that way, what happens?

I'll check the thread later, gotta head out atm.
Reply Quote
91 Troll Warlock
Req
What happens is that if I have an NPC focused and another targeted, it will cast "Havoc" on the focused target, but it will not go on to execute "Shadowburn." Also if my target is the focus, it will cast "Havoc," but not "Shadowburn."

I have to head out as well. ttyl
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
It cannot cast both. First, that would require two presses. But as I said, since you're checking for focus first, and in case you have it, that part of the macro always returns true and upon each press it keeps trying to cast havoc as you keep having a focus. It'll never cast Shadowburn. That's why in the original macro I put Shadowburn on a modifier. So you can force it to cast Shadowburn even when you have focus but you want to cast Shadowburn instead.
Edited by Sedivy on 3/8/2013 11:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
91 Troll Warlock
Req
It's fine if I press the button twice. This is the usual scenario anyhow.

Would i be able to make the focus a mod and leave "Shadowburn" a normal key press?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Hmm. Ok you have two spells Havoc and Shadowburn. You want to be able to cast on focus if you press a modifier otherwise on target. For Havoc? For Shadowburn? If yes for either one, how will the macro know to cast havoc on focus vs shadowburn on focus? That's why I originally put shadowburn on modifier.

I mean you can do this:

/castsequence [mod,@focus,harm,nodead] Havoc, Shadowburn; Havoc, Shadowburn

which would on first press cast havoc and on second shadowburn. But they would both go on the same target. If you were to press mod, they would both go on your focus. If you press mod for one press it'll cast havoc on focus and if you let go after, it'll cast havoc on target.

Say step by step what you want the macro to do and how. How you want it to distinguish between havoc and shadowburn and which to cast when and on what.
Reply Quote
91 Troll Warlock
Req
Ahh i see. Thank you very much! That DOES help. =3
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]