Paladin or Death Knight

90 Blood Elf Monk
Hey guys and girls, im in need of some help because i cant decide between these two god damn classes.

Here's the deal, i play most for PvE content (not heroic raiding) but i do enjoy some random battlegrounds once in awhile.

Now why cant i decide between the two?

Well, i tried the paladin class back in BC and i REALLY wanted to dps as main spec and to tank as off spec and guess what? Got traumatized by the "Retlol" or "If you want tank a boss, go warrior"

Got tired of that BS and rolled DK when Wrath came, being DK since day 1 till the end of that xpack.

Cata xpack i barely played, so i cant say anything about the state of paladin and dk there.

Now what am i looking for?

1) Wich class, have the gameplay similar of the monk? As in being GCD capped because i really cant stand staring at my screen waiting for something to pop up, i like to always be pressing something.

2) Wich class burst better and higher?

3) Are they both viable as DPS? I want to start raiding as dps and i really dont want to hold the raid because my dps is not good enough as pally or dk.

Also for specs, if i choose the paladin after all, i'll never, ever touch the Holy spec because i really hate to be a healer. What i want is to DPS most of the time and sometimes to tank just to break the habit a little.

Well that's it, i do love the visuals of the paladin spells, but i really dont want be benched or anything like that because of the "retlol", i know this isnt BC anymore but....well, just affraid to invest time on something and fail because the developers may think "well, since paladins can heal, lets cripple their dps for pvp balance" while the DK may not have that issue.

Sorry for the long post and any grammar mistakes, english is not my primary language and thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Choose what you like best, my love. ^-^
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You'll essentially never run out of buttons to press as Ret.

You'll have downtime as a DK.

Dk dmg > Ret dmg
Ret survivability > Dk survivability

It's up to you. I poo on DK's all day :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Knowing you I think you will like DK better, but I never played with a high lvl pally, so I can't tell.

I prefered pally as tank, but DK as dps.

Maybe you should try both. =3
Edited by Hyldr on 3/12/2013 9:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think dk is a lot more fun. Until you're in better gear there could be some down times but as gear improves and your haste gets better you'll be loving the 1s base gcd. Also dk has much better sustained. Pally has better burst; but, from my experience, dk is higher dps overall. Pally has slightly better utility though, dks are selfish. I prefer dk dps to ret but play what you enjoy.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well firstly, yeah just pick what you enjoy more. I mean I was playing ret in cata when the dps was abysmal and I made that shizz work. I out dpsed warlocks in tol barad fights.

so far as the GCD thing works....they're both similar to the monk thing in certain regards. You're gonna have down times with both, times where your'e waiting. Personally I think i have less downtime as a paladin than a DK when I play mine. With paladin you can augment that by picking the divine purpose talent so you get those procs to give you even more attacks.

Despite what any DK tells you, no melee beats ret for raw CD bursting. If you have all your CDS you are a nuke when you pop them. But then your CDs are down, guardian for 5 minutes, wings for 2 (now thankfully, makes it nicely usefull on a regular basis).

For more general bursting DK. It doesn't have the OMG burst CDs of ret but it has a more burst on a quasi regulr basis thing.

It honestly comes down to which one you personally enjoy more, even just the idea of.
If you enjoy the idea of being a holy warrior whose very being is infused with holy light then you should play pally.
If you like being the,, well sorta poplar opposite of a paladin, undeadish dark knight, then do DK.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Paladins look better!

They're both good, and Ret's leagues better than it was in the past, without being faceroll like it was in Wrath. I'm biased, I guess, but less because of playing a paladin and more because of how much I hate Howling Blast on my rogue.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, i tried the paladin class back in BC and i REALLY wanted to dps as main spec and to tank as off spec and guess what? Got traumatized by the "Retlol" or "If you want tank a boss, go warrior"

I played Ret in Vanilla and TBC, and trust me, that doesn't really happen anymore. The closest thing is if you try to find an RBG pug as Ret. People can get pretty nasty.

Also for specs, if i choose the paladin after all, i'll never, ever touch the Holy spec because i really hate to be a healer. What i want is to DPS most of the time and sometimes to tank just to break the habit a little.

If you want to guarantee you'll never be asked to heal, play the DK. On the other hand, if someone asks me to go Holy I just say no.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The whole Paladin Lore is awesome. But it always goes down to what you like the most. Play what you like the most and you will enjoy the game.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Pally.

Kinda off topic, but relevant to thread. TBC was my favorite xpac for PVE. Shadow priest (mana battery) was my main. But my pally tank was always being called in to tank on raids. Loved that xpac.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]