What makes you heal?

90 Undead Death Knight
So today I was healing a cata heroic Deadmines on my priest and it was the first time healing has been a challenge. Does it stay that fun. Obviously some fights are easier than others and won't be as challenging but overall in raid content how is healing? What makes you do it over dps?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Theres more pressure put on healers than on the dps for progression imo. Unless you're doing farm content then yeah it stays pretty fun.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I pvp heal when pve gets boring. It's always different. Or I switch healers, I have 2 disc priests, resto druid, resto shaman, holy paladin.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Well I heal better than I do anything else in the game...

Also it's a bit of an ego stroke you know, to have 4-5+ guys on you and you wont go down. ^_~

Honestly I just love healing, thought in BG it was the most boring thing ever, and how could anyone like it, then I made my then 5 year Main a Resto Druid. Been hooked since. Made this my main first day of xpac ^_^ Love monk healing, love their added utility too.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
If there's a single role that carries groups, it's healers. Since I can trust myself to perform well - I heal. If tanking was the most intense and demanding job, I'd do that instead. With holy priests having abilities like feather and leap, I can save people from deaths they would otherwise be unable to avoid. Ji-kun and Lei Shi fight; putting feathers down for the gust is just that little bit more I can do for the raid.

I dps'd in ICC on my hunter, was very good at it too, but it wasn't until MoP I started healing again and as I've gotten better I feel the skill cap on healing is far higher than any other role. I hadn't healed since BC on a holy pally, when I only went as far as Hyjal before swapping to hunter.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Theres more pressure put on healers than on the dps for progression imo. Unless you're doing farm content then yeah it stays pretty fun.

this, ive tried all three specs for raiding, and just enjoy the healer aspect. i enjoy the challenge/stress put on healers, its not a race to see who has the highest hps, its a group effort with the healers to keep everyone alive. when its easy you have nothing to do, but sit around and hope someone messes up :/
Reply Quote
I used to heal pvp with this toon, then I got tired of healing stupid, now I peel instead. However, I still have a holy pally and a monk that I heal with, the pally, mostly pvp, and the monk mostly pve, and I heal because I'm simply better at it than at dps, it suits me as a person, no matter what toon I'm on, I still keep an eye on people's health, and help out if needed( few of my toons are toons that can't heal)

And, yes, it's a plus that the queue times are shorter in pve, at least while leveling.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
This is the first expac of me healing anything other than farm/alt content. For every expansion for TBC onward, I'd been a tank (dps'ing on some of the 1-tank encounters). It's a really nice change of pace, and it feels like I can get the job done in a number of different ways -- when I tanked, I felt very much like there was really only one way to get a job done. You always stood here, moved here, and followed this priority for threat/mitigation.
Reply Quote
I actually switch back and forth between healing and dps often. We 2 heal most fights, so I go Shadow, but I'll gladly heal if I need to, and I usually heal LFR.

I always play a healer in every game where it's possible. I guess I just like having a crucial support role where I can keep other people alive.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I prefer PvP over PvE, and while it's fun to go around and win small skirmishes as a dps, a healer can turn the tide of an epic battle. And in order to even have epic battles in PvP you need to have healers, or everyone just dies too fast.

So that's why I heal.
Reply Quote
I run with my guild in raids as shadow but if I'm running LFD, then I prefer to heal b/c I like short queue times and I like the idea of having control over the fate of the members in the group.

There was exactly one instance where I actively insisted on healing and refused to run as DPS - heroic Halls of Reflection. I knew that I could keep myself and everyone up short of having 4 eBay'd characters in the group and given how insane that place was the first few weeks, I wasn't going to put my fate into the hands of someone else.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
back when bringing a shaman to the group was the pro way - i miss cleansing totem :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Healing, in my opinion, is the most dynamic playstyle in this game. Tanking and DPS both (for the most part) follow rotations. Healing, on the other hand, is completely different.

There's no set rotation you should follow. It's based purely on how well you adapt to the situation.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Well on that topic, how do/did you decide on the right healer?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Well on that topic, how do/did you decide on the right healer?

They all have their perks. I originally went with a disc priest because I enjoyed their shielding and offensive nature. Mind spike, mind blast, mana burn, spam mass dispel, mind control, oh such fun in pvp.

Then we lost mind spike, mind blast, mana burn, mass dispel spam, baseline mind control. It was terrible in MoP for months. It's much better now however, so I'm back to pvping with it.

I liked pving on a shaman for instant ghost wolf, all the totem effects (haven't played it in mop) wind sheer, etc. The mobilty was nice since priests have crap for that unless you are willing to give up snare removal which use to be baseline in our pvp set.

Never pvp'd with my holy pally much.

I'm currently in love with my resto druid however. The mobility coming from playing a priest is glorious, travel form, cat form, all the utility, snare escapes, and my absolute favorite: being able to travel with rogues without cramping their style. And seeing that I have yet to see a healer travel with rogues to help back cap in AV, I'm sure it's valued.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I'm a glutton for punishment and that is why I heal.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
To be completely honest with you it's the feeling of control over the entire situation/encounter. When you're in a raid and everyone counts on you to know your stuff and to keep them alive so that they can do their job, it gives you a feeling of importance and value. I've tried all rolls and I'm quite certain that I'm a healer for life. I just think some people are made for certain roles and healing is just the one that calls to me.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
I heal disc in pvp, I feel healing has a higher skill cap and as mentioned plays a large roll in whether your team succeeds or fails. Aside from that, I'll sometimes see how many people I can take on at once and try to manage my cooldowns and spells appropriately just to see how long I can survive. There's nothing like having 2 or 3 dps on you and you're unstoppable. That to me fuels me more than being a dps. Overall I feel needed and of greater significance in general
Edited by Lunchbox on 3/21/2013 5:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]