How about that increased chance?

90 Night Elf Warrior
I was lucky early on in MOP's life cycle and without doing any dailies was at a 460 ilevel within a month of playing and had all but 3-4 slots with epics within another few weeks. But then I went several months without really anything.

My 2nd Elegon attempt, Starshatter dropped, but I could not loot it because I'd already killed him that week and mistakenly forgot about it. No big deal, it would drop again soon enough I assumed, it ended up taking me almost 40 Elegon runs to see Starshatter drop, but the day of 5.2's patch I used a coin and it popped for me.

I've now gotten about 6 drops in the last few days from LFR, most of them I can''t use but it's still evident the loot rate has been increased in my anecdotal experience. I've got one coin left this week to try for Shin'ka.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
When 5.2 hit and I did LFR, I got Shin'ka AND Starshatter on Tuesday :P
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Random distribution curves can be interesting. Mathematically, it's (unlikely but) entirely possible for someone to flip a coin and always get heads.

Our developers are aware of and looking at ways to address outlier cases where even a greatly increased chance to drop isn't enough.

You've been 'aware of' and 'looking at ways' for a whole tier and two patches now, and had an excellent chance to implement something related in a third patch. Or simply test it on the PTR. Or give an ETA. Or even just give some news about what your plans are.

At this point it really sounds like empty reassurance.
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Rogue
Probably just an off-shoot of Murphy's Law, but the odds at winning loot in raid finder tend to increase significantly the more you don't need the drops off a given boss.

I ran LFR on two toons this week. My better geared toon won 2 Tier drops, neither was an upgrade to the item already equipped. On the lesser geared toon, who can use upgrades in almost every slot, I won no armor drops from the last 10 bosses, including 2 bonus rolls.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Our developers are aware of and looking at ways to address outlier cases where even a greatly increased chance to drop isn't enough.

If they're aware of it, why do they keep removing guaranteed access to things and replacing them wholesale with systems where they know that someone, somewhere, is going to get boned rigourosly by the RNG gods.

My luck with drops sucks enough without them making my "your second chance" rolls into "your chance at a second chance roll" on the IoT hub.
Edited by Bomdanil on 3/9/2013 4:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
You've been 'aware of' and 'looking at ways' for a whole tier and two patches now, and had an excellent chance to implement something related in a third patch. Or simply test it on the PTR. Or give an ETA. Or even just give some news about what your plans are.

I'm still curious when they're going to try to fix 10m loot distribution. Having a 25m sized loot pool on every boss with the optimal gear distribution cut by 2/3's doesn't work anywhere near as well as it needs to.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Have you guys considered removing or allowing extra lockouts for older content? Before people could catch up with 5 mans that could be run indefinitely. You guys seem to not want catch up 5-mans, so let people farm for catch up gear in raids that aren't locked.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Random distribution curves can be interesting. Mathematically, it's (unlikely but) entirely possible for someone to flip a coin and always get heads.

Its like scratch tickets you buy for fun at the gas store? All you would have to do is put a thing in there so it keeps track of it, and if you dont get something x random amounts of times, say between 6 and 20, it automaticly gives you something. Then reverts to random. Just a odd little bit of programing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Man, I know how you feel.

I used to be DW frost, and I've tried getting Kilrak for months, week after week, spending all my coins on sha of fear.

What I got from it? 3 Shinkas, 1 helm and a bunch of failbags.
Extremely frustrating.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
It has probably been brought up before, but how about a chance to use all 10 coins (or however many seems an appropriate max) on one boss? (but shouldn't get to 100%. Maybe not even above 60-70%)

If someone wants to blow their whole cache on one boss (remembering that loot dropping doesn't mean that the piece you want will drop), would be nice if it were possible.

I only say all 10 because that seems a reasonable sacrifice for a high chance of an item.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
15 bosses, no drops..... Loving the Increase.....
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Just ask them to put a failure ceiling in place or a loop counter on loot rolls on our characters with an upper limit to prevent approaching infinity. As much as the OP is upset about not getting a Shin'ka, I'm tired of running Terrace and suffering through Tsulong and Lei Shi to flip a coin on the Sha for a chance at a helmet upgrade to get rid of the 470 helm I've had since my first run on the Headless Horseman this expansion, but instead the system keeps coughing out bags of gold and 3 extra Shin'kas. I am seriously not interested in this being the 4th straight tier that I have no 4-piece set bonus because either the pieces are gated behind content I can't run, LFR players can't stop rolling need on tokens they don't need, or the system decides to pop the middle finger at me and keep paying out partial repair bills for the number of times I end up dying in that place. I'm happy the drop rate was increased, but it never, ever, EVER should have been that low for some of us. If the system theoretically can never give you anything then the system should have been inhibited to always give you something at some point.
Reply Quote
Well RNG is RNG I've now had 48 chances at tier gear and actually gave up using coins after the 30th overall attempt knowing eventually I may get one piece. The drop rates have been increased though since I've been getting things I really don't need... I have a second sha touched weapon and have gotten the belt too many times to care. The RNG gods love my pally though...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
They need to not item stack on particular bosses. Lei Shei or whatever that stupid boss's name is drops like 4 different things for me.

This means while sure I have a 30% chance of getting something. Of that 30% I have a 1 in 4 chance of getting the weapon. Compared to other bosses such as the dragon before this only drops a belt and chest, both of which aren't tier pieces.

No boss should drop more than 3 pieces for each class/spec combination. I did notice ToT has 3 different weapons which will definitely be something that will allow us to pursue more than 1 boss a week for what is our greatest upgrade.
Reply Quote
They need to not item stack on particular bosses. Lei Shei or whatever that stupid boss's name is drops like 4 different things for me.

This means while sure I have a 30% chance of getting something. Of that 30% I have a 1 in 4 chance of getting the weapon. Compared to other bosses such as the dragon before this only drops a belt and chest, both of which aren't tier pieces.
No boss should drop more than 3 pieces for each class/spec combination. I did notice ToT has 3 different weapons which will definitely be something that will allow us to pursue more than 1 boss a week for what is our greatest upgrade.

Not gonna lie, I would give you the weapon if I could. Everyone wants their Sha touched weapon and It's the only I can get from Lei Shi besides the belt (Which I'd also hand over for the trinket or shoulder tier).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Hey, OP:

Even if you DO get an item, $5 says it won't be the weapon, but it'll be the OTHER item that he drops because Blizz makes sure Weapons are always on bosses that have other items.

Meanwhile, stupid crap like Bracers or Boots can be the only item on a boss for your class/spec.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Seriously the old raids LFR are now catch up to ToT so the drop rate should be ridiculous high not 30%, more like 60% or so percent.

Ppl should be able to catch up fast like 2,3 weeks tops to get in an apropriate level to raid ToT, going back to the BC models is plain bad it makes finding replacements a chore for raiding guilds and gets in the way of players wanting to come back to the game or going for LFR to normal/heroic modes.

You want ppl to still run old content Ok fine, but plz make them crap out loot so ppl can catch up fast.

Also not converting the valor point intens from 5.0 to justice point itens made 0 sense, ppl are simply spending theyre valor on the new factions 522 itens for obvious reason and will never ever have the spare to buy the VP itens from 5.0 or the new ones from the Island of Thunder faction even if they were to cost 1 Valor each.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
    Bag of Gold
    Bag of Gold
    Bag of Gold
    Bag of Gold

Redmile, I have a guildie, Dixey, who has run LFR Terrace since Tuesday for a total of 9 times. He had a bit of time on his hands. That's 1 normal roll + 9 Elder Charm bonus rolls on Lei Shi. All gold bags. He was beyond frustrated.

To top it off, we downed Empress last night and he also did not receive loot via bonus roll. So technically that's 11 rolls with gold bags. I'd be curious to know what qualifies as 'greatly increased'.

It would be nice if there were a way to increase your chances on bonus rolls per boss (not for all bonus rolls, just that boss). Maybe a 5% increase per time you use the the bonus roll. When you receive gear from that boss, it resets.
Edited by Davenrothz on 3/9/2013 6:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter

Have you considered given a mark or buff or something where if you don't get loot from a boss you have a 5% higher chance the next time around on that boss and for it to stack up to 25%? Than resets when you do get a drop?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]