Advice for others on Kanrethad Ebonlocke

Please note that I purposefully didn't call this a guide because it isn't, I'm not exceptionally great at writing them. I just wanted to give a few extra bits and pieces of information that helped me defeat Kanrethad that other guides I have read didn't give. This post will assume you already have some present knowledge of the fight. I also figured I would post this because some people don't need to read a whole guide, but just want someone else's point of view. However, if you do have questions on anything I don't cover, feel free to add me on Battlenet: Felhawk#1979 or just post in the forum.

It took me 2.5 days to farm for the tome, and I'll admit, about 10+ hours of wiping on Kanrethad, but I finally got my green fire. Once I finally realised a few of the things I was doing wrong, the fight was so simple I actually wanted to slap myself for making it more complicated than it needed to be.

First Phase: Use charge as much as you can here. Some guides say "only use charge when he does cataclysm" but for the first phase before imps you can ignore this. You can use it about twice before imps, and it is important to use the first charge when he is casting Curse of Ultimate Doom as it will allow you to have extra time before he places his enrage timer on you.

Edit: Demonic Gateway is no longer usable for constant threat dumping. Line of Sighting behind one of the pillars at the back of the room is the only option now :( The aggro dumping was the main success and point behind my guide... If you can't get out of line of sight before you get hit by a chaos bolt, you can sometimes live if you use Sacrificial Pact + Twilight Ward, but try to avoid this. Use your demonic circle to line of sight behind one of the pillars. Make sure not to get too far away so that you can't teleport to it when he casts the chaos bolt

Imp Phase: Whilst this phase is relatively easy, some people struggle keeping up with the damage. Use demonic gateway at the start of the phase, and get your pit lord to use Fel Flame Breath on them to pick up threat. This way the first of the imps attack your pitlord and not you. Shadow fury the remainder and burn them down quickly using Fire and Brimstone + Immolate/Incinerate/Conflagrate and Fel Flame Breath when you can.

Everyone's favourite, most difficult yet easiest phase: The Felhunters. I say its the most difficult yet easiest phase at the same time because it is the only phase that was causing me grief for those long 10+ hours. Though once I understood what to do, it was the easiest part of the fight by far (even more so than the imps). It is super important that you do NOT
use the demonic gateway threat reduction before a felhunter phase. This will wipe you, and you will cry. Everyone says "move the pitlord to blah blah blah, run to blah blah blah." NO! Drop everything that makes this phase more difficult than it needs to be. Stahp.

All I did for the felhunter phase was leave the Pitlord on Kanrethad, and they should be slightly to the right of the portal. Hit Soul Shatter to drop threat on Kanrethad, then run to the left of the portal, but a bit further than what they were. Drop rain of fire on the portal, pop Sacrifical Pact and stand still. Yes, stand still. Burn the fel hunters, and thats it. Only move backwards (yes, backpedal. Backpedal isn't always bad) when the Rain of Fire is put on you because it might be too much damage with the felhunters hitting you as you will not be kiting them. That is literally how simple the phase is. If you find the Pit Lord does get taken off by the Felhunters, just move further back, or more at an angle so that then the Felhunters run at you they are facing directly away from the Pitlord.

Doomlord (Or Doomguard? Can't remember) phase: Don't banish, don't fear. Get the Pitlord to Fel Fire Breath on them, or attack them if it is on cooldown. Thats it :) If you don't hit them and keep using Demonic Gateway on cooldown they will never attack you.

If you were like me and had the third imp phase at around 20% ish HP, the fight is over. Cast rain of fire on the imps to gain infinite Embers, pop defensive cooldowns, and spam Shadowburn on the boss. Win. If you are having trouble with the enrage timer, bring Purification Potions to dispel the curse when it gets low on time. Only do this if you think you will beat him as you can only do it once per fight, so don't do it too early.

The glyphs I used were:
Major: Siphon Life, Fear (for if the Pitlord did get unenlaved some how and I needed to CC it) and Healthstone.
Minor: Only important one is Glyph of Enslave Demon.

Hopefully this thread helped you with some of the phases, if not feel free to ask away. I don't post very often on the forums, so this was probably poorly done xD If so, sorry.
Edited by Felhawk on 9/25/2013 6:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I just wiped on it for the first time and am too tired to try again today. I am keeping this post up to study tomorrow after work. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks for taking the time to write it up.
Reply Quote
No worries :D I thought I would try and help others avoid the horror I went through D:

OH! That reminds me. The most potent thing that was screwing me over was keeping the Enslave Demon refreshed (I know, I'm a retard) but this is what wiped me for hours. I thought the fel hunters were eating it, but they weren't. Always remember to refresh the Pitlord Enslave in the first Doomlord phase! While he is busy summoning it, dismiss your pet, shadow fury it and enslave it again and then it won't run out for the rest of the fight :) Good luck
Reply Quote
Nah. If you fear it you risk it lasting too long and then it'll be feared when you enslave it for cataclysm and you won't be able to charge. Also, if you don't have the Pitlord up and you some how have aggro on the boss during the Felhunter phase (which you won't if you used Soul Shatter), you can't use sacrifical pact. Well, you can but you won't survive the chaos bolt without the Pitlord's Sac.
Edited by Felhawk on 3/20/2013 1:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
this method works REAL well, but by the time i get to the second set of fel hounds, somehow even turned away from pit lord they still manage to despell him, not sure if i did something wrong or a slight bug
Edited by Feelthewrath on 3/20/2013 2:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
by the second phase of felhunters your enslave will "wear" off you need to dismiss / re-enslave the pit lord during the doom lord phase.
Reply Quote
by the second phase of felhunters your enslave will "wear" off you need to dismiss / re-enslave the pit lord during the doom lord phase.

No thats not it, middle of my screen it says its been despelled.

Still with this method I've gotten him down to 37%, ill try again tomorrow since i nabbed some jade pots from a friend, i can tell i finally have this fight
Edited by Feelthewrath on 3/20/2013 3:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Only use the jade pots if you can meet the enrage timer which you easily should because I did with my gear and its not the best. I don't know what to say about the dispelling, it didn't happen to me with this method. Just try different positions buddy! Glad my tips have helped you though
Reply Quote
Also Erig I mentioned that in my last comment :p
Reply Quote
Like I've said previously as well, feel free to add me on Battlenet if there is anything in the guide you wanted to clarify or needed to ask more about other phases or my approach to things.

I'm pretty much always on when I'm not working, on at Australian times.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Also, if you don't have the Pitlord up and you some how have aggro on the boss during the Felhunter phase (which you won't if you used Soul Shatter), you can't use sacrifical pact. Well, you can but you won't survive the chaos bolt without the Pitlord's Sac.

Pretty sure even with the Pit Lord enslaved, SacPac uses your HP, not the Lord's.

-Whenever I used SacPac I'd lose 1/4 of the health, with the Lord enslaved, or not...
-That's the reason you want to be 100% health (or close to it) when you SacPac if choosing to soak Chaos Bolts
-If SacPac used the Pit Lord's HP, the bubble you'd get would get smaller, and smaller throughout the fight, as it's current HP dropped, which is not the case.
-Fearing the Pit Lord is a viable strategy, you just need to hit it with a conflag or Incinerate (not Immolate, it normally won't do enough damage) to break the fear before re-enslaving.
-If choosing to fear the Pit Lord, I recommend the glyph of fear, to avoid oor problems with enslave.
Edited by Cerenitie on 3/20/2013 8:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It doesn't >_< I did the fight with that happening. I am 100% sure it took his health. I SAW it go down. Some of the attempts the pitlord was even reaching dangerously low health when I kept over using it.

Also, whilst fearing is a viable option it CAN be unreliable. You absolutely do not have time to worry about attacking the pit lord in those phases. You will be hitting the fel hounds or wanting him out ASAP for cataclysm. Note, I also did recommend the glyph of fear for if such an occasion did arise and you managed to pull it off.

I did this fight for 10+ hours I think I know that SacPac works. I also tried using SacPac at 100% hp with twilight ward WITHOUT a pet, and I died. SEVERAL TIMES. So yes, SacPac works with Pitlord.
Edited by Felhawk on 3/20/2013 8:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Ok guys seriously we have enough green fire threads already. Stop clogging up the forums with new threads when we already have 58718663981 talking about the same thing.

Well sorry for helping the community >_> I didn't want to post in someone else's because generally people just put up guides, and some people don't want full on guides.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
It doesn't >_< I did the fight with that happening. I am 100% sure it took his health. I SAW it go down. Some of the attempts the pitlord was even reaching dangerously low health when I kept over using it.

I can claim that I'm 100% certain that my health dropped 1/4 every time I used SacPac(and not from mob damage as I had a rolling Life Siphon bubble that remained intact... last I checked mobs cant damage my HP without breaking my shield), just as easily as you can claim that you are 100% certain that the Lord lost HP... end of the day, neither of us have proof (and can't get any now having killed him), so we'll each believe what we want to believe, not gonna argue when neither of us have anything other than our own observations as "proof"

But if as you said the Lord was almost dead by the end of the fight, using SacPac (which uses current health to create a bubble, not max) would net a very small bubble, and likely result in you being unable to soak damage near the end of the fight due to the Pit Lord no longer having enough current health. I was able to soak every Choas Bolt throughout the entirety of the fight (I'm bad at LoS'ing due to KJC snare), even those Chaos Bolts which hit me when the Lord was not controlled. (yes, I realize the hypocrisy of saying I'm not going to argue, and then posting this paragraph... sorry >.>)

Not saying for 100% certainty that you are wrong, just saying its not what I seemed to observe... guess the easiest way to see otherwise outside of this fight, would be to go enslave a random demon and use SacPac and see what happens.

Edit: Just thought, might depend on which Grimoire you use? I used GoSac... spells might behave differently with different Grimoires, the same way that Soul Link gives you 20% extra HP with GoSac (and shares life with your demon otherwise), using GoSac might force SacPac to use the player's HP even with an enslaved demon?... Iunno, just a theory of a possibility that would account for both observations (assuming you used GoServ or GoSup).
Edited by Cerenitie on 3/20/2013 9:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Yes sac pact uses YOUR health. The pit lords health siphon uses some of his health to heal you. If you glyph health funnel it'll heal the pit lord for an !@# load.
Edited by Iscariah on 3/20/2013 10:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I respect your opinion Cerenitie, you may be right. I don't know, but from what I experienced thats what happened. Thats all I can say! I didn't need to use SacPac much towards the end of the fight, so I couldn't really test the bubble getting smaller. But it didn't seem to be taking my hp at all when I did it. Who knows, maybe I was freaking out too much to notice.

Iscariah, why are you being so hostile? Okay, even if I was wrong about the SacPac thing that doesn't mean I don't understand the mechanics of the fight. I'm just TRYING to help people. If it doesn't work for them, then I apologise. Its what worked for me.

Edit:
Apologies Ceren for my earlier "I'm 100% right" attitude. It just came off that you were claiming I was out right wrong :p but all sorted, all good. Who knows! Either way, sac pac isn't even neccessarily needed with the threat dumping strat.
Edited by Felhawk on 3/20/2013 9:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Iscariah, why are you being so hostile? Okay, even if I was wrong about the SacPac thing that doesn't mean I don't understand the mechanics of the fight. I'm just TRYING to help people. If it doesn't work for them, then I apologise. Its what worked for me.
I sorry, was rough morning at work. I have food in me now and feel rather silly about my comment. I am sorry and retract my previous statement. Thank you for trying to help ppl. I've been trying to help my guildies but they get frustrated too easily and I'm not going to do the fight for them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]