Resto PvP stat priority

90 Troll Druid
I've been reforging to mastery and gemming pure resilience. I see some other Resto's reforging to haste and occasionally to crit. Did the priority change with 5.2 or something?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Oooo this is complicated. (My other spec is PvE resto).

If you want to unlock your full resto potential, you have to look into haste breakpoints. The primary gain we get from haste is that it adds ticks to our HoTs, and of course druids are very dependent on their HoTs.

There are certain breakpoints at which haste gives you one additional tick on one of your heals. If you add a little more haste above the breakpoint it doesn't matter, until you reach the next breakpoint. Then you get an additional tick on one of your other spells. And so on.

How many breakpoints you wish to gem/reforge for is somewhat a matter of taste, but in general you should decide which breakpoint you wish to aim for, reforge and gem until you reach it, then use the rest of your slots to increase your mastery.

Here's a site that breaks it down for you. There are plenty of others too. I don't know if these thresholds have changed with 5.2, someone else may post that they have in which case you'll have to wait a couple weeks for the charts to get updated.

http://theincbear.com/math/resto-haste-breakpoints

Complicated? It gets even more complicated when you consider that you have procs that add additional haste, such as windsong or lifebloom. Then you have to consider how much additional healing you'll get when your haste buffs proc. You can get rather insane with the math if you want to.

If you want to keep it simple, just aim for 916 haste, which will increase the effectiveness of rejuvenation by 25%. After that reforge/gem for mastery.

Don't know why restos are reforging to crit. But I'm not the world's greatest tree, just an OK one.

Happy gemming!
Edited by Hibernator on 3/8/2013 10:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
which will increase the effectiveness of rejuvenation by 25%. After that reforge/gem for mastery.

Does it increase the effectiveness of life bloom too by 25%? and rejuv HoT?

I see alot of pvp druids going all out on mastery... Is it possible to compare mastery and haste? would be interesting.
Edited by Natureswrath on 3/9/2013 12:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
crit even helps with HoTs, which is interesting.. but I wouldn't make it a priority over mastery or haste.

Also most pvp druids tend to go for +int/res gems over +spirit/res gems, since are mana regen is often already good. I've been seeing alot of 2dps teams in 2v2, it makes me desire short-term stats more, over a long-term stat like spirit.
Edited by Natureswrath on 3/9/2013 12:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

Does it increase the effectiveness of life bloom too by 25%? and rejuv HoT?

You gotta read the chart my friend (the link is in my post above).

Each of those spells has a different haste breakpoint, it depends on what buffs you have on you, etc. If you have a crap ton of haste you actually get two extra ticks, not one. Extra ticks don't matter so much in lifebloom since one would tend to refresh it before it runs out to maintain the three stacks.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
[quote]
Extra ticks don't matter so much in lifebloom since one would tend to refresh it before it runs out to maintain the three stacks.

Good point.. I totally missed that. I'm not so sure I want to invest so much stats in something that isn't helping my lifebloom - considering I use the lifebloom glyphe.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
If you're trying to keep it simple, just go intel > spirit > mastery and forget about haste then.

Pandaria heroics are the easiest thing in the world to heal, I'm behind an entire tier of gear and I have zero issues.
Reply Quote
57 Troll Hunter
Ive read that the first breakpoint to aim for is 3043 haste. Is that correct? Something to aim for in pvp? Or just something to aim for in pve?

I see that number tossed around a lot so i assume that is the first point at which most, or all, of our hots get an extra tick. Right?

I know a link explaining haste breakpoints is in the thread but my phone doesn't like to copy/paste text from blizz forums (thinks i am trying to save a pic or something). So i cant really check it out :(

Still new to resto (toon hit 90 like 2weeks ago) so i am definitely not a pro, but i have been gearing this way: my comfy spirit lvl is around 4.5k, 3043 haste, and then all mastery. Gem-wise : int/pvp pwr in red, pvp pwr/resil in blue, and resil or pwr/resil in yellow.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
GUYS

What do you think of picking the PvP trickets that have mastery, over the ones with spirit?

When looking at the top PvP resto druids, I always see them reforge into mastery, why not get a ton of mastery from the trickets?
Edited by Natureswrath on 3/12/2013 1:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you're trying to keep it simple, just go intel > spirit > mastery and forget about haste then.

Pandaria heroics are the easiest thing in the world to heal, I'm behind an entire tier of gear and I have zero issues.

What about PvP power? Should pvp power gems take priority over intel?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
GUYS

What do you think of picking the PvP trickets that have mastery, over the ones with spirit?

When looking at the top PvP resto druids, I always see them reforge into mastery, why not get a ton of mastery from the trickets?

BUMP
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
You want resilience in every single slot for any kind of serious PvP. None of the socket bonuses are worth losing resilience over in the state of the game right now (burst). You want the spirit trinket. More spirit > more mastery for PvP healing.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I don't believe that this particular question has an easy answer and most likely it's one you'll have to answer for yourself own based upon your play style and the experiences you've had.

If you feel like your mana regen has been sufficient to get you through most pvp encounters until you can drink up, adding more spirit may not be your best option.

However... if you often find yourself running about offering bandaids and well wishes to your teammates because you're OOM... spirit is your friend.

You want resilience in every single slot for any kind of serious PvP. None of the socket bonuses are worth losing resilience over in the state of the game right now (burst).

While I have not gone so far as to forego socket bonuses (yet)... I agree that resilience is currently much more important than many optimizer sites are indicating.

Spirit Form awaiting ressurection:
  • Healing/sec - 0
  • Mana Regen - 0
  • Usefulness to team - minimal (cheering sometimes helps)

Just my $.02.

Although... people rarely ask me about running a resto druid & I don't live on top of a mountain, so I may be overestimating the value of my opinion. :)
Edited by Dunedain on 3/21/2013 12:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]