Hpally's mastery

90 Tauren Paladin
Is there a soft cap on mastery where it stops being as effective as say crit for the Holy Pally? I know im in my tank set but I have roughly 30 percent mastery, 20 percent crit, maybe 5 percent haste. Is there an ideal stat set for healing right now?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You cap at 50% of your health for shielding is my understanding. So with 390K health, the biggest shield I can have on someone is 200~k. The largest I've ever stacked on someone is 138K and I sit at 40%+ mastery in raid buffs.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Yea my bubble stacks for around 130k, and i have it maxxed when the tanks start the bosses and have a EF on both the tanks just to keep it refreshed. My bubble stacks for about 1/3 of my heal (36k holy light, 13ish k bubble). So on bigger heals like any of my crits the bubble maxes out really fast. When is it good to just keep what mastery you have and go into crit/haste? Is it possible to get 50 percent of your heal instantly into your bubble or will the DR's catch up to it before then?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Mastery is arguably the strongest secondary stat at the moment overall.

you will never reach the mastery cap on someone during a raid so its not really an issue, crit is pretty lackluster compared to it but it does have its uses for throughput and HPM and haste is really a preferential stat.

crit - unreliable throughput, good for HS procs, good HPM, terrible overheal potential
haste - good throughput, bad HPM, good if you feel you cant react quickly to boss mechanics or healing going out.

personally i like having a bit of haste to make the healing style smoother overall but its value is somewhat decreased since MoP with the improved HP generation, terrible scaling on abilities like EF and HR not scaling with haste. we have no real practical soft caps for haste.

as an addendum: i havn't tried out any sort of crit build and some people feel its underated.
Edited by Retheal on 3/12/2013 10:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I know it cata the goal was to have your HL cast at 2.15 secs or less and then it was crit all the way. Since the removal of judgement we have lost haste(arguably regen but passive went up some) That build now would make you much more responsive but you would go oom if you miss-managed anything. Plus since our heals arent hitting as hard as they once did(divine light, highest crit ive had was 140k vs my buddies disc/holy priest was 225k. Same gear lvls and spell power. That aside thanks for the mastery info
Edited by Taurseye on 3/13/2013 7:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The rewards vs payment for mastery is just cheaper than haste.

1% haste costs the same as 1.5% mastery. So when you run the math it looks something like this:

10 casts 100k (12% base mastery) each = 1,120k total healing (excluding crits)

10% haste = 1 extra cast in same amount of time, but the extra mana cost as well

11 casts 100k (12% base mastery) each = 1,232k total healing (excluding crits)

15% mastery (same gem cost as 10% haste), no additional mana cost

10 casts 100k (12%+15% total mastery) each = 1,270k total healing (excluding crits)

So basically you have a 3% advantage "raw healing" of going with mastery, and you have a mana disadvantage since you cast one more time.

Doing the same thing with 20% haste vs 30% mastery:

12 casts 100k (12% mastery) = 1,344 total healing
10 casts 100k (42% mastery) = 1,420 total healing

5.6~% raw healing advantage and the mana cost of two spell casts.

Speaking only of MATHMATICS.... not of playstyle/preference, mastery has an advantage if only from raw healing vs time and mana consumption. The tradeoff of course is when you only have 1.8 sec to heal someone and it takes 2.0 secs to get that spell off.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I see, so as with all things itll improve with gear. Once you become comfortable with your mastery you can then go into crit/haste and (tweak) yourself so that you can hit that needed 1.8 sec cast and still keep your healing up. Again thanks for this infor :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I see, so as with all things itll improve with gear. Once you become comfortable with your mastery you can then go into crit/haste and (tweak) yourself so that you can hit that needed 1.8 sec cast and still keep your healing up. Again thanks for this infor :)

Or adjust your playstyle to where you have an active absorb shield on "problem children" who are most likely to take large amounts of damage quickly, so you don't run into a 1.8 vs 2.0 situation.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]