Flight Paths must be discovered once again

What needs to be explored after the second or third character?

Nothing really if you are the 3rd or 4th character, but I also understand it is a function of how the game works. a necessary evil if you will.
Reply Quote
10 Troll Warlock
In general if a good percentage of players have 10 level capped toons in each expansion then its not grindy enough. Blizz needs to add more grind and more time sinks.
This requires you to assume two things:
That whatever you consider a 'good percentage' of players actually have 10 level capped characters, and that you have to be level capped in order to be bored/irritated/unimpressed by having to walk to flight paths again.

You're also already assuming lots of alts is bad and that repeatedly running to flight paths on multiple characters over the course of years is compelling game play.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I made a new toon once i read this thread to see for myself, it seems to be a bug, I have all the fp's I should once i reached the first flight master.

Kinda makes this EVEN funnier because it seems to be a bug yet look at all the controversy it started LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Reply Quote
53 Dwarf Paladin
03/11/2013 10:20 AMPosted by Subjectalpha
To me, that breaks immersion

Immersing yourself in the world by needing to travel it and actually FIND a fp as opposed to suddenly becoming psychic and knowing exactly where all level appropriate fps breaks immersion for you?

Oooookay. Don't see how that works, but okay.

Well, I can see the argument for the other side. How do the flight masters not know where the other stops in the flight path "network" are? Why do they need you to go talk to the others? That'd be like not being able to take the bus to a certain bus stop because you've never been to that stop before.
Reply Quote
53 Dwarf Paladin
03/11/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Subjectalpha
Do you have to drive through all the bus stops along the way before you can hop on a greyhound to travel cross state? Or fly to every point in the country in your own personal aircraft before you can get onto a flight from US Airways?

When riding a bus you still have to stop at hubs for layovers if you are crossing state lines. Had to stop 4 times on my way back from Kansas getting to Indy.

...did you have to have visited each of those stops in the past in order to travel there?
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
that's a two part post right? one to me and one to the thread in general?

Yeah, sorry my bad, didn't have enough caffeine this morning before I posted LOL

Second part not directed at you!
Reply Quote
61 Human Warlock
03/11/2013 11:53 AMPosted by Adelsya
that's a two part post right? one to me and one to the thread in general?

Yeah, sorry my bad, didn't have enough caffeine this morning before I posted LOL

Second part not directed at you!

i'm still having my tea as well hehehe
i need more =)
Reply Quote
61 Human Warlock
I made a new toon once i read this thread to see for myself, it seems to be a bug, I have all the fp's I should once i reached the first flight master.

Kinda makes this EVEN funnier because it seems to be a bug yet look at all the controversy it started LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

ya it's been repeated again and again but people must not be seeing those posts..

i'm just wondering if it is something bugged for the user or if it is certain realms?

i'm thinking it is something bugged for the user..
the forums would be flooded if it were realm problems i would think..
Edited by Cixxan on 3/11/2013 11:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/11/2013 11:49 AMPosted by Tegrayne
Well, I can see the argument for the other side.

I can see their arguement as well. I just disagree with their view is all. I think players are better if they do explore the world and find the fp's themselves (entirelly my opinion here).
Reply Quote
50 Pandaren Hunter
I can see their arguement as well. I just disagree with their view is all. I think players are better if they do explore the world and find the fp's themselves (entirelly my opinion here).

And I believe that FP's gained at level promote players being out in the world and questing and seeing the zones as they level up. The FP's being there makes it nice to get out in the world, quest, work your trade skills and do other things while also running instances.
Reply Quote
32 Night Elf Rogue
The 1-10 points are available, they stop after that.
Reply Quote
61 Human Warlock

mine didn't..
i had all mine for kalimdor yesterday when this char went there for the first time in it's life..
Reply Quote
63 Night Elf Druid
Dumb change.

03/11/2013 12:16 PMPosted by Cixxan

mine didn't..
i had all mine for kalimdor yesterday when this char went there for the first time in it's life..

You were granted them when you leveled (before the patch, likely?). Not when you stepped foot on the continent.
Edited by Amputechture on 3/11/2013 12:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
61 Human Warlock
Dumb change.

mine didn't..

You were granted them when you leveled (before the patch, likely?). Not when you stepped foot on the continent.

these are not lvl 10 flight paths..moonglade is 50 to 55?
the char in the screenshot was made today

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8085/8549560808_ccd80bbcf9_h.jpg
Edited by Cixxan on 3/11/2013 12:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
63 Night Elf Druid
Dumb change.

I think you were granted those upon character creation since Cata. It's the ones after them that aren't working or aren't auto-granted if this ends up not being a bug.

Those are the ease of use paths to help people get their newbie characters together. Moonglade is an anomaly, though.
Edited by Amputechture on 3/11/2013 12:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
32 Night Elf Rogue

Then explain why you don't have the fp to Bloodmyst Isle north of Exodar. You don't because it is past lvl 10 so you don't get it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

hehe... Made me LOL.

In general if a good percentage of players have 10 level capped toons in each expansion then its not grindy enough. Blizz needs to add more grind and more time sinks.

Having players try out other races, factions and classes is certainly something encouraged by Blizzard. Heck, there's even a load-in screen blurb to that effect.

Yet you determine that Blizz should make things more "grindy" and throw in more time sinks when players do just that. Nor everyone wants to be a high end raider or gladiator.

I have no reason to believe you're anything other than a nice person in real life.

I'm also glad that you're most likely never getting within a country mile of WoW's development team.

Like I said, I have lots of alts.

I like playing my alts.

But I don't want level 90 geared out toons handed to me or anyone else for that matter.

I'm sure there is a happy medium between "QQ BLI$$ORD!! ITS TOO HARD WHAAAA!!" and "LOL, NOOBS ARE SOFTCORE!!".

And I think Blizz has things set up pretty balanced right now.

As far as your comment about being part of Blizz's Dev team:
I've got my own software to write and I pretty much leave Blizz to write their own. There are too man armchair developers in this community as is. So, I'll stick to getting paid to design and write my software and come home and play Blizzard's. So, like I said above. I think Blizz has the balance about right, how about YOU stop trying to influence them to change things to be the way YOU want it.
Reply Quote
64 Gnome Warlock
I think Blizz has the balance about right, how about YOU stop trying to influence them to change things to be the way YOU want it.

Can you name a single successful business that refused to evolve with the needs of its clients or ignored consumer feedback?

If you can't, then why are you telling people to stop giving feedback to Blizzard about WoW on the official feedback forums for WoW?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
03/11/2013 11:19 AMPosted by Advicetroll
This requires you to assume two things:
That whatever you consider a 'good percentage' of players actually have 10 level capped characters, and that you have to be level capped in order to be bored/irritated/unimpressed by having to walk to flight paths again.

You're also already assuming lots of alts is bad and that repeatedly running to flight paths on multiple characters over the course of years is compelling game play.

Why are you using the word assumptions? I am not assuming anything.

I simply stated a design goal. Lets break it down:

"In general" (just a general rule of thumb - not a sweeping, broad master command)

"if a good percentage" (If... if... if... is a logical condition, good percentage is a conditional test. I purposefully did not put a real percentage because I am just a guy at work posting on a gaming forum so I said "good" percentage. That can mean a lot of different things to different people - designers, programmers, marketers, accountants, etc. So deciding on a good number is not something I would ever state with conviction by myself.

"have 10 level capped (and I meant to say geared out here... as I said in my previous posts) characters then in each expansion then..." (this is another conditional test. I said 10 because to me that represents an overwhelming majority of classes. Perhaps it should be higher. Perhaps it should be lower. That is something you may wish to argue. I have no strong feelings about the number 10, it could be 8 or it could be 12. The point is that it isn't 2 and it isn't 50.

"then it is not grindy enough" (this is the result of the logical conditions)

"Blizz needs to add more grind and time sinks" (this would be the solution)

So there aren't assumptions in my post. Just a statement of a design goal with some conditional test which are very much up for argument. But please argue what is a "good percentage" and whether 10 is to many or not enough level capped geared out alts.

I do not think lots of alts is bad anymore than I think lots of heroic PVE kills is bad. On the contrary, it think it is pretty damn awesome. I would like to keep it that way. But if a "good percentage" of players are level capping a "big number" of alts every expansion and gearing them up with "good gear" then there is not enough grind involved. Just like if a "good percentage" of players downed a "good number" of heroic bosses then the heroic bosses would be too easy.

Having obstacles (in whatever form - grind, time sink, skill, money, etc) is a good thing for those that enjoy being passionate about something. There is a lot of passion involved in winning an NBA title, there is very little passion involved in winning a free order of fries at McDonalds.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
03/11/2013 01:35 PMPosted by Bomdanil
I think Blizz has the balance about right, how about YOU stop trying to influence them to change things to be the way YOU want it.

If you can't, then why are you telling people to stop giving feedback to Blizzard about WoW on the official feedback forums for WoW?

He told me to stop trying to design the game, so I simply pointed out that I wasn't asking for Blizzard to change anything, that I was saying the balance seems pretty good right now to me. That HE was the one asking for the game to be changed. You follow the conversation now?

By saying that, I don't believe I asked for Blizzard to freeze time and never change anything ever again. Nor did I mean to imply that Blizzard should not accept feedback. Which is what you seem to have gotten out of my comment.

Can you name a single successful business that refused to evolve with the needs of its clients or ignored consumer feedback?

Not sure why are you asking me questions about a ridiculous hypothetical situation about a mythical company. So I am not qualified to give you an answer.
Edited by Kezmaefele on 3/11/2013 1:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]