How many alts would you stop playing...

MVP
90 Human Mage
...if you could have every profession on your main?

Ghostcrawler's been poking people with this question a bit on Twitter the past few days. Are you playing your alts because you want to play them, or because you're using them to have access to additional professions?

In my own case, just about all of my alts are real characters in their own right, which I would keep playing regardless of professions -- though I might prioritize them somewhat differently. The only exception? My Rogue -- which I am leveling for the sole purpose of being able to open my own lockboxes rather than harassing my friends.
85 Human Paladin
I would stop playing 3 characters total if 1 could have every prof (I think it's a dumb idea).
Would have saved me money too. Since I wouldn't have had to buy faster flying on my gathering toons
Edited by Yonerbob on 3/19/2013 8:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
i would play 0 alts if it wasn't for professions, but having everyone profession on my main wouldn't really change it since i have the alts for multiple daily profession CDs.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
Not everyone uses twitter GC:(

Less probably and yes my rogue is probably going to be the next 90 due to the fact i have 2 bags full of lockboxes in its bank.

But professions and shortages are tend to strongly control what alts i level.

This expansion i did my enchanter/JC second because I wanted meta gems and a tank alt that can disenchant is useful for mats.
LW/skinner 3rd for leg enchants and because of Bop spirits
Tailor/scribe 4th for leg enchants and I wanted to craft the boa's for later alts.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
To be honest half of my alts are still 85 and some will never progress other than in their professions and perhaps after the XP req'ment is nerfed :)

When I am bored or feel the need to level I jump on one for a couple of hours. But thats about it. They are my prof hoes and not much more.

That said, I do tend to keep 1 or 2 alts well geared (usually previous Tier + current BIS crafted gloves/chestpiece etc), just in case I get bored with my current raid toon or there is a requirement (from a raid composition standpoint) to change and I feel like a challenge.

Of course, maintaining an alt - at or near raiding capacity - is no small feat. The Valor of the Ancients helps but is in dire need of a redesign. But thats another topic for another thread.

In short - I won't be deleting my alts because they have profs I need to assist in keeping my raid toons running. If I could have all profs on 1 toon I think I would still keep a couple around - but not all.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
I wouldn't stop playing anything, because I pretty much only play this one character anyway. I do have a level-85 druid that I'm using to level jewelcrafting and enchanting, so I might stop that. Eventually, though, once I get some heirlooms, maybe I'll level more alts just to try different classes and races. But the professions change wouldn't have much of an effect on the number of alts I play.

However, it would still be a severe problem for me, because fewer alts would crash the glyph market, so I'd make a lot less money.

Also, if everyone could have all the professions on their main, then only hard-core raiders would have money. With few exceptions, the only real sources of cash in WoW are doing quests—which run out after a while—and looting corpses. Every other way of making money basically involves getting the money from someone else in exchange for doing something they can't, or can't easily, do themselves. If everyone had all the professions, then there'd be no reason to pay anyone for anything, and you'd only make money from killing things. And since the most valuable loot comes from the highest-level mobs, the raiders would get the most money. And I don't think that's a good idea, because there should always be multiple ways to enjoy the game—you should be able to choose between focusing on fighting and focusing on professions, not have them fused together.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
With few exceptions, the only real sources of cash in WoW are doing quests—which run out after a while—and looting corpses. Every other way of making money basically involves getting the money from someone else in exchange for doing something they can't, or can't easily, do themselves. If everyone had all the professions, then there'd be no reason to pay anyone for anything, and you'd only make money from killing things.

i think this is the core of the issue. and leads me to what i think is an even more important question that the OP.

How many people who dont have alts for other professions would level all(or more) the professions on their main to become self sufficient.

The people playing alts for professions are already self sufficient so allowing them to do it on a main just makes their lives easier.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Too late to stop playing them now, you would need a time machine to go back in time & implement all-proffs from the beginning. I've got 6 90s which covers all 11 professions and each of them are 95%-100% complete in terms of recipes learned - and unless I could transfer their books over to the main without losing any, I wouldn't get rid of the alts.

It may be true that having all the professions available to one character years ago might have stopped me creating some of the alts back then, but you've not seen how much I have done on each of them since. So stop playing them now? nope, nope, tooooo late.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
What one character would have the bag space to manage every single profession?
My enchanter and jewelcrafter could never be the same character simply due to bag space.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
All of them. I levelled 5 90's for the achievement & access to all the professions. If I could have every profession on my main, I would a) probably retire 2 of them and use the rest as bank alts, and b) cry in a corner because I would have to collect recipes for all those professions on my main.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Mage
03/19/2013 10:03 PMPosted by Icpitl
With few exceptions, the only real sources of cash in WoW are doing quests—which run out after a while—and looting corpses. Every other way of making money basically involves getting the money from someone else in exchange for doing something they can't, or can't easily, do themselves. If everyone had all the professions, then there'd be no reason to pay anyone for anything, and you'd only make money from killing things.

I think the theory is that an awful lot of people are already self-sufficient -- they just achieve it by having profession alts.

They're definitely trying to strike a good balance between having too little for people with one character to do (like in Cata) and having too much for people with lots of alts to do (as people complain about now). A reasonable question to ask before striking a new balance is: how many of those alts are people actually playing because they want the alt, and how many are they playing just to have access to another two professions? If increasing the number of professions a single character can have reduces the number of alts being played, that reduces the distance between "too little to do" and "too much to do," making it easier to hit a good balance that makes more people happy. If it doesn't, though -- if most of those alts are being played because people want to play them -- then there's not much to be gained by increasing the professions limit.
85 Goblin Death Knight
I leveled alts in BC because I enjoyed playing WoW and my "main" character was leveling with my friends.

I leveled alts in WotLK because I enjoyed the different classes.

I leveled alts in Cata because I was bored.

In Mists, there is really to much to do for me to worry about alts, especially since I have stopped playing as often as I used to. So yes, technically the alts I have right now are 80-85 crafting alts. Though I seriously doubt I would eliminate any of them if I could have all of my professions on one character...

1. Gathering is a waste of time, so this gathering alt is simply an auctioneer for misc. crap I pick up while questing. Having gathering professions on my main character would just give me something to do while waiting for raids or queues...times when I am otherwise incapable of completing quests.

2. Bag space is not cheap. On alts, I have the option of guild banks that I can share on the same realm, but my main is part of a guild and lacks access to the guild bank except for raiding materials to better the whole guild.

3. Right now, I have gems and alchemy transmutes (for more gems) on one character, another is my herb storage and elixir master, my potion master is parked in front of the BMAH since I rarely need potions, my main is an enchanter for group DE, and my scribe is my second 90, a monk I leveled but mainly only use for the occasional wild pet battle. Access to all of my professions on one character would be nice, but I don't really have professions for self-sufficiency, I have them to make gold, and separate characters would still be better for organizing materials and tracking what I have and haven't crafted.

4. As Zachfu mentioned, the "serious" crafters with alts likely have multiple characters for cooldowns.

5. As Icpitl mentioned, if everyone was self-sufficient, there would be no market place. Making gold would become merely a questing grind for buying things off of the BMAH or random world drops. The most successful gold makers would be the bots with multiple alts completing dailies 24/7.

6. I believe the ideal situation is for every character to have one profession, cutting down on a lot of competition in the AH. The individuals who want access to all of the professions on one character are generally to lazy and cheap to interact with other players. They believe farming their own materials makes them free and that crafting is simply the pushing of a button.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
The only reason most of my alts exist is to provide Sharm with Profession support. They never were intended to actually be played and rarely are (beyond questing to max level).

Said alts, get leveled to max, obtain the few recipes that are useful for this character and sit in Stormwind for when I need to make something.

Unfortunately as was mentioned above.

Too late to stop playing them now, you would need a time machine to go back in time & implement all-proffs from the beginning.

I don't know if I'd bother to go and re-level the professions on Sharm if I already have them at max skill on my alts. Now if professions were account wide and I could use any of the already max level professions on Sharm that would be quite different.
Edited by Sharmarli on 3/20/2013 6:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I don't know if I'd bother to go and re-level the professions on Sharm if I already have them at max skill on my alts. Now if professions were account wide and I could use any of the already max level professions on Sharm that would be quite different.

Account-wide professions would be the better implementation if the profession cap was removed, no reason to level a profession twice if you are only doing it to be self-sufficient (though it would cause issues with cooldowns, but those two should likely be eliminated at that point).

I would re-level all of the professions on my main toon though just so I would have access to them for trade chat and such. Then again, I wouldn't be able to listen in on trade chat most of the time, as I would be out gathering when I was bored rather than sitting in Org.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Probably none of them. I don't really play alts for professions and don't double up on professions to get around cooldowns.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I would re-level all of the professions on my main toon though just so I would have access to them for trade chat and such. Then again, I wouldn't be able to listen in on trade chat most of the time, as I would be out gathering when I was bored rather than sitting in Org.

If every character had all professions, there wouldn't be much use for trade chat anymore.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
I wouldnt stop playing my alts because of that.

I would, however finally be able to use the professions I like on the toons I want instead of spreading the professions around.

I think they should change it to a 3 profession per character with a limit of 2 crafting professions. This would let someone have 3 gathering professions if they wanted but everyone would have at least 1.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
I play three toons because I want to play them and to cover all the specs. All others are for professions. I only have a dk because he starts at level 55 which saves me time leveling him and has faster mount speed which would let me gather things quicker.
Edited by Bloodkorican on 3/20/2013 9:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Orc Death Knight
Most of my alts are for professions and, unless there was a daily c/d, I would not play them. I have seven alchemists and 6 inscriptionists. I would think c/d would have to go - imagine wanting to do JC, LW, BS. inscription, tailoring, alchemy and farm cooldown every day on every toon. wow.

-----

What one character would have the bag space to manage every single profession?
My enchanter and jewelcrafter could never be the same character simply due to bag space.

Very good point!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]