Power word: shield - bug or intended?

85 Gnome Priest
I'm wondering if it's a bug (or just a tooltip bug) - my disc priest's PW:S tooltip says "absorbs 34544 damage. When I actually cast it on myself, the buff says "absording 27635 damage" (this is about 20% less than the tooltip). Note that this is without the glyph - with the glyph it healed me for about 5.3K and the buff said absorbing somewhere around 22k+. Am I missing something?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Bug. Disc is using holy's spell thing.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I believe it is a tooltip error, but we've yet to get anyone to acknowledge it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Tooltips just give the base amount on them and anything else from talents is added on after. It should be absorbing the correct amount though. Check your combat logs.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Tooltips just give the base amount on them and anything else from talents is added on after. It should be absorbing the correct amount though. Check your combat logs.

I think you're misunderstanding what's happening.

If the tooltip says 100, Discs are seeing their PW:S go out for 82, and if fully consumed, absorb for 82.

(I'm using completely fictitious numbers to illustrate the situation, for any who aren't clear on that count ;)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I can say with absolute certainty it's a tooltip error. Disc PW:S is absorbing exactly what it's supposed to absorb. The tooltip isn't reflecting the mastery change yet and it's still showing the absorb value based on the old mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
The tooltips on the castbar is showing an inflated/wrong number. The tooltip on the PWS icon on the portrait is closer to the correct one.

For example, my castbar tooltip says 95K absorb, while my portrait tooltip says 76K absorb. After testing with mobs beating me, it turns out 76K is the correct number.

However, during my tests, there were a couple of cases the shield only absorbed 65Kish and procced Rapture. Probably needs more samples to figure out if it is bugged sometime.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I can say with absolute certainty it's a tooltip error. Disc PW:S is absorbing exactly what it's supposed to absorb. The tooltip isn't reflecting the mastery change yet and it's still showing the absorb value based on the old mastery.

I thought PW:S was getting a buff or something, since they wanted disc to use it more. Self-buffed, my priest is absorbing maybe 5-10% less than what i was in 5.1
Reply Quote
I thought PW:S was getting a buff or something, since they wanted disc to use it more. Self-buffed, my priest is absorbing maybe 5-10% less than what i was in 5.1

Their Mastery got changed to give a +healing bonus, while reducing the +absorbs component, resulting in PW:S losing some power from Mastery compared to 5.1
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

It also couldn't crit in 5.2 and it cost significantly more mana. In most situations it averages out to being a larger absorb in 5.2 when you account for crit shields.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
03/15/2013 07:07 PMPosted by Korghal

Their Mastery got changed to give a +healing bonus, while reducing the +absorbs component, resulting in PW:S losing some power from Mastery compared to 5.1

Additionally, the amount of base mastery you have just for being in Disc spec, naked, has been nerfed.

Your PW:S will *definitely* be shielding for quite a noticeable amount less than pre-5.2; the buff Blizz gave it is twofold:

1) lessened the mana cost. Non-tanks don't always need a 5.1-strength PW:S, and with DA *plus* SS and the "nerfed" 5.2 PW:S, non-tanks are still very well-shielded by a skilled Disc priest.

2) Transformed glyph of... is it Inner Sanctum? Anyway, they took one glyph and made it into Glyph of Weakened Soul. For any fight where you'll be heavily using PW:S, you can now equip the glyph, which lessens the duration of WS by 2 seconds, meaning you can reapply PW:S to players faster, without having eaten away at the debuff with SoS heals.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
03/15/2013 07:59 PMPosted by Ellarix

Additionally, the amount of base mastery you have just for being in Disc spec, naked, has been nerfed.

Your PW:S will *definitely* be shielding for quite a noticeable amount less than pre-5.2; the buff Blizz gave it is twofold:

1) lessened the mana cost. Non-tanks don't always need a 5.1-strength PW:S, and with DA *plus* SS and the "nerfed" 5.2 PW:S, non-tanks are still very well-shielded by a skilled Disc priest.

2) Transformed glyph of... is it Inner Sanctum? Anyway, they took one glyph and made it into Glyph of Weakened Soul. For any fight where you'll be heavily using PW:S, you can now equip the glyph, which lessens the duration of WS by 2 seconds, meaning you can reapply PW:S to players faster, without having eaten away at the debuff with SoS heals.

This all sounds nice, but lately when things go sower in a boss fight i feel like i just dont have enough oomph in an aoe type crisis. my abosrbs arn't enough and on top of that my attonement crits are doing less than the non-crits which is really screwing me over because i cant control the crits
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
Right, because Disc was nerfed (and supposed to be nerfed) in 5.2.

You have other healers for a reason, you know.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Really, i just feel like i need divine hymn
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Right, because Disc was nerfed (and supposed to be nerfed) in 5.2.

You have other healers for a reason, you know.

I dont want to feel like i'm helpess either
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
This all sounds nice, but lately when things go sower in a boss fight i feel like i just dont have enough oomph in an aoe type crisis. my abosrbs arn't enough and on top of that my attonement crits are doing less than the non-crits which is really screwing me over because i cant control the crits

Correct; you're in the damage prevention business, not the healing-up-damage business ;) They've fixed the Atonement-crit bug though... haven't they?

<--- Wrath/Cata Disc priest main

You're to do everything you can to prevent the other healers from having any healing to do in the first place, for the most part. The other healers mop up anything you weren't able to prevent.
Edited by Ellarix on 3/15/2013 9:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
well poh works diff now, so DA expire more often, and i havnt reasonably given pw:s spamming a good try again
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
Disc is far from helpless. Far, far, FAR from helpless.

And jesus, no, disc does not need DH.
well poh works diff now, so DA expire more often
DA has the same timer as before, 15 seconds. Sure, every PoH is not a guaranteed DA, but if you need guaranteed absorbs on the raid then you use SS or Inner Focus, or blow your mana on PWS.

It's a nerf. It was meant to be a nerf. It was a nerf because 5.1 Disc was WAY over the top.
Edited by Kangamooster on 3/15/2013 9:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Disc is fine, play better.
Reply Quote
Really, i just feel like i need divine hymn

But you really don't.

Nor are you.

Disc played correctly is still very solid. Not broken like in 5.1, but still ahead of MW/Druid/Shaman and on par with Paladins. There is less DA around compared to before, but that is made up by being able to have more liberal use of PW:Shield. Spamming it 24/7 like in Wrath is not possible, but you can still do a high ammount of absorbption through good use of it. And if you really feel like PW:S 'spam' is in need because SS is on CD, you can use PI and spread some bubbles around.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]