5.2 Best Rogue Reforging and Gemming Tool

100 Gnome Rogue
Hi all,
In the past, both ShadowCraft and askmrrobot have agreed with each other on what is the best optimal reforging and gemming. I have used ShadowCraft, but when reforging to its specifications, askmrrobot said that was the right way to go as well. However recently (from around 5.1) they are disagreeing. Whenever someone asks which website is better to use, the default answer is always ShadowCraft. Askmrrobot is said to be more unreliable for rogues, and doesn't factor in the specific stat weights as well as ShadowCraft.

During 5.0, I used ShadowCraft and it was great, but lately it seems a lot more buggy and unreliable. I say this because, after hearing numerous rogues say to use ShadowCraft, I recently reforged to its specifications - only to come back 5 minutes later and it has changed its mind dramatically. Do it again, changes its mind, etc. (Sometimes even saying to reforge things which it even shows as a dramatic DPS loss.) Unlike the past, I have yet to see it telling me that the way I'm reforging is right, even when I use what it said to do 2 minutes ago. Is it just buggy now at the start of a patch, or is it a specific problem with my current gear set up or ilvl or whatever, and which is the best site to use for reforging/gemming?

Any advice would be great, thank you in advance :)
Reply Quote
100 Troll Rogue
Stat weights for mutilate are all pretty close, its possible that reforging is changing the weights to something else, and vice versa. Personally I'd trust Shadowcraft over anything else, just use whatever reforge that makes SC give the highest DPS output.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
Stat weights for mutilate are all pretty close, its possible that reforging is changing the weights to something else, and vice versa. Personally I'd trust Shadowcraft over anything else, just use whatever reforge that makes SC give the highest DPS output.

Oh yeah, I hadn't thought of that, I'll use that from now on, thank you very much for your advice :)
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Stat weights vary based on their current values, shadowcraft is going to find the most optimal setup with what you have. It is possible for it to find two local maximums, in that case, choose the the reforge that is the highest.

That said, the difference is going to be quite minor. Like less than a 10th of a percent.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
Stat weights vary based on their current values, shadowcraft is going to find the most optimal setup with what you have. It is possible for it to find two local maximums, in that case, choose the the reforge that is the highest.

The bouncing the OP is seeing isn't local maximas its two points on either side of the maximum. The reforger doesn't know that haste and crit should be basically balanced it simply looks at ep values and reforges off those. You can typically gain a very small amount of dps by hand optimizing and trying to put stats in rough balance.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
I default to shadowcraft because it updates with your current stat values instead of end game tier (which is what most of them run off of). End game is a good approximation, and I would definitely use AMR if Shadowcraft was down.

Constantly updating EP values means minor differences in overall DPS, but you don't min/max with approximations, you min/max with exacts, and when the difference can be 1%, well that can mean 1k DPS, or about half the value of a set bonus on your gear
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]