Too many Guilds!

90 Human Death Knight
I don't know about your server, but mine is full of level 25 guilds with hardly any people in them. The GMs hang on to the dream that the guilds will fill with adoring new players... but they don't. I don't see an influx of new players looking for guilds, do you? If your guild has less than 5 people logging on weekly or less than 10 and you are a "raiding guild" please do the people in your guild a favor. Join with another guild and turn that desert of dreams of yesterday into a personal bank.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Dirky I agree with you. I find many people who joined a guild a friend made who swore up and down it was going to be some amazing new guild. and then watched as 5 of their friends.. did nothing. stopped playing.. had them transfer to their server.. then without a word leave that friend alone. I have seen that happen to so many players.. their wow friends swear up and down that they have the blueprint for a great guild.. t.. they say spend the 50-75 bucks.. bring your mains over.. lets make this amazing guild.. and then.. in a few months.. they realize they got suckered and their time wasted.

Every day I have grown my guild by finding folks who are stuck in deadzones..... Guilds with no leadership or direction and I find them a better home. IF its not mine.. I find them a guild who can meet their schedule or requirements.

I do it because it helps save good players from blaming the game over there lack of fun time.
This is why I made that post a month ago and said don't make a guild if you are not willing to really back it up.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Why?

And whose guild should they join? Let me guess... yours?

Really? That's what you have to add? A snarky comment implying that I made this post to get guilds to merg with mine? /gkick
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Well, why should those guilds disband rather than being the ones that other guilds come to join? I think that is what Sub is getting at.

But yes, it is a problem. Which is why you'll find me constantly recommending against people looking for advice on starting new guilds. We just don't need another new raiding guild or social guild or guild.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
go figure mate....
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
There are new people getting into wow or some coming back having not played in 2-3 years.
Should their first experience back in the game or their first experience with a guild be a terrible one? Should we as Guild leaders and Officers of good guilds not advise people on the right path? OR Should we instead say.. let them find out on their own?

This is not wow classic where everything was fun and new.. Sadly thats not the case.
IF you are on a vibrant realm with alot of strong guilds.. all having success in various degrees.. why clutter the server.. because one's ego feels they will do better? Why not actually explore some of these guilds and actually build a good reputation on the realm by being a positive strong member of that guild. And then Later on if you do decide to move on.. at least you will have built a good reputation and have a chance of getting people to join with you in forging one's own guild.

Instead I see too many carbon cutter guilds.

"WE are a social,Casual guild looking for like minded players.. WE use vent."
"We are a hardcore raiding guild looking for other hardcore raiders.. we use Vent"
"WE are a Leveling guild join us for the perks!"
"we are .. Bla blah blah generic guild 1million looking for other generic players"

Seriously stay around trade and look at the spam and see the same junk spewed across multiple realms. Go to various realms and you will see the same style spewage.
I know I have done it. And out of those various guilds.. how many actually make it?
maybe like 1%.

Example A. on my realm the alliance are vexed by this one Horde guild who has nearly 1000 members. They are a world pvp guild. They attack en mass to wipe out alliance in various areas. IF its 20vs 20 the alliance win. But most of the time there are 40 of them versus 20.

So as a response to this Guild.. 4 DIFFERENT guilds have come out with the same exact focus.. to take out that guild... Now if those 4 "Different" guilds had merged they would have been able to really face off against that guild. Instead those 4 different guilds have resorted to spamming against each other in trade. They go to the realm forums and mock each other.

All the while that One horde guild hasn't done anything to cause them to hate each other.. its their own egos getting in the way. And the Horde guild doesn't get scared by them at all.

sad.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Every day I have grown my guild by finding folks who are stuck in deadzones..... Guilds with no leadership or direction and I find them a better home. IF its not mine.. I find them a guild who can meet their schedule or requirements.

I do it because it helps save good players from blaming the game over there lack of fun time.
This is why I made that post a month ago and said don't make a guild if you are not willing to really back it up.

I salute you on this. Most guild leaders would probably bring them to their own. *Ducks behind cover, waiting for those 'most GMs' to throw their disapproval at him.*

If your guild has less than 5 people logging on weekly or less than 10 and you are a "raiding guild" please do the people in your guild a favor. Join with another guild and turn that desert of dreams of yesterday into a personal bank.

But... why exactly? I haven't heard of a server limit on guilds. Might be in the new hotfixes, I better go check.

But in all seriousness, there isn't really a point to this comment. People do what people want. It's their $15 a month. Why does it really matter to you, or to anyone, how many guilds there are? A person will go where they want to go. Those little floating guilds that don't do much aren't really causing you any trouble. They're just there and you're bothered by their existence. If someone joins them, and finds they don't like it, they'll leave.

Take note that I'm not in a guild at the time of posting this. It's because I haven't found one that suits my wants, and I'm making it through on my own.

Besides, everyone has to start small. All guilds start, from the time of obtaining the last signature, with about 5 players. Then say you bought all 4 signatures. Then you may only have the GM. Successful guilds don't just happen overnight. It takes work and effort. And that involves long hours of work on the part of the guild master and the officers to get it going and to keep it going.

Sometimes guilds collapse cause of personal or financial reasons of the GM. It can't be helped, but that doesn't mean the GM won't want to try again. The fact that these floater guilds bother you is more a personal issue than a game issue. Ignore them. They can't get in on your raid and steal your loot, unless you invite a member from one of these guilds.

No guild will work without effort and time - and lots of it. So then you end up with floater guilds, cause lets face it, after putting time and effort into something, you get a bit attached to it. But, my personal opinion is if you want to start a guild, go for it. All you can do is try, and who knows, before too long, you may be running one of the worlds best guilds. Or you may just be doing average, like most guilds. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

So, to all you who own a floater guild, and have dreams, dream big and try for it. Just remember that it takes work and time and effort, maybe some sweat, tears, and cursing. But, if you're truly dedicated, it can work out.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Why?

And whose guild should they join? Let me guess... yours?

Really? That's what you have to add? A snarky comment implying that I made this post to get guilds to merg with mine? /gkick

You missed the point, which is this: if every guild is waiting for those "failed" guilds to merge with them, then nothing happens, and we are left with the same situation. Which is, a bunch of guilds with nobody in them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

You missed the point, which is this: if every guild is waiting for those "failed" guilds to merge with them, then nothing happens, and we are left with the same situation. Which is, a bunch of guilds with nobody in them.

Well, to your point. I have about 20 active players (Not just numbers in the members tab). If we ever drop down in numbers, we would look to combine with another guild. In fact at one point we almost did that. So I am not asking others to do anything I wouldn't do. I like a few others who have posted am tired of spam for members and/or Guilds that guilt thier 3 members into "hanging in there" "because everyone will leave if you do" It kinda pisses me off when I see guilds that are on the verge of collapse and 20 more every weekend looking for randoms to sign thier charter. The point of the damn charter is to have that many members, not to pay 10 gold to 5 people so you can start another fail !@# guild!.. Sorry about the nerd rage..
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I am in a guild that belongs to a good friend of mine. He has been playing this game for over 3 years that I know of. Sometimes, I am the only active member in that guild, but that is because he and his wife work alot. He doesn't want other people in his guild, unless he can totally trust them, but that is his business. Getting to my point ........ he had another guild that was given to him, so he gave it to me. Right now, I only use it as a personal bank as I read in one of the comments above. I've only been playing this game for a few short months, and what I know about this game, I learned either on my own or from my friend who rarely plays anymore. However, I do know a little about leadership when it comes to these things. You see, I came from Facebook where I played Mafia Wars, I own the second largest pimping site (for mafia players) and we had our mafia wars clan, I was/am the Godfather. I am known in the Mafia Wars community simply as "Stone". Anyways, I just wanted to put in my two cents. I got sick and tired of the drama of Facebook and Mafia Wars and started playing WoW because my friend played it, and I love it, even if I don't know everything there is to know about it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I don't know about your server, but mine is full of level 25 guilds with hardly any people in them. The GMs hang on to the dream that the guilds will fill with adoring new players... but they don't. I don't see an influx of new players looking for guilds, do you? If your guild has less than 5 people logging on weekly or less than 10 and you are a "raiding guild" please do the people in your guild a favor. Join with another guild and turn that desert of dreams of yesterday into a personal bank.

you know While I tend to agree there are too many guilds.. I am not going to get on my high horse and tell another player what he can and can not do.. not unless I am paying for his monthly sub.

You can not do that either and I think what is rubbing Sub and a few of us the wrong way is the overall tone of your post. I am glad you have 20 active accounts in your guild, I am glad you feel that is successfull, but another person may feel that having only 20 active accounts in their guild is far from being successfull in fact to them it maybe a failure

Guilds have been forming and disband for years, this is nothing new. But I agree with many here if you start a guild and do not know what else to do with it or how to market your guild or you whine that it is too hard, maybe your not cut out to run a guild.

But if someone wants to start a guild let them it is their 15$ their time and it is no skin off your back.. And the idea of you and others "rescuing players from their own bad choices"

Well let me tell you this if your always rescuing a player or coming to their aid and keeping them from making that bad choice , many of these players will continue to make the same bad mistakes over and over again... It is the biggest lesson any parent has to learn no matter how painfull it may be to watch part of letting your child grow up is to let him make mistakes so that he can learn from them
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Mage
Reading all these post... you are all correct. After running a guild for years its not about getting members anymore. Its about keeping my current players from quitting wow. They are leaving in droves. This last patch cost me 2 players, done with dailies, done with the same old rehash of Blizz's idea of change. Its the solo player that rules the roost. Cross realms done work. When the casual player can do LFR, a billion dailies, pet battles. Why do they need a guild? Its now just a place to store your stuff in the bank and hopefully get free repairs.

Merging? Been there tried that. Egos.. omg.. drama. No thanks. And thanks to the level perks, whats left of them, no one wants to give them up.

Just my two cents.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
03/12/2013 04:08 PMPosted by Mydnite
Its about keeping my current players from quitting wow. They are leaving in droves.

You can't keep players from quitting WOW, and they've been leaving in droves since the beginning. The game is 8 years old but the average age of WOW players has only jumped by around 2 years, which is a pretty good indication that a lot of people play for a while and then leave. I remember rants about how 'my guild is falling apart because everyone started leaving after X' all the way back to vanilla. Keeping a guild going requires retaining people, but you're never going to keep everyone interested in the long run, you should always expect to recruit more.
Reply Quote
14 Human Mage
Eh, I've told this tale before.

When my old guild blew up mid-Cata, it was me and like 15-20 other people with no place to go. We debated starting our own guild since we all still wanted to play with each other and were pals, but we were also all fine with joining an established one. So we made a chat channel, swapped email addresses, made a google spreadsheet with our must haves and possible candidates, and after a week or so of thinking it over with no tag over our head, joined another large guild en mass.

It's been a win/win for all I think. More of our friends and relatives have come back into the game and injected fresh blood in the guild we chose. Another guild run by friend recently merged a few weeks ago with good tidings and fun. The guild before these mergers had no raiding, now we're contemplating starting a 4th group.

Mergers can work as long as there is clear expectation and goals. With the shared spreadsheet in mind, I interviewed the guild leader, officers, and a few members before we joined (and them me) to make sure it would be a good fit. With a guild as large as ours (500 folks now, seems perfect size), there will always be some drama flare ups and issues, but nothing crazy. My main rule is I don't have to like everyone and not everyone has to be my BFF, but we can all respect each other and act civil.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
If your guild has less than 5 people logging on weekly or less than 10 and you are a "raiding guild" please do the people in your guild a favor. Join with another guild and turn that desert of dreams of yesterday into a personal bank.

What makes it your business how other people run their guilds? If they want to join a big guild I guarantee they'll do it of their own initiative.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

All you've done is insult me, you still haven't answered the question.

Why is it a problem *for your guild* that smaller guilds exist on the server that don't want to merge with you? Why is it a problem that players are in the game who have zero interest in playing with you?

Why do you feel Blizz should implement something to give you power over players?

I think it is an issue if you want to raid, but not an issue if you do not care about raiding. On my server several raiding guilds are not progessing as we are all trying to recruit the extremly small pickings, and yet every couple of days we see a 'new" guild who is recruiting raiders. Alot of guilds on my server have 6-7 raiders, sometimes 9 but we barely are able to a pug. It is annoying to see a new guild come along and try yet another raiding team on a mid/smallish server.

Yet no one wants to merge. I know I hang in with my guild as I like the people and it is most likely the same for many others. I think he has a valid point about waste of talent, resouces and time (it takes time to pug). A fair few new guilds think they can do better draining those resources. However if raiding is not a concern then I do not think there is a problem with a million guilds at level 25 being ghost towns.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior

Do keep in mind many of us are not raiding guilds and do not mark Raiding in the Guild Finder advertisement. Unfortunately, Pro Progression guilds also like to mark Questing and PvP as well as progression, then you get in them and find it's all GOGOGOGOGOGO. Some of those guilds are dying, for good reason. Few people want a second job. My guild may be small in terms of active members (with lots of retired or idle players), but we aren't marketed as a raiding guild and you cannot mistake us for one.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Thats fine you have a small tight nit guild who doesn't spam the recruit macro and you have no intention of doing so.

This rant or complaint from the op is not about those type of guilds.
Nope its about those generic guilds you see in trade with the same mindless non creative macro stating they want to be raiding/ rbg .. do it all guild there is already 20 guilds with the same exact focus available.

you want to have fun? go to wow progress.. Look at the top 25 raiding guilds.. look at the top 25 rbg guilds.. See how many they have.. in each guild. see how active they are.

And you will get a good idea of the health of your realm. The problem that goes on.. is when many people go to a new server.. lets say.. Stormrage is a classic example.. you have folks rushing to that server.. because they hate pvp. Then instead of joining an established guild.. you have like 100 every day starting a new one. So what happens is.. with the same generic crap.. you end up having 100 folks not happy.. because they can't grasp why they can't fill their Special guild.

I moved my guild to Bleeding hollow with 13 and we are now at 333. I had to work at it hard to build up. But I had the advantage of already running a guild for nearly 5 years. I remembered what I did to get new members and I have improved on those techniques. I am pretty sure we will hit about 600 in about another month or so. Why do I continue? Because I like my members to be active .. There is nothing more soulcrushing in this game to log on look at your guild and realize you are the only person online for like 75% of the time you play. It is a social game And not having folks to share an interest with stinks.

So what I advise if you feel you got what it takes to run a guild.. or you got like 8 friends.. find a guild small.. and just join enmasse into that guild. 2 things will happen you will re-energize that guild... everyone will be happy... 2 talk to the gm ask if they need help.. offer to help. IF they are smart they will reciprocate. And you will quickly find yourself with the ability to build that guild without the pressure to succeed weighing you down.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]