Tips for healing in bgs

Pvp healing is much different than healing in dungeons, anyone have any tips?

Also general healing question: Is spirit always more important than intellect?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Stand in front of your ranged dps but behind your melee dps. That way you are out of the main fight, but if you get jumped by a stealthie people are more likely to see and help you. Keep your casting short. Move a lot. Practice :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
prepare to be left behind... prepare to face the impeding doom of a wall that will surely hit you when you notice all the dps are too tunneled to realize that their healer is getting jumped by 3 people -_-

spirit is valuable, but not as valuable in pvp (i personally wouldnt reforge out of it or anything). most fights in random bg's dont last too long and the main importance is those quick big heals. thats where it can be a pita, as you want to use your expensive fast heals while you have aggro, but need the spirit to back up using them. learn to use your silences/cc's! cant tell you how many times ive seen healers just sit and heal someone when they could have easily silenced a mage free casting on someone

(sry if my post was a little derpy, at work and coffee aint cutting it)
Edited by Jarshie on 3/16/2013 6:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
For normal and RBGs Spirit and Resilience are huge stats - it's easy to run out of juice. There are times where you have to rotate which healer breaks off to go drink.

For Arena healers, spirit and resil are pretty awesome, but each class is a little different on how quickly they can spend and regen it. You'll see healers with all different levels of Spirit.

--

As for Tips, don't panic when you're CC chained to death. IT's just part of normal battlegrounds, and even moreso when they're well coordinated in RBGs.

Know when to Dispel.

Learn your escape maneuvers / defensive abilities.

Learn which spells share lockouts, so you know how to react when locked out of one.

Know when to run. Know when to drag enemies to your dps. Know how to tank a lot of damage.

Keybind everything and anything that could potentially be useful.

And have fun - there's a lot of frustration and anger that healers can get... but it's still supposed to be fun!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Feythylan was spot on, but in addition, it is important to remember you can do more than just heal. Shaman in particular have a ton of useful abilities, so get in the habit of using your interrupts, cc's (Hex their healers, they hate that. :D), totems (such as earthbind and tremor), and most importantly, as mentioned, know when to recognize impending doom and beat feet out of there.

You may also want to become well acquainted with your local, friendly druid, as we can give you Symbiosis which will grant a resto Shaman the ability to Prowl (stealth) as a ghost wolf. Although as resto, I generally prefer to Symbiosis a DK or hunter, if neither is available, Spiritwalker's Grace is a nice ability for me to have, giving me even more mobility in a large BG.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
PvP healing is to a large extent about working well with team members and using utility spells effectively.

CCs, dispells, slows, interrupts, snares, knockbacks, pretty much every obscure spell you never use during normal PvE healing is potentially very useful in PvP. Getting maximum use out of utilities will make you hugely more effective in PvP.

For random BGs another key tip is to always stick with other people. Ideally well geared ones. I often look at the scoreboard about three minutes into the game to see who is high on kills, healing, and BG objectives. Then I go over to see if the people with good numbers are actually playing well (it's not hard to pad numbers and still suck at PvP). If they're good I stick with them and try to keep them alive. If you can find three people that are geared and competent to hang out with for the duration of the battle, you can usually turn the BG into your personal (face)stomping ground.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Most of it has already been said but I found that using something to show me when things will be off CD, by the second (Button Timers for instance) extremely valuable. Will fear be up soon? No? Then I may need to do something else.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
03/16/2013 09:10 AMPosted by Pipikaula
it is important to remember you can do more than just heal.

remember to add your dps ability's to those keybinds as well, you never know when they might come in handy
<-- atonement ftw
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Priest
03/17/2013 09:10 PMPosted by Foriel
it is important to remember you can do more than just heal.

remember to add your dps ability's to those keybinds as well, you never know when they might come in handy
<-- atonement ftw

I love you, a priest who understands me!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Don't hold onto your cds for "just in case". One person's death could mean a loss. So bust that CD to save them!

Dispel. CC. Los the casters if you can. Keep melee mobile. Prioritize your heals. Fc. Yourself. Other healers. Your big DPS.

Use everything in your spell book on key bind. You need it.

Gem resil.

Dispel that darn frost bomb!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
How to simulate healing in regular BGs:

1) Rub sandpaper on your face
2) Have someone scream "Where are my heals?" in your ear for the duration.
3) Requeue and repeat the process.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
O yes, make a macro that says, "no peals, no heals!"
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
O yes, make a macro that says, "no peals, no heals!"

Love it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Bring pvp geared friend that you are in voice chat with. If you don't bring people who care about you, no one will.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Be prepared to die a lot.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
for BGs, I'd say a key factor overlooked is knowing where to heal. All maps have spots at nodes/bases/what have you that are easily hidden, yet still LoS of everything there. Being able to free cast because the enemy doesn't see you is the best trick I know of.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]