Treasure Room is Far Too Confusing

90 Pandaren Monk
This is how I see the treasure room:

Indiana Jones walks into it.

Scans the room, finds tons of treasure.

He knows he can't pick everything up, he has to look for things literally out of the ordinary to take back.

Takes it, and runs before the rooms caves in on itself.

Now...
The regular chests are the regular treasure.
The golden chests are the extraordinary ones.

Problem is, they don't feel extraordinary at all. You get a whole feeling of meh when you don't at least a burial key or ritual stone.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
03/13/2013 05:22 PMPosted by Okuu
Blizzard could include dog poop in a bag in the deluxe edition and many of those posting here would be defending how wonderful that was.

Blizz could include a bar of solid gold in every box, and many people would be whining about how heavy it was.

Nah. I would pay twice the normal cost of a CE for that, especially at today's gold price!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
03/13/2013 02:58 PMPosted by Bashiok
I think a week lockout for a five minute run is excessive.

There's no lockout. You can run it for as many keys as you have, and you can find more than one key per week, although it is suitably rare.

Considering the whole idea is you're heading into a treasure room, and we want it to feel exciting that you're able to come out with a bunch of treasure, yeah of course we're not going to let you chain-run it and just get tons and tons of gold and tons and tons of items. We'd have to reduce the amount of treasure you can find considerably, which really undermines the entire fantasy of being in a treasure room.

I mentioned in my first post that it was restricted to one week, with the possible exception of those very lucky with a rare drop. (Even that first key, which has a much higher chance of dropping comparatively, still might not drop for someone - I did all the dailies every day of the week and killed tons of rares, and only got my first key at the very end of the week).

The change in drop rate functions as an effective lockout. It's not exactly like other lockout mechanics, and there is a possibility of exception, but I think it's reasonable to consider it just like other lockouts. Once you've gotten one key, you would probably waste tremendous amounts of time if you set your sights on getting a second key each week.

Also, when you said you're not going to let people chain run it to get tons and tons and tons of items, you make it sound like that was what I suggested. My feeling is that the scenario is punishingly short to become familiar with on what is effectively a once a week basis FIVE MINUTE event.

What I would have done is allow a person to zone into the scenario, but then be able to take a "practice" option where you get no rewards. When Blizzard's people did internal testing on this stuff, I'm sure it felt like a lot more fun. They probably did not wait a week between each time they tested it out. I think it's extremely easy to forget how SHORT five minutes is and how LONG a week is in real time.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
03/13/2013 03:03 PMPosted by Amyiss
Blizzard could include dog poop in a bag in the deluxe edition and many of those posting here would be defending how wonderful that was.

Better than complaining that the bag wasn't easy enough to open, really.

Hey, they could do like how some other games do, and have lockboxes with chances for awesome loot drop like rain... but require keys to open them that can only be bought with real-money in their official store.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SoF
03/13/2013 01:35 PMPosted by Jessebella
So, did you ever find yourself writing Nintendo as a child, mad that the Snorlax was blocking your path?

YES.

How the hell was I supposed to know the freaking guards needed fresh freaking water?

But he was thirsty!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I wish they had a practice room or something you could mess around in to practice your pattern. I don't mind it being once a week, but not being able to practice for the next time you go through is kind of a shame.

Why do people think you need to finish everything the first week. This will be áctive´ content for at least 2 or 3 more months. We will be doing quests on that island for a long time.

I only did it once, found the lever no problem but wasted a lot of time trying to jump for chests that can´t be reached.

I have my second key today, but haven´t run it the second time yet. I am SURE that I will get a lot more treasure this time. And I bet next week I can get even more..

After 8-12 weeks, I am sure I will be able to finish it. Why do you want a ´practice´ one so you grind your brains out this week, and then just not have anything new to experience next week? Not everything has to be finished the first week it is released.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I almost for a page or so thought he might be serious....

Now I'm convinced. 100% Troll.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Too much to read, but if you're wondering what to do, I came out on my first attempt with 480g, which I think is pretty good. I made a video showing everything I did.

>> http://www.youtube.com/WoWisSerious <<

Ahh, self promotion!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
It wasn't clear to me how much time I had. I had a timer, but it was just numbers to me
Reply Quote
Community Manager
The change in drop rate functions as an effective lockout. It's not exactly like other lockout mechanics, and there is a possibility of exception, but I think it's reasonable to consider it just like other lockouts. Once you've gotten one key, you would probably waste tremendous amounts of time if you set your sights on getting a second key each week.

Also, when you said you're not going to let people chain run it to get tons and tons and tons of items, you make it sound like that was what I suggested. My feeling is that the scenario is punishingly short to become familiar with on what is effectively a once a week basis FIVE MINUTE event.

For sure, and that's all reasonable. You can say "once a week" and be mostly correct, my intent was to correct a common misconception that it's literally 1 key per week. You can argue it's close enough, but my goal is accuracy in information.

What I would have done is allow a person to zone into the scenario, but then be able to take a "practice" option where you get no rewards. When Blizzard's people did internal testing on this stuff, I'm sure it felt like a lot more fun. They probably did not wait a week between each time they tested it out. I think it's extremely easy to forget how SHORT five minutes is and how LONG a week is in real time.

I think it's reasonable to expect a tutorial or practice run on everything in the game, because in general we're fairly experience-focused with everything we do. We tend to go away from punishing mechanics, we try to make things clear and concise, and we want the experience to be fun at every moment. That said, this is running into a room of free stuff to pick up, and even if you only open three of four chests, that's three or four chests of free stuff for 5 minutes of just running around. Obviously at the end of that you may be frustrated that you didn't do better, but I don't think that means we need to rush out and make a tutorial. It's ok that you didn't do well your first time. Next time you'll do better. It's free stuff. It's supposed to be high-tension, and everyone that goes in thinks they can do better next time. Letting people discover how something works is OK sometimes, not everything needs a tutorial, especially when it's a piece of content for level-capped characters that's essentially for fun and doesn't directly increase the power of your character.
Edited by Bashiok on 3/13/2013 7:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I spent my entire first run in the first room and came out with over 400g, ~24 parchments, around 15 motes of harmony, 3 Shan'ze stones, 15 Elder Charms, and a few greens.

Potentially not the most lucrative strategy, but really cleaning up that first room and then of course finding keys to open the chests at the end after time runs out worked pretty well.

...wow.

I opened all but 2 chests in the first room. Couldn't figure out where to go when I got to the end, so I just went back and got the ones I'd skipped. I got a total of: 3 elder charms and a lot of gold.

Of course, I've also gone 0 for 12 in LFR this week. I think my random number generator is broken.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
The fun thing about soloing old instances is that you get to take your time and take in the atmosphere and the artwork. You notice a lot of things that you miss out when you were doing it with a group because in a group it's "gogogogo".

So what did you guys do with the game's very first "solo scenario"? You added a timer ...

But ... it's not supposed to be like soloing old instances. :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I like the idea actually, this scenario itself is not going anywhere and I got a bigger haul this week compared to last week. And once you unlock more of the items bought with elder charms you have even more of an edge to get better. Just another thing to get excited for each week. If it was any longer or easily accessable the novelty of the place would wear off pretty quickly.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I spent my entire first run in the first room and came out with over 400g, ~24 parchments, around 15 motes of harmony, 3 Shan'ze stones, 15 Elder Charms, and a few greens.

Potentially not the most lucrative strategy, but really cleaning up that first room and then of course finding keys to open the chests at the end after time runs out worked pretty well.

...wow.

I opened all but 2 chests in the first room. Couldn't figure out where to go when I got to the end, so I just went back and got the ones I'd skipped. I got a total of: 3 elder charms and a lot of gold.

Of course, I've also gone 0 for 12 in LFR this week. I think my random number generator is broken.

Hah! Well... yeah maybe I just got lucky. Haven't done my run this week, and now I'm getting nervous. ;)
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Troll Priest

...wow.

My run this week was just as bad as yours. :( I didn't find the lever until 20 seconds were left on the timer. I was sad.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
03/13/2013 02:58 PMPosted by Bashiok
I think a week lockout for a five minute run is excessive.

There's no lockout. You can run it for as many keys as you have, and you can find more than one key per week, although it is suitably rare.

Considering the whole idea is you're heading into a treasure room, and we want it to feel exciting that you're able to come out with a bunch of treasure, yeah of course we're not going to let you chain-run it and just get tons and tons of gold and tons and tons of items. We'd have to reduce the amount of treasure you can find considerably, which really undermines the entire fantasy of being in a treasure room.

The only way to get one after the first one of the week is from the daily quest reward cache and that is like 4% isn't it? I think I have seen people able to get two from getting one from a mob first and then from a chest second but I have yet to confirm if that is possible, if it is then something should be fixed because getting one from a chest stops the possibility to get one from a mob.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]