Resto Shaman - Severely Lacking in T15

90 Draenei Shaman
so we are officially 2/12! and I have to say the whole shaman have good utility thing is BS.

spirit link tot is hard to use because of how it is placed, and on the fights its useful I guess bliz decided it shouldn't work at all this tier (because of DS?). honestly I miss our cleansing tot, how was it any worse then mass dispel or the monk healing/dispelling CD? I'd have killed for something like that on horridon 10 man.

instead I'm stuck on tank healing cuz shaman raid healing is to slow and unreliable, I feel like a pally in vanilla or BC.

Most the time I'm forced to pop people up individually with greater healing wave on spread fights.

I really don't want a huge shaman rework. I just want back some of the spells that made our class awesome to be viable again.

chain heal, cleansing tot[or a new variation]...

sentry tot =3

Isn't Tidal Waves+HS better than GHW?

Tidal Waves - HS is higher HPS, but GHW is higher HPM, in particular if you have T14 2 pc. It's really personal preference which spell to use as your primary big heal. Both spells are only about 20% apart in terms of HPS vs HPM.

I use HS almost exclusively now due to having over 18,000 unbuffed Spirit (Mana battery thing). If I was at more like 11,000 Spirit and/or on a long mana intensive fight like Heroic Shek'zeer, I would switch to GHW.
Edited by Tiberria on 3/17/2013 9:36 PM PDT
90 Pandaren Shaman
I use HS almost exclusively now due to having over 18,000 unbuffed Spirit (Mana battery thing). If I was at more like 11,000 Spirit and/or on a long mana intensive fight like Heroic Shek'zeer, I would switch to GHW.

Agreed on this part, I find myself using HS a lot more than GHW now.
100 Troll Shaman
03/17/2013 10:09 PMPosted by Dezie

Agreed on this part, I find myself using HS a lot more than GHW now.

Yeah.... don't think I'm running the same amount of spirit you guys are, dunno if HS would be a good idea. Also I'm not really worried about single target HPS.

Its when the raid is getting hammered 5+ people and I don't have the kinda aoe heals that can cover them all...thats the kinda thing I'm worried about.

Single target healing, shaman are awesome maybe even the best....but I don't know many raid fights where 1 person is taking damage, and when it comes down to 2 healing you cant have a healer healing 1 person and the other healer healing 9 (obviously over exaggeration but hopefully you get my point). it just doesn't work.
90 Goblin Shaman
03/18/2013 01:03 AMPosted by Chaac
Its when the raid is getting hammered 5+ people and I don't have the kinda aoe heals that can cover them all...thats the kinda thing I'm worried about.

thats really what this thread is about. The fact that you need to heal 5 people and your choices are riptide, healing surge and greater healing wave. Given our current toolkit I prefer HS for the simple reason that its faster. The quicker I can get out each heal, the better chance that I get to the 5th person before they're dead... and thats the harsh reality of not having a toolkit that can bring up multiple people at the same time, and why our raid spots are being questioned.
90 Night Elf Druid
03/17/2013 08:13 PMPosted by Chaac
so we are officially 2/12!

Shaman are pretty good on 4 of the first 5 fights. Wait til you get past there, that is when it really all begins.
90 Troll Shaman
Blizzard is all over the place on Logs. They don't like Raidbots, because it removes context. Individual logs however have huge individual skill bias.

I'll agree that Raidbots removes context though. Especially for resto shaman. If you overheal, your shaman's output will tank. Being depended on low health targets (mastery) / not topped off targets (HoTs)... will do that.

My guess is that the behavior / specific logs of the top guilds who are already 8/12 H or higher, will have a larger impact that than raidbots will.
90 Pandaren Shaman
Years ago they said "bring the player, not the class." Looking at our own logs and looking at WoL parses, etc- this tier says completely the contrary- it kinda says...bring your disc priests and holy paladins and ditch that awful shammy :(
90 Pandaren Shaman
I'm sure blizzard doesn't even look at logs because everytime they buff or nerf a class they either overdue it or make it overpowered.. im sure when they look at these forums they will say oh lets just buff there healing wave spell.....
90 Human Paladin
I wish they'd do something about the range on chain healing.. Our Resto shaman is rerolling disc priest because he literally can't do much in this tier with all of the spreading out and movement. I literally just beacon the tank and focus heal the raid while the rshammy focuses the tanks. Seems backwards...
100 Pandaren Shaman
Chain heal is pretty bad.
Edited by Pewtz on 3/18/2013 2:05 PM PDT
90 Troll Shaman
I wish they'd do something about the range on chain healing.. Our Resto shaman is rerolling disc priest because he literally can't do much in this tier with all of the spreading out and movement. I literally just beacon the tank and focus heal the raid while the rshammy focuses the tanks. Seems backwards...
Chain Heal could have infinite bounce range but it still won't help you much on Lei Shin intermissions/P3 winds.
90 Tauren Shaman
Just throwing this out there:

Not knowing the ramifications of this, but I think that if we follow the logic of "chaining is a core mechanic of shamans" I think we can change our mastery to be a chain.

Mastery gives a % chain to all healing spells to the immediate 2 nearest members of the party raid.

this would make chain heal and its bounces that much more effective, and making each of our heals be moderately affective in all situations and not just when the doo doo hits the fan.

can even make it do a quick "chain" effect to make it pop.

Not sure how the OPness or the affect of the change would be on the servers/clients. But I always thought it strange that they wanted us to use other spells and still felt that chains were our special mechanic.
90 Pandaren Shaman
Inc Thread cap
90 Troll Shaman
Mastery gives a % chain to all healing spells to the immediate 2 nearest members of the party raid.

Would be exceedingly difficult to change resto mastery mid expac and it would probably go real bad if they did. Kind of thing needs time to test so it wouldn't even be a thought until 5.4 ptr, as i think 5.3 is a filler again. Not to mention the uproar from the pvp community. Resto pvp is in a pretty good spot hence not really seeing much input from them.

Was thinking about SWG last night and if a major reduction in it's CD would be helpful. Would be a prettyeasy fix and help on fights with a ton of movement, pretty much the last 6. MAybe knock it down to 60sec or 45 sec cd. Plus boost CH by a little bit, or just even reduce the cast time. Probably would not even need to be tweeked if it was a 1.2-5 sec cast. Just the 2.2 is too much currently.
100 Orc Shaman
Exceedingly difficult or not something needs to be done. As a core raider in a 10m guild I hate the idea of having to sit for any progression. But as it stands it looks like I will be doing more sitting than playing. Gives me time to take up knitting I suppose ;).
Last night we got a MW in and I started to go Enh full time. <.<

I'm hoping there are some changes this week's restart, but I'm not keeping my hopes up much right now. A Purification-like buff would be enough for the tier, and they can easily revert it next tier if needed.
90 Pandaren Shaman
Chain heal could definitely use a reduction in cast time because pretty much 99% of the time, while I am midcast, the raid damage has already been healed back up by the druid, monk and holy paladin in my raid group.

I was always fine with the cast time but this expac it's just too sloooow ><
This is obviously not applicable mid patch, but - what do you think a ground up rework of chain heal should look like?

The way I think about it, chain heal gets weaker with each jump since it is a current that gets expended/resisted as it travels from person to person, thus fitting in with the shaman water/lightning motif. My first suggestion would be to make the first jump have the same range as the glyphed version, and have consecutive jumps decrease in range until the last one is the non-glypged range.

My second suggestion would be to do something similar to what you would try in real life if you had a signal or that was weakening over time - a relay system. I see this happening in the following way:
If chain heal would stop bouncing at a certain target, consume a charge of tidal waves, and that target becomes a living relay. Chain heal jumps from that target at its first jump range, number of jumps, and efficacy. Cap each chain heal cast at two relays (or one, if that proves too powerful).

Obviously, I don't have much raid experience yet, so I don't know how useful a change this would be. However - it does preserve the spirit of the spell, while giving it a healing boost and a range boost, and creates a somewhat interesting dilemma about how to manage tidal waves.
100 Troll Shaman
Every day that goes by I kinda doubt any sort of hotfix will be granted to resto to keep them viable. I'm on the edge of re-rolling pally, spent a good amount of gold and justice getting my plate heirlooms up to date.

I really don't enjoy lvling, but I love my guildies and as someone who as healed since BC I know I'm holding them back.

I don't really care about HPS, I REALLY don't. Its not the numbers its the fact I have to struggle to do things most classes can do with ease because the shaman aoe toolkit is poorly designed and isn't rewarding for how difficult it is to use.

Our larger skill cap is not equal to our healing performance.

ALSO not a big fan of LOL I'm UP time to reroll. But I've been honestly waiting for a change since Ulduar. >.>. Cata was a perfect time to introduce a non stack based healing ability to shamans, but instead we got healing rain (which dont get me wrong is a fun spell). I just wish our niche wasn't so......specific?

Shaman are one of my favorite classes both in lore and game play. I don't think resto shaman are too far off from where they need to be, and one of the main reasons I've remained quiet is I love resto shaman playstyle but I've decided it doesn't matter how much I love playing I can't let it hold other people back.
Edited by Chaac on 3/19/2013 10:09 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]