When to start healing heroics?

90 Goblin Priest
Hit 90 not too long ago, I was wondering what the recommended gear lvl is to start confidently healing heroics. Right now I'm dpsing (weak healing = everyone dead, weak dps = annoying) and collecting spirit gear when the actual healer doesn't want it.

I heal as discipline, which I hear is in a pretty good spot, but I'm very average, at best.

This is off topic, but bonus points to anyone who wants to answer it too -- atonement healing. Didnt do it in cata, dont do it now...should I start? Is it losing viability to not atonement heal? And if i do, should i switch from mindbender to solace?

Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
KA
You are ilvl 440......more than geared to heal heroics. These aren't Cata level dungeons anymore.....they were being healed Day 1 by people in all green gear. You're fine now...go for it.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Yeah, MoP heroics are about as tough as Wrath heroics, so they actually aren't hard at all.

I'd take some water though and try to drink when possible since you do have pretty low spirit.

On the other questions: yes, at the very least weave Holy Fire/Solace into your spells, and use Penance offensively. Atonement healing with a 5-stack of Evangelism (or with Archangel active) is some of the most efficient healing you can do in addition to doing some extra DPS. There's also really no reason not to at least stack Evangelism, since Archangel is a very powerful cooldown.

Solace is technically better than Mindbender as far as mana returns go (for Disc), but it doesn't really matter which you pick. I like using Solace on fights with damage modifiers (which in turn buff the healing portion), but Mindbender is perfectly fine in general. I'd steer clear of FDCL though.
Edited by Swagguh on 3/11/2013 8:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
You are ilvl 440......more than geared to heal heroics. These aren't Cata level dungeons anymore.....they were being healed Day 1 by people in all green gear. You're fine now...go for it.

Oh wow, didnt expect that. Thanks! Guess I was still in Cata mode.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Yeah, MoP heroics are about as tough as Wrath heroics, so they actually aren't hard at all.

I'd take some water though and try to drink when possible since you do have pretty low spirit.

On the other questions: yes, at the very least weave Holy Fire/Solace into your spells, and use Penance offensively. Atonement healing with a 5-stack of Evangelism (or with Archangel active) is some of the most efficient healing you can do in addition to doing some extra DPS. There's also really no reason not to at least stack Evangelism, since Archangel is a very powerful cooldown.

Solace is technically better than Mindbender as far as mana returns go (for Disc), but it doesn't really matter which you pick. I like using Solace on fights with damage modifiers (which in turn buff the healing portion), but Mindbender is perfectly fine in general. I'd steer clear of FDCL though.

Thanks! Probably not gonna be that hard to change my playstyle a little bit, and if solace is any better at all I'll take it, like you said, my spirit could be better.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

Thanks! Probably not gonna be that hard to change my playstyle a little bit, and if solace is any better at all I'll take it, like you said, my spirit could be better.

Here's some math on Solace (ignore the first post, his math isn't taking into account several very important things, Caleko's is right):

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8156055767#8

Basically, Solace is much better sustained mana, while Mindbender is better burst mana (but weaker than Shadowfiend + Solace over a very small amount of time).

I'd also recommend swapping your glyphs to some combination of Penance/Holy Fire/Smite/Inner Sanctum/Weakened Soul.
Edited by Swagguh on 3/11/2013 8:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Agree there. That first weekend of heroics, I went through a lot of water. Might have been that tanks and dps were also running in quest greens and one or two quest blues.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I healed heroics with about 80% of my healing coming from atonement+divine aegis that came from offensive crits, and started doing heroics as soon as I was level 90 (I did get a full set of crafted 450 gear first though)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]