How many alts would you stop playing...

100 Gnome Priest
Cruch:
What one character would have the bag space to manage every single profession?
My enchanter and jewelcrafter could never be the same character simply due to bag space.

I hadn't considered that at all. O.O

Lhivera:
I think the theory is that an awful lot of people are already self-sufficient -- they just achieve it by having profession alts.

That's probably true, but I think Zachfu's right that the real problem is the people who aren't self-sufficient now, but may become so if they don't have to level alts to do so.

Phopaw:
If every character had all professions, there wouldn't be much use for trade chat anymore.

Since when is trade chat used for trade? :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
It would be nice not to grind for rep on each toon for every 2nd profession.

My alts would become "virtual bags" for my main.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
Oh Ghostcrawler and his crazy game changing (breaking?) ideas
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I have 5 level 90 characters, 2 of which I would say that I leveled for their professions. If I had all the main professions available on a character, I would likely limit it down to 3: my mage, a tank and a healer.

On the other hand, doing dailies, earning gold or exploring the world takes on a different viewpoint when seen from a druid in flight form versus a rogue sneaking past mobs, picking pockets and thumbing her nose at the unseeing bosses.
Reply Quote
I have 5 90s. I would only continue to play two if they didn't have their professions seperate.

As for storage...guild bank!
Reply Quote
43 Worgen Mage
I like playing every class. And I enjoy all of them. So would have several chars regardless of crafting. I just might not advance as many of them to 80+ as fast.
Edited by Foxwizard on 5/1/2013 3:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I would cut down on the number of alts since many of them are to make sure I have all professions plus some extra gathering professions and a few duplicates for things like Alchemy to get me transmute and a flask one while I am still missing a potion master.

Of course unless I could transfer the leveled professions it would not help me much to allow this since i am not sure what the point would be to relevel something I have already leveled.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
I wouldn't stop playing my alts, but I would definitely spend more time on my main, this toon, and that would make me happy.

I think I would still need to use all of the alts for storage space even if I knew all the professions on one toon.
Reply Quote
I would stop playing my mage alt beyond using it as a storage mule. I hate playing that class, but they can port around which made it easier to skill up certain professions.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
If every character had all professions, there wouldn't be much use for trade chat anymore.

Some people have no professions even on their main. Let alone every profession. I do a reasonable trade in older recipes as well.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Less probably and yes my rogue is probably going to be the next 90 due to the fact i have 2 bags full of lockboxes in its bank.

I was trying to level my rogue asap when I learned that my level 86 pally's Blacksmith keys can open those lockboxes. So rogue's back to picking veggies (will level someday - just not in a hurry now).

This xpac seems like profession alts need to level fast and get the faction rep, etc. etc. but you can just buy the damn enchants so it's really not a big deal.

I would end up with an alt banker and maybe a few more "parked alts" for like pet trainer dailies. Nah, I'd keep them all - even if they're barely playable since they're wearing junk (looks nice since they DO transmog crappy greens and blues) XD
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
So you're saying I'd be able to socket my bracers, embroider my cloak, use engineering tinkers, get my haste bonus, stamina bonus, extra good gems, improved crit chance, cheap leg armor, enchanted rings, and more, all on one toon?

W00t

(In all seriousness I'm wondering how the profession bonuses would work)

I think a nice medium would be if they could let you pick up a 3rd profession, that would reduce the number of alts needed at least.
Edited by Hegemon on 3/20/2013 8:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Troll Druid
This wouldn't really reduce alts I don't think, there would still be cooldowns, and the 3 alchemy schools, 2 engineering schools, etc. This might prompt some crazies to level 600 on every one of their 2-5-10 alts to get access to all the cooldowns to pool mats.

I'm not one of the whiners who constantly complain about alt-unfriendly expansion, I'll do the rep grinds, etc, to get my alts up there. Kind of curious to see where blizz is going with this, killing alts would kill my sub, honestly.
Reply Quote
I'm with Jozie on this. I played alts from vanilla up to mists. I got 3 characters up to 90, only one of them really getting all the reputations and grinds done. Once those other 2 hit 90, I was too annoyed to even bother thinking about doing all that over again. I play one character now, I refuse to spend all my playing time doing reputation dailies
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Although it is true that I initially got started on alts because I wanted to span all the professions, my alts are now more about trying to span as many different races and classes as possible.

I currently max out every secondary profession on every alt - an alt doesn't feel max level until it's also max skill. If you give me more primary professions per character, I will likely feel obliged to do the same thing.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Are you playing your alts because you want to play them, or because you're using them to have access to additional professions?

A little bit of both. Some started out just for professions but as I had to level them up to keep professions current, I found I actually liked to play them.

Yes, even in this "alt-unfriendly" expansion I'm been having fun leveling up my alts including this Rogue and currently working on a Mage and DK.

They are probably not destined for regular raiding, but getting at least to LFR ready is definitely a possibility.

Yes it would be more efficient to have more than two profession options per character, but it probably wouldn't stop me from playing alts because well, alts are just fun.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
My current main is an enchanter (for group disenchanting) and a leatherworker (crafted gear during the burning crusade). If I transferred them to a new server, I would likely drop leatherworking for jewelcrafting.

All you really need in this game is enchanting and jewelcrafting. Provides gold for buying anything the other professions provide, helps minimize the costs of gemming / enchanting your character, and provides the 320 primary stat perk.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock

You say that like there's much use for trade chat now ;)

I'd keep all my alts just for the different classes and stories for each one, but I'd switch my professions around so that one toon had all the crafting profs and the rest were just gatherers. Just to organize things better.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
The biggest issue i see with it is that most raiders choose two professions. one for the money, two for what they can make themselves, and third for the two profession bonuses which buff there character. special sockets or special shoulder enchants. ect. If you allow a main to have access to all of these, many raiders will feel forced to level them all to get the raiding gains from them.

I personally don't have the time to manage all the alts with professions. I'm usually poor anyway so i get over it. but you can still manage to get what you need with a good guild some guild mates, and a little work on the weekends.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I'm with Jozie on this. I played alts from vanilla up to mists. I got 3 characters up to 90, only one of them really getting all the reputations and grinds done. Once those other 2 hit 90, I was too annoyed to even bother thinking about doing all that over again. I play one character now, I refuse to spend all my playing time doing reputation dailies

My first 90 did some Cloud Lotus dailies then kinda fizzled out. Then the farm work orders started and she got to revered quickly then the others popped up. Doesn't really need faction rep so back to growing herbs. My enchanter is almost 90 so she can get AC rep without doing any dailies (faster if she did but lousy mage can barely kill anything).

Faction rep building for alts is much much easier with this patch. Takes like 2 days to get Tillers exalted and you can start doing work orders when you get 16-plots ready. Simple.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]