The Assault on Zeb'tula

At first I thought a solo instance was kind of cool. Then I did it.

UGH!

Totally reliant on marginal self heals or else rack up a big repair bill since the 'boss' mobs will be alive when you get back. Long, LONG, boring ( and/or frustrating) fights take a seemingly fun idea and kill it dead, dead, DEAD! What truly sucks is that it seems there will be no way to avoid having to do this quest (or others like it that may follow as the the area gets opened up) on alts if you want to get them geared up.

I was really hopeful that 5.2 would bring some fun ways to gear up into the game, but it just seems like there is... or might be, except you have to crawl through broken glass to get to it, and even then it come with salt sprinkles......
Reply Quote
TIL rogues can't heal marginally.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
There's some potions scattered around that put a 5%/second heal on you

IMO, getting a bunch of elder charms and coining every boss is a fun way to gear up
Edited by Digerati on 3/16/2013 11:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Is that the stage 1 opener scenario?

I've rolled through it on lock/dk/warrior, and my dk is crap geared.

Great way to get charms for alts.

Did a normal terrace on my lock and coined loot off 3 bosses

19 charms on my DK from one key, maybe I can get it past vaults now
Edited by Ðemolition on 3/16/2013 11:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
99 Troll Rogue
TIL rogues can't heal marginally.

Rogues lack burst healing which can make recovering from a mistake somewhat more difficult then most other classes. Compared to my monk who is almost 30 ilvls below my rogue soloing in general is far easier on my monk unless I am using the degenerate ST+DT build on my rogue.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Rogues lack burst healing which can make recovering from a mistake somewhat more difficult then most other classes. Compared to my monk who is almost 30 ilvls below my rogue soloing in general is far easier on my monk unless I am using the degenerate ST+DT build on my rogue.

but you make up for it with evasion, smoke bomb, stuns, blind, and vanish, so you don't take the damage in the first place.

Not to mention sprinting away w/ crippling is really useful in scenarios
Edited by Azane on 3/17/2013 12:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
99 Troll Rogue
but you make up for it with evasion, smoke bomb, stuns, blind, and vanish, so you don't take the damage in the first place.

Not to mention sprinting away w/ crippling is really useful in scenarios

For soloing vanish is useless, thats arguably one of the big problems, rogue solo survivability is pretty heavily built on the idea that rogues are slippery but in a solo situation quite often we really aren't. For instance the direhorns on the isle of giants, the triple puncture isn't dodgable, I can dodge every other melee swing but triple puncture will kill me unless I kill the direhorn first.

Recup and other new tools have extended rogue survivability but fundamentally rogues soloing still basically operate on rush down, pop your cds and kill the target before he kills you. You can say that is true of most classes broadly speaking but its much more pronounced as a rogue, if I screw something up I'm probably in trouble whereas on my monk if I do something stupid expel harm+chi wave can probably stabilize the situation.

Further I don't think, again comparing with my monk, that rogues do have many more tools to prevent damage. My monk can kite quite effectively with disable, roll and FSK, he can stun far more effectively then my rogue with leg sweep and FoF. He has paralysis for hard cc, diffuse magic for magic damage and ToK and Fortifying Brew for other damage.

I'm not going to say that the scenario the OP was talking about was hard but rogues do have a very weak soloing toolkit compared to other classes.
Reply Quote
I appreciate the helpful comments. Despite being level 90 I find there are still a TON of tricks I either just don't know and haven't figured out or that just do not occur to me during a fight. In fights that you do over and over (heroics/scenarios/raids) I eventually have things down by the 3rd or 4th time I do a fight, but first time out, I'm the guy that died because he realized he was in the fire and went the wrong way. 8^/
Regarding using coins on rolls from boss fights, I can testify that it NOT a guarantee of anything except gold since that's been my default win both before and after 5.2 on multiple toons.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
Done it on 3 characters and didn't seem to hard. My warrior got a bit low at one point but one of the pots that are sitting around was enough to get him through.
Reply Quote
Done it on 3 characters and didn't seem to hard. My warrior got a bit low at one point but one of the pots that are sitting around was enough to get him through.

well, you are better at locating them then I am. I gave up on finishing with my druid, he's gonna be dead until I feel like trying that again or I need a leatherworker, whichever comes first. I think I've died on the big troll fight every time I've done it...maybe with the exception of pally who did as prot and the fight took forever with getting bounced around and pulling adds
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I suggest you replace Cheat Death with Leeching Poison.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
03/17/2013 05:38 AMPosted by Snid

well, you are better at locating them then I am. I gave up on finishing with my druid, he's gonna be dead until I feel like trying that again or I need a leatherworker, whichever comes first. I think I've died on the big troll fight every time I've done it...maybe with the exception of pally who did as prot and the fight took forever with getting bounced around and pulling adds

Come on, I did it on my crap geared warrior, and my wife did it on her Boomkin. My wife is terrible on her Boomkin. If she can do it, you can do it. There are these things called mechanics that you have to look out for and not stand in them. Turn your spell detail up if you need to to see the animations of the attacks before they happen. Don't just rush into the fight, look around and see where the potions are before pulling and plan accordingly.

And for the love of good spec into Leeching Poison . . .

It is obvious you never did the solo quests for the Legendary in Cataclysm, those were far harder than this scenario.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I did this without ever healing, or dropping below 75% health on 2 different toons. get out of stuff, get in the bubble when he does his abilities, then drag him out of the bubble to kill him.

I found out the hard way, while he is in the bubble he takes something like 75% reduced damage. First time I killed him in there the whole time...second time was a breeze.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
I did it on my rogue when he was 451 ilvl. It was easy. Like seriously easy, you just stun the bosses when DR is off, stand in the bubble on last boss. I really don't know how anyone that is halfway decent at this game would have any trouble with it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Click the potions sitting around. Non-issue.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Rogue is no problem - dot it up, Blind , bandage, regen. It's far far easier than the rogue solo event for the legendary daggers. You say you don't know your class that well, I'd guess you are under-using Blind and Gouge. Gouge on CD is a great way to regain energy (if you don't need to save its CD for an interrupt), and Blind gives you time to bandage (twice).
Edited by Autumni on 3/17/2013 2:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
Click the potions sitting around. Non-issue.
Reply Quote
I did it on my rogue when he was 451 ilvl. It was easy. Like seriously easy, you just stun the bosses when DR is off, stand in the bubble on last boss. I really don't know how anyone that is halfway decent at this game would have any trouble with it.

You said it yourself: You really don't know. You do not live in anyone's skin except your own, so please do not judge. If you did it and it didn't seem hard, well...that's YOU.

To the other folks with actual suggestions, thank you very much. I tend to forget about a LOT of things when I'm in the middle of a (for me) tricky fight, ESPECIALLY when it's the first time doing it on any given toon. This toon has never been this progressed in any expansion (forget about the rogue legendary quest! I did all of Dragon Soul on LFR ONCE. EVER.) Oh, I am specced into leeching poison. Doesn't that show in Armory?? Up until MoP as he's spent years as a bank alt, so most quests I've ever done I'd done 5 to 10 times on other toons before getting to them on this guy. I got through this fight on this toon with some challenges, what I really dread is doing it on squishier toons.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
03/17/2013 09:36 PMPosted by Snid
Oh, I am specced into leeching poison. Doesn't that show in Armory??

It does now.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
Snid, you're getting a lot of snotty responses because your order of operations was-

1. Try the solo scenario without paying attention to what's happening.
2. Come to the forums to complain that it's too hard.
3. Look at your talents to see if you might be able to get more survivability where you need it.
4. Look at your spellbook and see all of these excellent control and defensive abilities at your disposal.

That's the problem. Your knee-jerk reaction was to complain, instead of using tools right there in the game. Rather than improve or even just READ, you instantly give up and declare that it's too hard, when it's obvious you've ignored all of your interesting abilities. Rogues have a bit more than just SS/Evisc.
Edited by Breathkeeper on 3/18/2013 11:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]