Mothers in Azeroth

There have only been twelve mothers in Wacraft, and all but four have been killed and one is MIA... So far. Please note I'm only listing characters that have at least a father. Most lore characters have neither a mother or a father.

Anduin's mother died in the Stormwind riots
Draka, Thrall's mother was murdered when he was but a wee lil baby.
Sunwalker Dezcon's wife died giving birth to twins.
Durotan's mother, Greatmother Geyah was alive in Nagrand but said she was dying.
Leyara, Fandral Staghelm's daughter-in-law went cray cray and we killed her.
Lianna Menethil, Arthas' mother. (Is MIA(presumed dead) alongside her daughter, Calia.)
Baine's mother, Tamaala is dead.

Moira Bronzebeard is alive, for now.
Thrall's baby momma, Aggra is still alive. For now, watch y'ere back missy.
Vareesa Windrunner is alive and kicking... For now.
King Greymane's wife, Mia Greymane is alive... For now...
Alleria Windrunner is MIA.

Everyone else apparently doesn't have a mother. Garrosh, Varian, Kael'thas, Arthas, Moira, Vanessa VanCleef and Jaina.

My point being, Blizzard has a bad track record for writing mothers. They've all either died pre-WoW and have been mentioned maybe twice(I actually had to Google who Arthas' and Baine's mothers were), were killed off, are MIA or are waiting to be killed off. It seems their only purpose is to pop out the child then die.
Edited by Lorelaî on 3/28/2013 2:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Tyrande is technically a mommy since she supposedly "adopted" Shandris in her short story, which I think implied she was incapable of having children. (Funny that.)
Reply Quote
Tyrande is technically a mommy since she supposedly "adopted" Shandris in her short story, which I think implied she was incapable of having children. (Funny that.)

Adopted yes, but I'm going off biological mothers.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

That explains everything!

Theyv'e decided Tyrande can't breed, so they have no reason to show her in a good light. Of course it all makes sense. Even Sylvanas can breed, in a round about way, by using teh Valkyrie to raise the dead!

It's all a message by Blizzard. And evil conspiracy. Either the ladyfolk should pop up some form of new life or they are incompetent!!! Yes/! YES I HAVE DISCOVER THE EVIL PLAN!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Marriage seems to be rare in WoW so maybe the mothers are just random people. We have 2 married leaders and a widower, everyone else is rocking the single life.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Theyv'e decided Tyrande can't breed, so they have no reason to show her in a good light. Of course it all makes sense. Even Sylvanas can breed, in a round about way, by using teh Valkyrie to raise the dead!

I get what you mean, personally it makes me feel sad for her. It reminds me of the beginning of the movie Up, which also made me sad about that whole "infertile" thing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Sunwalker Dezco's wife died giving birth to twins.

And just think. If he'd been wise, like Vaeldrin, and tested the water of youth, he might've realized that giving it to her was a stupid idea. Thus, she might still be alive as a result.
Edited by Syandria on 3/19/2013 1:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Don't forget Aggra, I assume that's where her and Thrall have disappeared to anyways....makin' babies >_>
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Don't forget Aggra, I assume that's where her and Thrall have disappeared to anyways....makin' babies >_>
Well, she did say she would give him the life he wanted...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Arthas' mommy is mentioned in his book. What happened to her? That's a different story. I wish they'd be more concrete with the fate of their characters. It's annoying.

I'm not sure it's a mommy thing as much as it's not relevant to the overall theme of the game, which is war (orc and human style). Mommies get in the way.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I think garrosh has a lot of babies mamas. Right? seriously I want garrosh to have a son so one day hell bring the hellscream name to respectability because this whole garrosh saga makes me sad.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I also think gArrosh and garona would be a bad in a good way couple.
Reply Quote

Aggra on the list as "Alive... For now."

Marriage seems to be rare in WoW so maybe the mothers are just random people. We have 2 married leaders and a widower, everyone else is rocking the single life.

The leaders are all single because the women don't want to be killed off after popping out dem babies.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I think it has more to do with Women Issues, since they can't seem to write good female characters consistently. Not surprising, given the atmosphere at Blizzard is comprised of people like Metzen, Kosak, and all.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Arthas' mommy is mentioned in his book. What happened to her? That's a different story. I wish they'd be more concrete with the fate of their characters. It's annoying.

Queen Lianne only appeared in the earlier parts of the book, when Arthas was a child. It was implied she passed away prior to the Third War, which isn't too surprising if she was similar in age to King Terenas.

Likewise, I think it's safe to assume Kael's mother died of natural causes some time ago. She wasn't mentioned in any accounts of the Second or Third Wars, and her husband Anasterian was downright ancient for an elf (being described as very thin, frail and deeply wrinkled).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Right, but you would think a book dedicated to Arthas would mention WHEN his mother died.

Most of the writing team are men, correct? That would explain the difficulties in writing women. Most women have trouble getting inside the male mind as well.

We honestly don't know the other gender as well as we'd like to think, and that probably plays a large part of it, too. Why bother when you can't get it right? Sylvanas is a b*tch. Jaina was a wuss for most of WoW. Tyrande... let's not go there. Aggra was kind of mean to Thrall in the book and now she's all wishy washy.

I think the trouble with females is not just a one faceted issue in WoW.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
03/19/2013 11:49 AMPosted by Mahalia
Most of the writing team are men, correct?

I believe so. Christie Golden and Sarah Pine have authored various novels and short stories (respectively), but I don't think either has worked on any of the in-game material.
Reply Quote
I just find it funny not one character has lost their father and has had their mother raise them alone.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I just find it funny not one character has lost their father and has had their mother raise them alone.

These boys were raised by single moms:
Garrosh
Mediv
Me'dan
Edited by Threeslotbag on 3/19/2013 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

Vereesa is pretty much a single mom now. (Thanks Horde!)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]