Below-standard shaman HPS?

100 Draenei Shaman
I'm a resto shaman in a casual 10 man group doing HoF, and I usually heal alongside either two holy priests or a holy priest and paladin. From what I've seen of their gear, it's relatively on par with mine. Unfortunately for me, my healing output and mana use are almost always inferior to my other healers.

I don't have anything on WoL to link to, but during the majority of the fights I usually try to bounce CH off of riptides, abuse TW, Unleash into HR, drop HST on cooldown, etc. Even so, I see my mana bar drop at a concerningly faster rate than my other healers, and usually they do better as well.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here, or did shamans get the wrong end of the stick again?
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
Are you sure you guys aren't 3 healing fights that need only 2 healers? Other healers in the group tend to effect HPS.

I know on the first boss, we 2 heal it. The majority of the fights in MV we 2 heal also.

Also, I notice you're using glyph of RT. You aren't spamming it, are you? Glyph of RT has it's uses in movement based fights- but spamming it is going to kill your mana. I only use it when I absolutely have to.

My suggestion: reforge down to about 50-55% mastery, put some into crit (for resurgence procs- returns mana). Sounds like your mastery isn't getting it's full usage.

Also here's the priority as far as stats go:

http://www.icy-veins.com/restoration-shaman-wow-pve-healing-statistics-priority-reforging
Edited by Jujubiju on 3/19/2013 9:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Well, I don't think we're familiar enough with HoF to 2 heal anything in there yet. Zorlok regrettably took us a while to get down because people were struggling with Attenuation, and Ta'yak's no easier. I think we are past the point where we can 2 heal MsV, but we haven't gotten past Elegon since we're trying to get through HoF. Then again, nothing out of MsV is an upgrade for us anymore, so there's also that.

I have been looking into changing up my glyphs, but most of the time I neglect to do so before boss pulls, so they haven't actually changed for a while. Usually I remember that I should've changed glyphs when we pull a fight that doesn't trigger WS mana procs often enough to make the glyph worth using :P
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
Well, I don't think we're familiar enough with HoF to 2 heal anything in there yet. Zorlok regrettably took us a while to get down because people were struggling with Attenuation, and Ta'yak's no easier. I think we are past the point where we can 2 heal MsV, but we haven't gotten past Elegon since we're trying to get through HoF. Then again, nothing out of MsV is an upgrade for us anymore, so there's also that.

I have been looking into changing up my glyphs, but most of the time I neglect to do so before boss pulls, so they haven't actually changed for a while. Usually I remember that I should've changed glyphs when we pull a fight that doesn't trigger WS mana procs often enough to make the glyph worth using :P

Hehe- I feel you on all of that. I change up glyphs depending on the fight myself- so yeah I know what a pain it can be to forget.

As far as reforging goes, I go for what the group composition is going to be. On this one I raid with a holy pally and a disc priest, so I try and adjust my stats for that situation (I've already accepted that I won't out heal absorb mechanics).
Edited by Jujubiju on 3/19/2013 10:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
what juju said basically, haste or crit are going to be your best stats with absorb classes depending on the fight mechanics(refer to the illustrious shaman thread that just capped for more information).

There is really only one fight in HoF that I'd even consider using RT glyph and that garalon and then again if you use the stacking strategy for garalon then definitely not. ToT is a different story, nearly 75% of the fights require heavy movement and spreading and riptide glyph actually has its uses there albeit its more for buffering the other incoming heals than doing any useful healing.

Totemic Recall glyph is a huge mana saver. As for mana efficiency, chain heal spamming is pretty weak in general even under optimal circumstances, make sure you're taking advantage of other cool downs(drop manatide ~80% mana) call for an external cool down if ones available and the other healers aren't struggling on mana. Make sure you always have mana pots/focus potions on you. Don't be afraid to lag in heals using healing waves instead of greater healing waves til you get caught up on mana a little bit either.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Thanks for the advice. I'll try to reforge for crit - Mr. Robot still leaves me around 50% mastery under the crit build and gives me a bunch more crit to work with, which is nice. I do always carry mana pots with me, but I could and probably should work on Totemic Recall timing and training myself to drop MTT earlier. With any luck my overall throughput won't take too much of a hit from this.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
Thanks for the advice. I'll try to reforge for crit - Mr. Robot still leaves me around 50% mastery under the crit build and gives me a bunch more crit to work with, which is nice. I do always carry mana pots with me, but I could and probably should work on Totemic Recall timing and training myself to drop MTT earlier. With any luck my overall throughput won't take too much of a hit from this.

Also, back during DS, I used to have a weakaura set up to yell at me when I was sitting at about 60% mana- to let me know to drop MTT. I'd never run OOM (still don't). At a certain point in gear, healing wavex2 is better than GHW and it's mana neutral at that point.

My normal rule when I raid on this one:

CH: "Are more than 3 people taking damage?"
If no: riptide one, healing wavex2 on another, riptide another one, healing wavex2 on the next
If yes: RT, CH

On HR: Is big AOE damage about to go out or are the melee about to be standing in something?
If yes: Unleash/HR
If no: I wait

On cooldowns: I use ascension first, then I use HTT, if we're stacked, I use SLT/HR/CH. Meaning, I rotate them so I always have one available when I need it. The rotation rule changes depending on the fight. For instance, the first boss in HoF- I call out for HTT on the first attenuation (I use my priest for the guild's 10m runs- but the other healer is our shaman).

Though I've learned to accept that- unless Bliz gives us another DS gimmick raid, I'm not gonna be top heals. Though I'm not worried about my HPS in that regard. I just heal cause I enjoy it (shammy heals on my goblin is fun).

By the way Theo- we're on the same server /wave.
Edited by Jujubiju on 3/20/2013 3:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Back in DS we had the OP version of TC :( i never had to worry about mana unless we were ignoring mechanics. The best thing you can do maximize your healing is to time your cool downs properly to be honest, i.e. dropping a healing rain BEFORE you pop ascendance and SLT, or if you're two healing - healing tide - healing rain - ascendance is HUGE. Don't underestimate call of the elements for a weak cool down, back to back healing streams is pretty powerful.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Thanks again for more advice. I've got another raid on my shaman tonight at 8 server so I'll see how this all plays out and report back. With any luck I'll be a little more solvent with mana on Zorlok and Ta'yak. Also /wave Jujubiju <3

I switched off of UF to PE specifically because I was using it on HR and I would often forget to use the talent buff, but I'm going to work on weaning myself off of HR spam and use UE+GHW/RT more often.

On the matter of cooldown icons, I already have WeakAuras set up to show two rows of icons, one above center for spells and the other below for totems, showing me when my various cooldowns are available, so I'm not too worried about that. I will however get TellMeWhen set up for warning me when HST starts to wind down, though.

I think what this all comes down to, though, is basically what Juju said here:

Though I've learned to accept that- unless Bliz gives us another DS gimmick raid, I'm not gonna be top heals. Though I'm not worried about my HPS in that regard. I just heal cause I enjoy it (shammy heals on my goblin is fun).
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
I two heal with a resto shaman. If the fight is easier, I tend to look more dominate on the healing meters. If the fight is harder, the shaman pulls up in the meters. My mastery is all about preventing my partner from having something to heal (unless the fight is really easy and I'm just doing atonement or so easy that I go holy and "red" not even getting the atonement heals) and her mastery is all about recovering from the biggest "oh craps".

The more that you fall into the "too much healing available for the encounter" category, the more the resto shaman is going to look bad because mastery scaling is being completely negated by everyone being full or close to full health all the time.

Shaman have the real clutch healing when it really counts (mastery) plus awesome cooldowns (ascendence, healing tide, spirit link) and utility that doesn't show on any meter (mana tide, stormlash, all the other totem goodness, heroism). Please know that other healers love healing with a resto shaman (and I wouldn't want my healing partner to be any other class).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Most important rule of mana saving - cast lots of HW.

Zorlok is actually a weird fight in that there are phases of almost no raid damage. Basically, what you want to do watch boss timers. This is a fight where I don't actually recomment HST on CD... but rather only use it when a special is used, or if the next special is >30 sec away.

Cast UL right as Force and Verve comes off CD, get in your bubble the moment it spawn, start your HR cast and pop either Asc or HTT.
Likewise, finish your HR cast on the raid right as Attune comes off CD, and when HST comes off CD don't use it until Attune begins if it is less than 30 seconds away. HST while running-dodging is AMAZING.
Also, finish your HR cast right BEFORE convert comes off CD. Capacitor totem here is pretty baller. SLT can also save lives here as people get focused by convert or have too many dots on them by reckless dpsers.
But when the raid doesn't need healing just pad the tank / exale target with HW.

Personally, I love PE as a talent... I actually use the Fire Ele for dps and only link it for really heavy damage bursts.

Blade Lord my advice is this... make sure ranged doesn't hit each other with the dot (or the melee for that matter). And people are close enough to the boss that when he casts his "shadowstep-cleave" everyone can get stacked. On the final phase you have to run with the wind twice. Heal up for a second before heading down the first way, drop HTT half way down, when boss hits 12% pop asc-HR and do massive AoE heals to get everyone topped off, use SWG and HST on the way back.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I have been healing with my resto shaman for a while now and with the new patch 5.2 that has come out i am utterly outraged with the healing numbers as far as output goes. i know that we are mainly raid healers but i remember in bwd when i was a main tank healer for quite a few fights. i am around 500 ilvl and im going oom and not able to keep up with the healing numbers in TOT. im adv around 35 and 40k hps in encounters where pallys and priests are at 60k adv. we have some of the best raid cd's but healing stream totem place and forget has gone away. and our single target heals are just plain weak or to mana coustly. i try not to even chain heal now because its not worth the mana. in 10 mans i cannot use healing rain for most of the fights because everyone is spread out. i can go on complaining but something needs to be done. make HST a place and forget or give us less cast time on some of our longer heals or something. i am getting by passesd and kicked out of tot raids because my healing # are to low. (an i know that its not a #'s game with healers its if everyone can stay alive but when people die because they stand in aoe for to long they blame it on the healers). i love healing and i love being a shammy please give us something to compete with priests and pallys throughput in 5.2 so i can go back to having fun healing and not having people pissed at me bacasue im not pulling good enough numbers. does anyone else feel this way?
(note i play my class very well. its not an experiance thing why i cant keep up. its a shaman nurf that is killing me)

i posted this to another thread but im glad someone else feels the same way that i do
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Well, here's the thing. I didn't create this thread to complain about resto shaman healing. I wanted to troubleshoot my own and get some more use out of my mana. But I digress.

So, back to tonight's raid. We ended up doing MsV as an attempt to derp-check the raid group (and no, not giving names on who's in it) since we're 7/16 on T14 (Spirit Kings, Ta'yak and Protectors) and we're geared enough by now, especially with the 10% nerf on T14 content, to be farther by this point.

Even though we outgeared the content, I still thought I was both being more competitive and more efficient, now that I'm not using HR on cooldown and that I'm picking my HST's back off the ground at <1s. In particular, I was keeping up with my holy paladin partner on Feng 2-heal while being considerably more stable on mana, though I think he's still slightly out of practice from a long break he took.

While I still haven't had the chance to check my new healing paradigm on HoF content, I like where this is all going. Plus, I think I had forgotten that I rolled a shaman to have a bag of tricks a full mile deep, and I was worried too much about being a class I wasn't :)
Edited by Theolo on 3/21/2013 8:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]